Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Really Ian ? I see the X8 as a skywalker without the downsides

Load carying capacity - Yes
Flight duration of a walker - Yes + more
Stable - Yes

Badly designed wings that snap at the thought of doing a roll - Nope
Spare problems with wing design - Nope
Weak rear stab`s - Nope

Its got all the right features of a Skywalker, with none of the crap engineering you get with a walker. Win win to me
sounds interesting, I dont want to derail the thread but where can you buy the X8?
DiabloKid is online now Find More Posts by DiabloKid
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:52 PM
FPV 23Km
Portugal, Faro
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
BEVRC.com
lbarreiro is online now Find More Posts by lbarreiro
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,971 Posts
Maiden

Just got back from the maiden flight, it went well. Here is the quick and dirty, my CG is at 4 in from LE, i'm going to move it back to 4.5 in from LE (mid wing). As soon as i took off i let up on the lelevator and is nosed over almost into the ground, as you can see in the video. Then on climbout my motor started to surge (you can hear it on the video), i throttled back to 3/4 and it went away. Any ideas on that??? It was a bit windy which would tend to catch the big wing on turns but other than that she flew fine.
I installed flaps on a 3 position switch, up-30-60. She slows down nicely with full flaps and glides in. This was a LOS flight but i did have everything onboard, maybe one or two more test flights to get her dialed in and then i'll go full FPV. AUW 5lbs 4oz.

Kyle

Skywalker V5.1 1900mm maiden.wmv (6 min 15 sec)
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Last edited by gromitvt10; Mar 15, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
32 Posts
Skywalker 1900

Well I started work on my Skywalker 1900 today. The only thing I got done was installing an extra 5mm spar in the wings. I extended the flap grooves out, poked the spar through the edge of the wings and layered it really good with epoxy. Has anyone used hot glue on their install yet? The instructions call to use it when installing the servos in the tail, but it seems like the heat would melt the foam. I included my build list as an attachment and pics of what I did so far. The build list includes links to the sites I bought my parts from, and the prices include shipping. As some of you will notice I did make seperate orders to the same sites a couple of times. This cost me more for shipping. If I had come up with a list like this before hand it would definitely saved me a little cash on shipping. Take a look and leave some feedback. I'm very open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Thanks!
heath.collmer is offline Find More Posts by heath.collmer
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:39 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath.collmer View Post
Well I started work on my Skywalker 1900 today. The only thing I got done was installing an extra 5mm spar in the wings. I extended the flap grooves out, poked the spar through the edge of the wings and layered it really good with epoxy. Has anyone used hot glue on their install yet? The instructions call to use it when installing the servos in the tail, but it seems like the heat would melt the foam. I included my build list as an attachment and pics of what I did so far. The build list includes links to the sites I bought my parts from, and the prices include shipping. As some of you will notice I did make seperate orders to the same sites a couple of times. This cost me more for shipping. If I had come up with a list like this before hand it would definitely saved me a little cash on shipping. Take a look and leave some feedback. I'm very open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Thanks!
interesting list and very detailed. I am worried for you though. I can see you are using 2.4GHz for VTX but I also see you are using 5.8GHz for your fatsharks... however the VTX and VRX are not compatible...they operate on fifferent frequencies...
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone used hot glue on their install yet? The instructions call to use it when installing the servos in the tail, but it seems like the heat would melt the foam.
Hi.

I regularly use hotglue on foam. My hotglue gun will melt the foam if I allow it to heat up for long time and achieve its maximum temperature. What I do is unplug it before it heats up too much. With a little practice, you can feel that the gun is at the correct temperature by touching it (NOT at the nozzle!). If it heats too much, just wait for some time to cool down before applying the hotglue onto the foam.

Maybe there are hotglue guns with temperature setting on them, or you could build a circuit to limit its operating temperature, similar to a temerature limiting circuit that you would use on a hot wire cutter. However, I find that the method I described above is surely good enough for proper results - it just requires some practice to develop your judgment about the gun temerature, and about how different type of foams handle different hotglue temperatures. Practice on scrap foam pieces, not on your Skywalker's tail .

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
32 Posts
Hi rcmonster. Thanks for the reply! I wanted to make the list detailed so that maybe it would help someone out in the future. It took a lot of research for me to decide what I wanted and hopefully the list will help some other noobs lol. My plan is to used 2.4 from the plane to groundstation, then retransmit in 5.8 from the ground station to the fatsharks. Planning to put the video splitter in the middle so that I can supply a passenger screen or two and a recorder. This is the only way I could think of to get long distance out of the fatsharks. Has anyone else tried this?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
32 Posts
Thanks sfakias! I will definitely do a little practice on some old foam first! That would be cool if you could regulate the temp. Maybe put a variable voltage knob inline with the power wire?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Thanks sfakias! I will definitely do a little practice on some old foam first! That would be cool if you could regulate the temp. Maybe put a variable voltage knob inline with the power wire?
Yes. Some people use a dimmer switch to regulate the temperature. But as I told you, there is no need for that, and if you can avoid messing with the mains power, it is best to do so. There is actually a big working temperature window between the point where the foam melts, and the point where the hotglue does not flow easily. You will find that there is no real need for temperature control device.

Good luck!
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,127 Posts
Quote:
My plan is to used 2.4 from the plane to groundstation, then retransmit in 5.8 from the ground station to the fatsharks.
this is ok and no problem, but the 5.8VTX you chose is not compatible with the fatshark's receiver .
check it out
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
32 Posts
Oh.... how do I find out which 5.8 tx is compatible with it?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,127 Posts
Quote:
Oh.... how do I find out which 5.8 tx is compatible with it?
this is on bevrc website
"Based on airwave module, fully compatible with ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8G video Tx. 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz"

the foxtech VTX you bought has " Working frequencies: CH1:5705 - CH2:5685 - CH3:5665 - CH4:5645 - CH5:5885 - CH6:5905 - CH7:5925 - CH8:5945"

you will need this] which by the way is an excellent bit of kit.
I use the Foxrtech one and nearly fell in that trap
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
Just got back from the maiden flight, it went well. Here is the quick and dirty, my CG is at 4 in from LE, i'm going to move it back to 4.5 in from LE (mid wing). As soon as i took off i let up on the lelevator and is nosed over almost into the ground, as you can see in the video. Then on climbout my motor started to surge (you can hear it on the video), i throttled back to 3/4 and it went away. Any ideas on that??? It was a bit windy which would tend to catch the big wing on turns but other than that she flew fine.
I installed flaps on a 3 position switch, up-30-60. She slows down nicely with full flaps and glides in. This was a LOS flight but i did have everything onboard, maybe one or two more test flights to get her dialed in and then i'll go full FPV. AUW 5lbs 4oz.

Kyle
About the surging, what ESC are you using? Castle by any chance?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
You can get a glue gun with a low temp setting. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-DT-.../dp/B000J2D8QC

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:10 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post

Kyle
That can happen if the battery can't put out the amps the motor needs at full throttle. The ESC pulses the power to keep the battery from going below the cutoff voltage. Maybe check the amps with that battery on the bench with an ammeter.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73