SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
best car under 100$

was looking for my first hobby grade rc car and have looked at a few. I checked out the losi mini line but after watching the video they were terribly slow without upgrades. is there a reasonable Chinese rc that's fast rtr?
Michaels90na is offline Find More Posts by Michaels90na
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:13 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
Just like in the full scale world speed equals money. $100.00 is not going to get you far. You might find a good used Rustler and up grade it but you will be over $100.00. Save up a bit more if you can it can be done for $200.00 to 250.00 if you look and have a little luck on your side.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Fast Cheap Reliable. Pick 2, but can't have all 3.
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
At $69, the Turnigy 1/16 Monster Beetle is a great value for the money. On 2S, It's as fast, if not faster than my Slash 4x4. On 3S, it's basically a guided missle It also shares ALOT of parts with the Kyosho Mini-Inferno, so parts are available from a variety of sources. I'm throughly enjoying mine

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mp_System.html

It's not RTR, but you can throw in the FlySky GT3B Tx:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_System_.html
It's a very good radio, especially for the price. It's backordered from HK at the moment, but the same radio is available from a number of vendors.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Feb 13, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
I might have to get one of those bugs, looks cool!

I just bought a gt3b and got it on Friday. Already have converted it
To lipo use and a few other mods. Can't beat extra rx's for
7.40 each....

I bought one extra with my radio
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
$110 buys a nice Exceed or Redcat racing buggy RTR. It's no Losi or Traxxas, but well worth the money. I have 3 of this brand and they are find for casual use, but not racing. FYI, Redcat, Exceed, and HSP are all the same brand. That's where you are with that budget. You can also get a Duratrax Evader RTR for about $120, but that's 2 wheel drive and not near as stable when pushed around on slippery ground. I know, I have one of those too. But at least you have a name brand and it's well built, except for the radio, Exceeds have nice 2.4G radios.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
Consumer of Toast
USA, NY, Ashville
Joined Nov 2010
258 Posts
My wife got me an ECX Smash for Christmas. They are 79.99. Out of the box it runs on AA battries. but I put a Lipo in it and its all good. no other mods and its pretty quick. Plus it take 99% of the Mini T parts so the options for upgrades are almost endless. I have a Lipo, Losi oil shocks, and some bearings in the wheels and its a blast to play with.
KrazyKoots is offline Find More Posts by KrazyKoots
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
USA, AR, Greenbrier
Joined Jan 2011
134 Posts
ECX Ruckus can be found for $119,
Its the same chassis as the Torment Short Course truck so later you could add bumpers, body and wheels and have a SCT.
I have a pair of torments and the 20T motor isn;t as slow as you would think and are a blast around the yard.
We also have a Duratrax Evader. Its not as fast as the ECX trucks but it handles better.
I just ordered a 17T Thunder tiger motor for it.
another to consider is the Thunder Tiger Phoenix Stadium Truck. Its actually the old Losi design, but so is the Evader if I remember right.
Caish is offline Find More Posts by Caish
Old Sep 02, 2014, 09:37 AM
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
The ECX Torment 1:18 4wd 2.4Gh i a RC and it is RTR
This is a link to it http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX01001
it is $100.
Hope this helps
Benjamin1314 is offline Find More Posts by Benjamin1314
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:06 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin1314 View Post
The ECX Torment 1:18 4wd 2.4Gh i a RC and it is RTR
This is a link to it http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX01001
it is $100.
Hope this helps

I do hope that 2 1/2 year later the topic starter will already have made his choice, and isn't still waiting for an answer.

But your suggestion might help others that have this question now, so thanks for the input.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 03, 2014, 09:57 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
You know, for all the knocks on cheap cars, it's amazing these days they are even available. Back in the day, as cheap as you could go was $130 for a kit. I remember going through this with a friend's dad who was about to lose it in the hobby shop on my friend's birthday. Then $100 for a crap radio, the $30 for ONE Nicad battery. And then we used a charge cable $10 cause it was the cheapest option, and that thing was a fire hazard. My friend EXPLODED his Nicad when he forgot it plugged into the lawnmower. Thinks have come a long way.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 03, 2014, 10:36 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Cheap cars allow many more people access to the hobby. I would never have tried an on-road car or rock crawler if Exceed and the like weren't selling great entry level vehicles. No was was I going to shell out $300+ to try out something I might decide I don't really like. People often bag on the quality of the entry levels too, but I've found that many of them are as good as, and often better than, the entry level vehicles from some of the big names, but at a much smaller cost.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Sep 03, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Nov 2013
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
You know, for all the knocks on cheap cars, it's amazing these days they are even available. Back in the day, as cheap as you could go was $130 for a kit. I remember going through this with a friend's dad who was about to lose it in the hobby shop on my friend's birthday. Then $100 for a crap radio, the $30 for ONE Nicad battery. And then we used a charge cable $10 cause it was the cheapest option, and that thing was a fire hazard. My friend EXPLODED his Nicad when he forgot it plugged into the lawnmower. Thinks have come a long way.
And with discusions like this and all the other info out there you can research these company's and find out what's worth it. I couldn't imagine being in this hobby without the internet. I imagine things were a real gamble back in the day
jhazz138 is offline Find More Posts by jhazz138