Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
Dick,
I don't intend to start an argument by any stretch of The imagination, as that is not good for ANY class. And, I have nothing I'll to say about the "Mini-Marbleheads" in the RG65, 36/600, or US1M boats.

I will simply request that we please keep the thread pure to what we are talking about, the Marblehead 50/800

Thanks
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:15 AM
Joined May 2012
84 Posts
Thanks for the input regards cheapo winches. Maybe this VSD will go into a cheapo IOM I've got sitting here and I'll buy one of Rob Guyatt's excellent RMG's.

I've read the Eurgles self destruct. Looking at the size of the thing no wonder. But @ around $15 they do look pretty damn good.

Once I get a bit further along with the hulls I'll post a few pics if that's okay. The design is fairly interesting in that its all flat carbon panels, so is very easy to put together. Only takes a couple of hours to produce a hull with nothing but a bit of masking tape and some epoxy.
basildog is offline Find More Posts by basildog
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:26 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
204 Posts
(UK) RM Championship preview

Guys,
Please view the 'Yachts and Yachting' magazine online link. On there is a great preview of the up and coming UK Championships. I think this race will be the best Marblehead race we have seen in a long time. An international field with multi World, European and National champions in attendance. Then there are alot of very capable hopefuls determined to make a mark.

A race not to be missed.
JT

Preview: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/new...ionals-preview

Competition Website: http://rmnationals2012.wordpress.com
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basildog View Post
Thanks for the input regards cheapo winches. Maybe this VSD will go into a cheapo IOM I've got sitting here and I'll buy one of Rob Guyatt's excellent RMG's.

I've read the Eurgles self destruct. Looking at the size of the thing no wonder. But @ around $15 they do look pretty damn good.

Once I get a bit further along with the hulls I'll post a few pics if that's okay. The design is fairly interesting in that its all flat carbon panels, so is very easy to put together. Only takes a couple of hours to produce a hull with nothing but a bit of masking tape and some epoxy.

Huh, cool
Sounds like a chine-hull made of carbon?
Chine hulls are very quick & easy to put together. And, Like anything else, if built right will be plenty fast.

Is there a source someone may go to for the plans? Don't know if they are produced, but maybe someone reading this would like to know where to get a copy of those.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
You can't win a race if you don't sail. And you can't sail when your boat is in thermal meltdown mode.
That's reason enough for me not to spend a cent on that winch.
It's the Eurgle's that I've found to have issues (but only on fun-day sailing. Only once have I had an issue with them during a Regatta). I have a VSD-22YMB on order right now. I will be evaluating it when it comes in.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:03 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Dick,
I don't intend to start an argument by any stretch of The imagination, as that is not good for ANY class. And, I have nothing I'll to say about the "Mini-Marbleheads" in the RG65, 36/600, or US1M boats.

I will simply request that we please keep the thread pure to what we are talking about, the Marblehead 50/800

Thanks
I believe I was keeping it "pure" - and only pointing out that those seeking plans could easily adapt the RG "FREE" plans to build to the 50/800 class specs. There was no mention of any of the other classes (by me) and there were a series of posts by others asking about plans. As has been said - the class should be first and forget the "name" of the design - thus any design built could be 50/800 and provide opportunities to see more and different boats on the water. I didn't think the thread was exclusive to only "pure or original designs" - but perhaps I am wrong. Didn't mean to step into your parade - apologies .....
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
I believe I was keeping it "pure" - and only pointing out that those seeking plans could easily adapt the RG "FREE" plans to build to the 50/800 class specs. There was no mention of any of the other classes (by me) and there were a series of posts by others asking about plans. As has been said - the class should be first and forget the "name" of the design - thus any design built could be 50/800 and provide opportunities to see more and different boats on the water. I didn't think the thread was exclusive to only "pure or original designs" - but perhaps I am wrong. Didn't mean to step into your parade - apologies .....

I mis-read your post, and that's my fault.
I didn't read that it was taking another class' plans and manipulating them to fit the Marblehead.. My bad I make mistakes like anyone else.

I was slightly short-tempered as we have already passed over one RG-65 post watering down our conversation.

The root of the problem is:
The Marblehead, like all classes has suffered from the diluting and watering down of fleets through the creation of more & more & more classes.

