HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Discussion
Which 6 channel radio works with mcpxv2 and umx beast 3d?

Hey guys i want a relatively cheap and acceptable in quality radio that works with both those products as i cant afford too much money.
Any comments relating to this are welcome.
Thanks in advance!
Legendary_Agent is offline Find More Posts by Legendary_Agent
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,648 Posts
The UMX BEAST 3D & the MCP X v2 are BNF models which means Spektrum DSM2/DSMX transmitter is needed for it.
If you need/want a 6 channel radio then your choice is simple. Spektrum DX6i

UMX BEAST 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonhobby
Needed To Complete
- 4+ channel DSM2- or DSMX- compatible Transmitter
- Flight Battery
BLADE MCP X v2
Quote:
Needed To Complete
You will need a Spektrum DX4e, DX5e, or any programmable DSM2 or DSMX transmitter
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Feb 10, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:46 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,178 Posts
I agree. There's really no other transmitter that meets your requirements. Anything else new is more expensive.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:35 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I agree. There's really no other transmitter that meets your requirements. Anything else new is more expensive.
+1. DX6i will work for a while too! Had mine for just over a year now.
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Ok guys thanks a bunch also what do u mean it has a good lifetime? What components wear out even with carefull usage? thanks in advance!
PS: im sorry if these questions sound dumb to you i have no expeience at all with this.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Agent View Post
Ok guys thanks a bunch also what do u mean it has a good lifetime? What components wear out even with carefull usage? thanks in advance!
PS: im sorry if these questions sound dumb to you i have no expeience at all with this.
The DX6i is a perfectly good moderate priced radio that should last indefinitely with normal care. It's not as rugged as some, perhaps, but most transmitters will suffer broken switches, etc. if you drop them. I would expect the DX6i to last for years. Not sure why the issue even comes up.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Agent View Post
Ok guys thanks a bunch also what do u mean it has a good lifetime?
What do you mean? Check the previous post and don't see any comment/post that says this unless you are talking about a post from another thread.

I think what was ment is probably you are going to run into it's LIMITATIONS in X amount of time. Took me 6 months and couple of plane to run into its limits.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Soon I hope to be able to say there is a custom radio that supports 6 channels on DSM2 and DSMx.

Also if you want to do some hacking, the Turnigy 9x (and other names for the same thing) can be made to run the RF board out of a dx4e or dx5e giving you the same type of connection as the dx6i with a lot of different programming options. Please note this is not an off the shelf modification, you will need to be additional circuit boards and be able to do soldering and program the new firmware into the radio, you will also need to pull apart the dx4/5e to remove the RF board and solder it into the 9x.

I would say you could use a PPM to Spektrum module in a modular radio, but finding those is becoming extremely rare and expensive.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
What do you mean? Check the previous post and don't see any comment/post that says this unless you are talking about a post from another thread.

I think what was ment is probably you are going to run into it's LIMITATIONS in X amount of time. Took me 6 months and couple of plane to run into its limits.
Ok i guess i missunderstood, im glad i did it would be really dissapointing for me to buy a radio with a lifespan like that.
Could you please explain me some of the obvious limitations you have encountered? im curious about this.
Last edited by Legendary_Agent; Feb 10, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,648 Posts
The limitations are purely based on the fact that my plane collection and level of complexity out grew the DX6i.

With only 10 model memory you can quickly run out of room if you are addicted to the hobby as I am. The 2 MIX capability is also a big limit when your collection of plane will grow in sofistication. The 2 position switches also limit what you can do when for example you want 3 position for flaps.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,131 Posts
Some people only need 2 model memories, though. A DX6i with 10 is plenty of radio for many people. They're not all as badly addicted as some of us
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,648 Posts
And why I started my post indicating that the limitations are for me.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Ok well i believe i wont have the money to buy so many models, im planning umx beast 3d, multiplex funjet ultra, mcp x 2 and trex 450/500 or eflite 450/500 flybarless, im not planning to buy any more than those as those are already very expensive to me and im undecided wether i should start with dx6i and umx beast 3d combo or the mcpxv2 rtf.
Last edited by Legendary_Agent; Feb 10, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,648 Posts
Yes this does become an expensive hobby and is very addictive, good luck with your purchase. Regardless the route you go I am sure you will have fun.

DX6i is a great radio and why I still have it but may have to part with it to get the new DX18 cause I doubt HH/SPK/Andy will give me one for free to test and review.