HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Ventus vs. Phoenix 2000?

Hello! I was just seeing what people had to say about these two planes.
I want to get into gliders mostly so I can do fpv and stay in the air much longer.
I was looking at these two from hobbyking, the ARF versions
Ventus: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ider_KIT_.html

or

Phoenix 2000: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ider_ARF_.html

They are both around 50$ and ill be using my own electronics. Want to do fpv around the lake.

Ventus got my attention since its the biggest and has flexible wings. I will not use the retracts really.

Both seem like nice designs, anyone used or know anything related to any of them?
Thanks!
ihor14448 is online now Find More Posts by ihor14448
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor14448 View Post
Hello! I was just seeing what people had to say about these two planes.
I want to get into gliders mostly so I can do fpv and stay in the air much longer.
I was looking at these two from hobbyking, the ARF versions
Ventus: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ider_KIT_.html

or

Phoenix 2000: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ider_ARF_.html

They are both around 50$ and ill be using my own electronics. Want to do fpv around the lake.

Ventus got my attention since its the biggest and has flexible wings. I will not use the retracts really.

Both seem like nice designs, anyone used or know anything related to any of them?
Thanks!
I have the HK Ventus and I would say that the Ventus design begins nose heavy, and putting more equipment up there would make it even worse. The stab is not big enough to handle a nose heavy condition. This plane is more for scale looks than for carrying a load. Wing loading is already heavy.

I don't know anything about the Phoenix 2000, don't have one.

For FPV you probably want a real slow flying plane.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I have the HK Ventus and I would say that the Ventus design begins nose heavy, and putting more equipment up there would make it even worse. The stab is not big enough to handle a nose heavy condition. This plane is more for scale looks than for carrying a load. Wing loading is already heavy.

I don't know anything about the Phoenix 2000, don't have one.

For FPV you probably want a real slow flying plane.
Thanks for the input. I didnt realize at first that gliders needed some speed. I just thought the bigger the wings the better.
I am actually looking at the hobbyking bixler since they ship them from USA, or I will have to buy the phoenix 2000 plug and play which I dont need.

Thanks
ihor14448 is online now Find More Posts by ihor14448
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor14448 View Post
Thanks for the input. I didnt realize at first that gliders needed some speed. I just thought the bigger the wings the better.
I am actually looking at the hobbyking bixler since they ship them from USA, or I will have to buy the phoenix 2000 plug and play which I dont need.

Thanks
The Ventus needs speed due to skinny scale wings.

The Radian or Radian Pro (I have a Pro) have much more wing area and so less wing loading, but there is not a lot of room in the fuse for FPV gear. I have seen some folks use them for fpv, but it's not the best. Most serious fpv fliers build thier own plane with big fat wings and large fuselages.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
549 Posts
I fly the Phoenix as a sloper and it is a nice plane which flys great in strong and weak wind. The plastic fuse is a big plus as well.
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
My HK 2M MINIMOA carries a camera easily and flies like a champ...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:27 PM
France
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
The Phoenix is really stable and can fly really slowly. It also can handle more weight easily.
traumkumy is offline Find More Posts by traumkumy
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Try MPX Cularis.I made with it my longest flight ever - 2.5h!
Very stable and can handle hard use
cbjuss is offline Find More Posts by cbjuss
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
If it flies, I'm in!
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
I own a Phoenix 2000. It was my first plane and I love it. I live in northern Canada where winds will blow you over and it flies great. Mix your flaps in to your ail channel to speed up your roll rate. It will barrel roll but needs some rudder/elevator to make it smooth. I'm high winds it will float forever. In low winds it flies fast and fun. Totally reccomend this plane and like it was mentioned, the plastic fuse helps A LOT. When I finally wreck this one I plan on buying another just like it.
BrownEye is offline Find More Posts by BrownEye
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
590 Posts
brown eye:
Is it more like a warm liner? I am interested in one also but I am looking for a thermal glider not a hot rod.
Thanks Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:57 AM
France
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
The phoenix is almost as good as a Radian pro for thermaling (ie very good) but can also fly in windy condition, and aswell sloping if you are not afraid by the flex of the wing and by his slow rolling rate. But it's not an hotliner, it doesn't really like to fly fast.

If you set it up with quadro, you can improve rolling rate, thermaling and make it land in your hand. For it's price it's really really versatile but with a strong thermaling orientation.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:01 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjuss View Post
Try MPX Cularis.I made with it my longest flight ever - 2.5h!
Very stable and can handle hard use

I second that...

The MPX Cularis is a great glider
alot better then the HK Pheonix which I've had..
Stay away from the Fox ( I've a ST Model Fox) there to fast for what your after...

Sean.

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
i WANT TO BUY ONE OF THAT TOW GLIDERS (PHOENIX 2000 OR VENTUS)
What you sudgest for normal fly on sloap soaring (without motor) for long gluy time and sometimes on big park?
(on sloap soaring I never use the motor only for help
I'm not a beginner with the stick
I have good inch( but I'm not very experienced. I want a model not fragile but fast enough. I found it very slow (no engine) swing II ms composit ... mo, lto easy to move and easy to land. I want something faster, but that does not have big problems with stalling. The wind in the slope varies between 10 km / h and 30 km / h. thx
I see a,lso ONE OTHER GLIDER... planes : ASK 21-EP-EPO
If you want you can sudgest me other gliders (I dont buy the radiant pro beacuse I reqad it was more expensive and slower and less agile than phoenix 2000)
p.s:
all the people who see me say that flying is very good (in fact I get along very well) but I have little experience .

An example: the EasyGlider is fun, a bit slow and dont have the flaps to learn how to use them ... never used, unless the simulator where the planes fly very well but not with large gliders (I can not understand the current air on a tv )
artesina is offline Find More Posts by artesina
Last edited by artesina; Jul 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
France
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Hi,

Not to make my publicity or whatever but here is a vid of a phoenix2000 on slope. (wind was around 30km/h):
Hobby King Phoenix 2000 slope session at Beynes. (3 min 41 sec)

Don't know for the ventus, but the phoenix is a bit slow on roll, at least without installing quadros, that's why there is no barrel on my vid. But it still fun, it can fly in nothing (<10km/h) and looks nice in the air.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
what is quadros. I can install?
How I can install and where I can find on hobbyking?
thx
My intention on sloap...
I want to go up a slope with only the wind and thermal currents. Ence engine pick up speed and doing stupid stunts without a motor.
It is possible?
I have to modify the glider?
thx
artesina is offline Find More Posts by artesina
Last edited by artesina; Jul 30, 2012 at 06:07 AM.