We are talking about Marblehead 50/800 class boats in this thread, We are an established class with over FOUR-THOUSAND boats registered. When people continue to come out of the woodwork, and, if we re-gain previous form, Yes, this will be our parade.

I apologise.
Perhaps you could contribute to the thread by offering scaled-up plans for a Marblead that were developed from one of the RG-65s.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Jan 2006
573 Posts
While I have 3 M's and also sail RG's. A competitive modern M probably wont be a scaled RG. Current M designs are about 8 to 9 lb displacement which is a 500g RG. Most RG designs are closer to 1000g and when scaled up is 17 lb +. Older designs can be successfully scaled up/down. This could be a good place to start with a high flier boat.

Now with that said, some day I am going to build a vane M based on the ranger RG65. The rules for the SFMYC vane M have a much higher minimum weight 15lb or so.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,070 Posts
I love Marbleheads, hands down my favorite class. But, they are dead around here. I see the RG65 as a gateway boat. If you could get someone into an RG65, it is only a matter of time before they are building an M. I do not have any problem bringing up RG65s in this thread. Solings, Nirvanas, EC12 (ichh!) and such, well that's another story.
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
I love Marbleheads, hands down my favorite class. But, they are dead around here. I see the RG65 as a gateway boat. If you could get someone into an RG65, it is only a matter of time before they are building an M. I do not have any problem bringing up RG65s in this thread. Solings, Nirvanas, EC12 (ichh!) and such, well that's another story.
I know nothing about the RG-65. If you think it's a gateway boat, then that is a good thing.

Like I mentioned, I have no intent to start an argument.. as It's not good for ANY class.. But the reason we are where we are is due to watering down of ALL the classes, people take ideas from one class and feel fit to make a "new" class out of it. I'd rather focus my attention on something well-established that only requires people to look into their closet and have an "ah-ha! moment"

It was inevitable that some class came into this thread and wanted some action..I only hope that this thread is as close to 440 Stainless Steel as we can get. If you think the RG-65 degrades us to 316 stainless, then good, we're still on the right track.
I only hope that any one else who cares about the M doesn't allow us to turn into Chinese metal.

The fact is, It's survival of the fittest. And, the fact is that the M is strong, and maybe even stronger than ALL classes if we get up off the deck.

I also sail one of those Ichh! boats.... (type will go un-named) But I love it for the fact that it is a complete polar-opposite to the M.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
There are two "Modern" Marbleheads on the AMYA classifieds right now.

One is a Skapel
The other A Sterne Viper.

I can't help with a finely-tuned valuation on the Skapel, but I own Two Bob Sterne Vipers, with 3 rigs, and 3 keels. and, I know what they are worth.
If anyone has any interest in that boat, I'd be more than happy to help in a realistic valuation of the boat. The rest of the negotiation is up to you.

http://www.theamya.org/classifieds/

I'd love nothing more than to have another M come to reality. out of the closet, onto the pond.

In my opinion the Marblehead equation is:
OLD Ms need to realize they are not "obsolete"
New Ms need to come to a financial reality.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,070 Posts
The thing that I love about the Marbleheads, beside the fact that they are awesome sailors, is that they are a designer/builder boat. They are not meant for the faint of heart. Every class does not have to be an inexpensive entry level class. Yes, AMYA has been completely diluted by "one design" kit boats. There are really not too many development classes left. Really just the M and the IOM. The RG65 fits right in with those two, only small, inexpensive and easy to build.
Gregg28 is online now Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,459 Posts
Here's some results, and some forthcoming Marblehead happenings in the New-England Area.
I know of atleast 1 skipper coming to Marblehead from Wisconsin for the VM nationals, and encourage others to join us.

I have edited Skippers names to just initials, out of resect for their privacy. John Snow said he didn't mind my using his name, so I've left that.
it does make for somewhat of a difficult read.

