HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:21 AM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Rant
Field Vandalism

The overview

Our flying field on the outskirts of town situated on pastoral lease (a bit like private property), on a nice quiet Sunday morning, prepping the powered glider for flight when several cars with trailers pull up in the field 100m away and unload what looks like dozens of Chinese pit bikes and assorted mongrel motocross bikes.

Within minutes the silence is shattered by the sound of out of tune, un muffled, two and four stroke motors running at full revs making enough noise to make anyone think a motocross event is being held with everyone using bad fuel.
This scenario occurs most weekends and when they get bored they knock down our field fences and tear up the runways.

The Law

The area being used is pastoral lease and can only be used with written permission of the lease holder. The aero club has perpetual rights to the field but the area next door has had the fences knocked down so often that the land owner has given up.
The local law enforcement doesnít care and will not uphold the law.

The solution

A large quadracopter with FPV system and a high powered paint ball gun mounted underneath.
I would have endless hours of fun picking off riders, pit crew, tow cars and anything that moves or should not be there.
Only problem is that paint ball guns are illegal in Australia and shooting someone with it would leave me in prison.

Other measures, best not mentioned, are being implemented which will hopefully drive them away.

End of rant
Peteren is offline Find More Posts by Peteren
Last edited by Peteren; Feb 26, 2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Title clarification
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:07 AM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
I had problems with dirt bikers crossing my property. They ignored the postings, and tore up a swampy area they drove through until it looked like a bowl of pudding. This was a great spot to bury pieces of boards with dozens of nails sticking out of them. Kinda funny how the boards would stick to the tires. Illegal? Absolutely! Prove-able? Nope.
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
What about ostentatiously filming all of this activity, with particular attention to license plates?

The boards and nails thing could get someone hurt. Many years ago, an RC club near me was disbanded after a night snowmobiler lost his head from a cable that wasn't even put up by the club. I'll admit I've had fantasies of putting flotation on nails to stop jet skis, which always seem to concentrate near other people.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Filming plates and giving this to the police would probably just brand me as a trouble maker and it may also be illegal here to film people without their permission.

The police are of the view that while the noise, dust and vandalism is happening out of town then itís OK because no one in town is being affected. That statement was made to me by the station duty officer.

Another officer I spoke to said that they are under instruction not to chase dirt bikes. He didnít explain why but pointed out the lack of ground clearance on his patrol car so I can only assume that damaging his taxpayer funded car is not permitted.

The really annoying thing is that a couple of kilometres away is an abandoned quarry where they can hoon away at their hearts content without bothering anyone but I feel that their nature is that there is no point doing what they do unless they are bothering someone.

I do intend to contact the land holder for permission ďrehabilitateĒ the area by putting a ripper through all of it and making it inaccessible to vehicles. I just need to find someone willing to let me borrow their D9 for a day.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
935 Posts
A Modest Proposal.......

If my memory serves me correctly, I think there are some ads in the back pages of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine put there by some nice honest hardworking folks who are seeking employment by providing solutions to problems such as the one you currently are having.

Just a thought -P
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, I think there are some ads in the back pages of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine put there by some nice honest hardworking folks who are seeking employment by providing solutions to problems such as the one you currently are having.

Just a thought -P
Love it
But I would need a lottery win to afford them
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,708 Posts
A strategically placed winch line between two poles about 3-4 feet tall will solve this pretty effectively.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
A strategically placed winch line between two poles about 3-4 feet tall will solve this pretty effectively.
Ouch

No, sorry canít go there, happened here 25 years ago when someone strung a wire across a dirt track and a trail biker got killed

I donít have anything against bikes, just when theyíre used in the wrong place. Iíve owned nearly 20 dirt bikes and 15 road bikes over the last 37 years and still ride a GSXR1000 when I get the time.

There is hundreds of square miles of bush around our town where people can ride without bothering anyone else.

