SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Finally!

This one spent a while on the bench. Assembled from parts. Spektrum AR6400L RX. Gasparin 4:1 7mm gearbox with the stock DR.1 motor and a Micro Invent 5530 prop. It may be too large and I have a 5" if it is. One thing that annoys me about most WWI models is the tiny looking props that most of the gassers fly. I didn't want that on the DR.1. Thunder Power 160 mAH battery. Balances w/o added weight. Set the CG per the few posts I've read where the poster was happy with the handling AND wasn't complaining about tearing the gear and wings off of it. Paint is acrylic craft paint thinned with water and Windex and airbrushed. Pull-Pull controls. The black cowl is "scale", but I like the white one better. 35.1 g with battery. Maiden planned for this Saturday at the PERF Fly-In in Toledo.

I've also got an awesome pilot for it that needs to be painted. I've been pushing myself to get the plane flight ready for the last week or so and not miss the final indoor session of the season here.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
United States, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Nice Tim! I'm working on one now, It's going to be a four channel bird. I'll post some pictures after I get back from Toledo.

Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,963 Posts
Wow! Well done Tim. I really like the Black cowl, I think it looks much better with it esp if that's the scheme. Do you have any pic's of your motor/gearbox and pull/pull set up you can show?

Very cool. I still have to finish details on my F1 Voss Triplane.

Pete
mtflyr is online now Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Apr 14, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
OK I lied, I'm going to post one picture of where My DR 1 is right now! Still have to run the pull pull ailerons. But my goal is to maiden her next Saturday?

Jim
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,963 Posts
Looks great Jim, I really like the scheme too. I would like to see how you guys are setting up the more scale pull/pull system.

Pete
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypilot View Post
OK I lied, I'm going to post one picture of where My DR 1 is right now!
Nice, Jim.

What's the source of the graphics in the background?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,203 Posts
Super job Jim!
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Looks great Jim, I really like the scheme too. I would like to see how you guys are setting up the more scale pull/pull system.

Pete
First, thanks for the pilot figures! One will eventually find its way into the DR.1.

Luckily, I did remember to get a few pics.

I've had the 7mm Micro Invent/Gasparin gearbox for years and decided it was time to actually put it to use. I replaced the orange motor with the Albatros/DR.1 motor. The mount was fabricated with scrap foam and plywood. The gearbox mounts with screws. The gear mesh is also adjustable. It is a profound pleasure to work with something that was designed with the primary focus on overall quality and not making it cheap. Impressive enough that I purchased 1 or 2 more 7mm gearboxes and 2 6mm gearboxes (all I could locate). The dummy engine is glued to the cowl and the cowl is a light press fit to the front of the fuselage. The prop is retained with a screw, making the whole setup serviceable without pliers or cutting things apart. Cruise is less than half throttle with the big prop.

I made the pull-pull bellcranks and control horns with the holes the same distances between each pair, but the geometry still doesn't work perfectly. The pulling lines tighten up and the following side goes slack.

Got a short maiden in Saturday. Needed only a bit of down trim. It is a real floater and the rudder is very effective. Landing is a breeze. I did two ROG take-offs and neither one was very eventful as the run out was fairly short. No more difficult than the Albatros.

It will eventually get a pilot, guns, windscreen, the flying wire in the landing gear and cabanes, aileron cables and maybe a bit of light weathering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,963 Posts
Thanks Tim that gearbox set up is pretty cool. Thanks for the pic's on your pull/pull. I'm not sure on how it functions or why you might have slack from the pictures it's hard to tell. I thought I should ask though should you fix the lines at the horn ends? I usually did so with my pull/pulls, but again I'm not sure how yours is working.

Thanks,

Pete
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I thought I should ask though should you fix the lines at the horn ends? I usually did so with my pull/pulls, but again I'm not sure how yours is working.

Thanks,

Pete
?? Do mine appear "broken" ?

If you meant "How do I fix the lines at the horn ends?":
The ferrules are very small heat shrink cut to length and shrunk on a .020" rod. The .020" ID is big enough the feed the line through twice and small enough to keep things from slipping apart. A couple tiny dots of canopy glue fixes then in place. The excess line is snipped off with a finger nail clipper.

I wanted to use a fishing knot to attache the lines to the horns as I think they would appear more scale, but I couldn't keep track of the line well enough for them to come out tied neatly.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tim Wolff; Apr 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,963 Posts
Okay, that's what I do to with a dab of epoxy. I could not see that in the picture and wanted to be sure you did that so you wouldn't have that as a source for slack. Cool

Pete
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
My vid won't load? note to self, don't use your phone!
Last edited by pattypilot; Apr 19, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
OK, repackaged this one!

Jim

MY FOUR CHANNEL DR.3gp (0 min 50 sec)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,963 Posts
Jim,

Looks like it works great. Can you share a drawing of how you laid out your pull /pull system on the wings and tail sections?

Have you made your decals yet?

Thanks,

Pete
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
No dear, That isn't New!
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Thanks Pete, I cheated a little on the elevator and rudder! I started to make everything pull pull, but changed my mind! I used carbon rod and just re routed them. Then made a mock up pull pull for them. My ailerons are pull pull. and yes I’ll take some close up shots of the rigging. A buddy of mine shared this pull pull system that he has done with great success, and it can be a little tricky to do, but if you get it right, it’s great. No I have not made my decals yet! Soon I hope?

Jim