2012 BILL FULL CUP VM REGATTA – June 9
By John Snow

Overview
Ten skippers competed in twelve heats on Saturday, June 9, at Redd’s Pond in the Marblehead MYC 17th “Full” Cup VM Regatta. For season points, it was VM #3 race. Saturday had variable light NW to E winds with sun and mid-70s temperatures. Special thanks to J.C. for scoring using the AMYA low-point method. AMYA M Class early design skippers again joined VM skippers this year, as club is promoting them to help reinvigorate the M Class. There were two VM design categories for awards: Traditional (TD) 1930-1945 VMs and High Flyer (HF) 1946-1970 VMs, plus 1971-1985 AMYA M (AM) designs. HF VM fleet winner was awarded the perpetual Full Cup alternated yearly between the VM groups. Two TD and four HF VM boats raced along with four AMs – Toad (2), Epic and Kisuch. A.A. (NH), R.H. (IL) and T.M. (ME) were our out-of-state competitors.

Results
Club nautical chart award plaques were presented to the top-two skippers in each VM category and AMs, along with perpetual Bill Full Cup. Results had S.G. as AM and overall regatta winner with his 1982 Toad. He won four first places edging out J.S. by one point. John was first in the HF VMs with his late 1960s Magic Dragon and took home the Full Cup. B.M. was first in VM TR group with his 1935 Madcap. Of note, this was first race for R.H. beautiful new 1961 UK Witchcraft HF boat. At 23 pounds, it was gauged too heavy for this light air. J.L. finished close third with 1975 Epic design. Andy A.A. and T.M. came in second in the VM HF and TD groups. There is now expected to be some “bragging rights” discussion between them upcoming WoodenBoat School model yacht building course. We suspect this could be decided by A's first place finish

2012 FULL CUP VM REGATTA SUMMARY – TWELVE HEATS
PLACE SKIPPER POINTS FIRSTs DESIGN
1 S.G. 34 4 1980s Toad (AM)
2 J.S. 35 2 1960s Magic Dragon (HF)
3 J.L. 38 3 1970s Epic (AM)
4 R.L. 60 1980s Toad (AM)
5 B.M. 67 1 1930s Madcap (TD)
6 A.A. 68 1 1950s Naskeag (HF)
7 E.W. 73 1 1980s Kisuch (AM)
8 R.H. 83 1960s Witchcraft (HF)
9 T.M. 84 1930s Iduna (TD)
10 B.T. 130 1960s Soling M (HF)

NOTES:
1) Laconia MYC VM Regatta is July 7, Saturday, at Lily Pond by Laconia Airport. Check with Bill Hagerup for details at billhagerup(at) hotmail(dot)com

2) US VMYG National Regatta for V36, VM and AM models is at Redd’s Pond July 19-22. Check with John Snow for details at jsnowj(at)comcast(dot)net
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
879 Posts
Hey guys
I am finally taking a step forward with this project, as opposed to spinning my
wheels. I have been working on this over the winter, and am just now having
the time to get some paint on. Took this pic yesterday when I sprayed the
bottom. I took pics today after I did the topsides, but the images were all blurred.
(topsides are hunter green)I am going to try and do the waterline tomorrow-
so will try for more pics after that.
Then I still have to deck it.
but,progress is progress-hoping for early July maiden voyage...
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,136 Posts
Quote:
............ (snip) ....Perhaps you could contribute to the thread by offering scaled-up plans for a Marblehead that were developed from one of the RG-65s.
I will take a look in some of my old files. Actually, I may have been one of many that contributed to the watering down of the 50/800 back in mid/late 1980's. I grabbed the lines for the 50/800 "WIND" that had been published in a now "dead" model magazine and built to 36/600 size. It wasn't fast for that class as it was wood strips (not balsa) and the composites were just starting to show up, but I was racing big boats then, so it was strictly a pond/hobby boat. My reasoning at the time was the size was great for travel - was compact, and had decent lines and looks. I will see what I can find. I believe they were only shadow templates. If I find I will rescan and post.

While a set of old boat original plans will easily position the boat in a specific category in the class - I would like to see some further discussion on what dimensions would place a new hull design into which category. Does a skinny boat automatically move it to the newer category of boats or is there a combination of various measurements and materials used that would determine it's fate? I know there have been "category" names dropped (not sure what to call them - and not trying to venture from the 50/800 designation) so it would be helpful if those who have held on to the class could provide a bit more detail on how or when/why a yacht, 50 inches long with 800 square inches of sail area is categorized.

Thanks
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.