HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,925 Posts
Discussion
All better!

It took a bit of doing via different internet vendors and a bit of shopping at the local hobby shop, but the 450TT is back together and, I daresay, better than ever.

Oddly enough, a genuine Align tail boom fit poorly - it was too tight a fit - and didn't look as good as the original. Hobby King was sold out of the "Mighty Morphin Power Ranger" canopies, hardly surprising at less than three bucks a pop compared to $23 for a fiberglass Align unit...which also didn't seem to fit as well.

I found a domestic source for the parts including the canopy, namely Xheli.com. They had the the EXI brand parts for just a little more than Hobby King. OK, so the tail boom now says "EXI-HOBBY." Whee.

So, my little clone is now sporting some Align goodies, namely the torque tube, mainshaft, feathering shaft, feathering shaft dampers and skids, which are now white instead of black. Makes a BIG difference in the air. Looks classy, too.

All else is well, except overtightening the the prop retainer nuts on the quadcopter after losing one (nearly $20 to replace it with tax and shipping) caused two of the the props to fail as I was taking off. Solution: APC slow-flyer props! Normal rotation, reverse rotation.

I have some quad props from another mail order source on the way, but for now, the quad flies great on the APC's with a little bit of help from the brass bushings on the original props.

Until next time...have fun flying!
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
to remove ads between posts