One of our club members graded our dirt access road and car park last week and this morning I find that the car park has been used as a speedway circuit by someone on a quad bike and itís all cut up again.

Is a golf ball firing spud gun legal? Iíd imagine that getting hit by a golf ball travelling at 100mph may sting a little

That brings another thought to mind, maybe we should have a bomb drop comp using rotten eggs and arrange for everyone to miss the assigned target by lots.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Update

After an email to SAPOL (SA Police) they have responded by sending random patrol cars to the area to clear out the illegal bikes and placed an article in the local paper to remind riders that they need to be registered, licensed etc to ride on public land and they cannot ride on pastoral lease without written permission.

In the paper they also reminded parents that they can be charged with allowing their under aged children with riding unlicensed and unregistered
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Quite frankly I can't believe you even made a suggestion such as this! I find you're blatant disregard for human life disgusting. I sincerely hope that you meant this as a joke, a very bad joke in poor taste.

Peteren, sounds like you did the right thing and found a civil and effective solution to this issue.
BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:46 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Really irritating that those guys come tear up your place. But the fact that the police just does nothing i think is worse then what even the dirt bikers do. It would drive me nuts i am sure.

If it happens so often, why do they not just put a cop in a civilian car there, who can simply take pictures of the events and maybe even block their cars? They will eventualy have to come back to pick up those?

Whatever you do, try and solve it without violence. Becourse violence against violence will only result in tragic in the end.

It's a sad situation really. I wonder why some people have to be so destructive and bothersome?
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
531 Posts
I am lucky to fly at a small (unfenced) field very close to my house.

Years ago the land owner where I thermal soar told me I couldn't fly there any more. I solved the issue be promising to park my vehicle off of his land.

Unfortunately macho boys with four wheel drive trucks like to destroy his land, especially in the mud after a heavy rain. Dirt bikes do the same, but it is the trucks that do the major damage.

Several times I have gone out with a shovel and I do my best to fill in the major ditches created by the trucks in the mud, but it is hard work resulting in blisters.

I often think that $10 gas would be a good thing to motivate people to find other activities other than destroying land owners' property.

Craig
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:30 AM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post

It's a sad situation really. I wonder why some people have to be so destructive and bothersome?
I think they simply get their kicks from it
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:16 AM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Decided to go for a fly today after lunch and as I turned off the highway into our access track I noticed a couple of people at the shelter.

At first I thought they were club members but then noticed a dirt bike parked inside the shelter.

The only way to get a bike in there is to break down the fence!

The red mist came down and I nailed my XR8 ute up the track in second making it very clear to them that a very unhappy person was on their way.

There is a left turn before the car park, the ute drifted nicely around it and was again floored towards the car park.

By this time the bike inside the shelter was mobile and coming out of the cut in the fence, another bike was parked against the fence waiting for the first bike.

They took off in my direction, as this is the only way to get out and as they went past I hooked left, grabbed the handbrake to bring the rear around and nailed it again after them.

They took the left turn off our access track so I stopped as they were now off the field and I couldn’t see anything for dust. Once the dust cleared I saw a third person sprinting across the field towards the road, again the ute was nailed but he beat me to the road.

Had a good laugh as he crossed the road and proceeded to trip over the railway lines while still sprinting flat out Didn’t seem to hurt him as he picked himself up and kept running.

After I had calmed down a bit the planes came out for a short fly

This is what I found two weeks ago on the Saturday morning when checking the field. Many hours of work later I had the posts concreted back in and a chain fitted to replace the gates.

Someone had tried, unsuccessfully, to ram a car through the gates onto the runways.

Last edited by Peteren; Mar 31, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:49 AM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Ps to the above

We have an Onion weed problem on our field, they are immune to weed killer and can only be controlled by digging them up.

A mattock is the best weapon

This is mine

The spike is hardened carbon steel

I wonder what it would do to aluminium engine casings on dirt bikes ?