SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
Registered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2011
228 Posts
I want to order one of those but late BEVRC news stopping me to hit the buy button. I heard their website was hacked and dont know if they turned their system back to normal and is stable now. Also reading some reviews about their 0 support about returning the broken or missed items.

Anyone can advice here?
slarys is offline Find More Posts by slarys
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
90 Posts
Mine arrived as well.

I saw on their web site they only ship the carbon fiber spars with a plane. I did not notice this when I ordered mine. Can I just pick some up at a local hobby shop and do most builders put in this extra strength precaution? If so is there a recommended size and shape? This will be my first skywalker and I am just reading a little about the wings being a little weak.
Jim2011 is offline Find More Posts by Jim2011
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:16 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Can you please also post a pic of the end of one wing half, where it is joined with the other wing, looking along the wing? This is to let us get a feel of the airfoil used.
I attach a pic of an earlier version wing to show you what I mean.

Thank you.
Sure, I will post one later today when I get home from work.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:23 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I wonder if it's using the same joiner rod as the X8, which is significantly sturdier
than the original Skywalker joiner (no idea how it compares to the V5 joiner).

ian
My V5 wing is glued together so I can't compare it but I will take some measurements and post them up later today.

The new Skywalker did come with better control horns. They came with back plates and screws. My V5 came with ones you just push into the foam.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Registered User
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarys View Post
I want to order one of those but late BEVRC news stopping me to hit the buy button. I heard their website was hacked and dont know if they turned their system back to normal and is stable now. Also reading some reviews about their 0 support about returning the broken or missed items.

Anyone can advice here?
Dont want to go go off topic here, but they NEVER replied to 5 emails I have sent them regading a few questions of some of their products, this was over a three month period.

I was going to get a SK and a bunch of FPV equipment from them but held back as well.

I have started a thread here inquiring about their customer service

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594363
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
Registered User
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
My V5 wing is glued together so I can't compare it but I will take some measurements and post them up later today.

The new Skywalker did come with better control horns. They came with back plates and screws. My V5 came with ones you just push into the foam.
Just for the wing or the entire SW?
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
rcmonster99's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
Here are some pictures of the new wing. The fuselage looks the same as V5.
definitely the wing chord is wider the profile looks thicker and there seems to be an undercamber which should improve the gliding .
it looks like these wings will slot straight in any version fuselage.

can't wait to see some reports on flight performance !
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Can you please also post a pic of the end of one wing half, where it is joined with the other wing, looking along the wing? This is to let us get a feel of the airfoil used.
I attach a pic of an earlier version wing to show you what I mean.

Thank you.
Here is that side view you wanted.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:47 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I wonder if it's using the same joiner rod as the X8, which is significantly sturdier
than the original Skywalker joiner (no idea how it compares to the V5 joiner).

ian
The joiner rod is 43.25" long by 10mm. The CF is 1.2mm thick.

Sorry for the standard and metric measurements. How does that compare to the X8?
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
529 Posts
You might find CF strips, tubes, etc. at your local hobby shop(s)

If you don't have a local option, you can order that stuff from rcfoam.com - They have a pretty good selection of carbon stock.

Also, regarding rcfoam.com, I feel I need to tell you that I have no prior experience ordering from there. I did place a small order yesterday (for the first time) and so far, everything is going smoothly. The shipped it today and sent tracking #.

I'm not sure if there are any other/better online sources for carbon stock. rcfoam.com is the best I've found so far...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2011 View Post
I saw on their web site they only ship the carbon fiber spars with a plane. I did not notice this when I ordered mine. Can I just pick some up at a local hobby shop and do most builders put in this extra strength precaution? If so is there a recommended size and shape? This will be my first skywalker and I am just reading a little about the wings being a little weak.
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
Registered User
ashdec87's Avatar
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
man that CF rod just looks too small for that big wing..... Two of those would work great...

I would definitely put a ribbon or two in the wings to help. Maybe make the wing a one piece and have CF going across the joint..
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Maybe make the wing a one piece and have CF going across the joint..
That's a looong wing to fit in a car!
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:43 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
The joiner rod is 43.25" long by 10mm. The CF is 1.2mm thick.

Sorry for the standard and metric measurements. How does that compare to the X8?
X8's joiner is shorter, same OD, and I think the same wall thickness. It's definitely a lot
sturdier than the old Skywalker joiners, but then it had two of them.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
That's a looong wing to fit in a car!
I've got truck with a bed cover so its not a big deal for me to transport. My old wing gets most of it's bumps and bruises from hauling back and forth from the tuck to the house. Bumping in the walls and scraping it turning the corners. It would be nice to have a 2 piece wing but It seems so much stronger glued together.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:25 AM
ScratchCrasher
sfakias's Avatar
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
Here is that side view you wanted.
Thank you very much cabster101!
It is now obvious that they changed the airfoil used, as well as the wing dimensions.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Skywalker 168cm FPV plane Fergus FPV Aircraft 18777 Yesterday 11:27 PM
Discussion Sander's Skywalker FPV camera plane build ssassen FPV Aircraft 134 Mar 30, 2014 10:52 AM
Discussion New Forum Suggestion: Skywalker 168cm FPV / UAV plane heinduplessis New Forum Requests 69 Jun 27, 2012 07:23 AM
Sold LPU Northwest Mo or San Antonio, Tx. Skywalker fpv plane fully set up and ready to go randall1959 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Jan 14, 2012 08:29 AM
Discussion New FPV Plane from Skywalker borneobear FPV Aircraft 10 May 13, 2011 06:09 AM