SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
41 Posts
Help!
help me pick motor/prop/esc for my quad

hello guys Im making my first quadcopter frame out of 6x6mm square carbon fiber tubing 1.5mm walls and 1.5mm carbon fiber plates. On it there will be my fpv setup which weighs 170g.

I need some help deciding which motor/prop size and which esc's to pick!
I do prioritize long flighttimes but I also want DECENT control/maneuverability

ty for any help i've been looking for hours but its hard to find this stuff
abcd123 is offline Find More Posts by abcd123
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd123 View Post
hello guys Im making my first quadcopter frame out of 6x6mm square carbon fiber tubing 1.5mm walls and 1.5mm carbon fiber plates. On it there will be my fpv setup which weighs 170g.

I need some help deciding which motor/prop size and which esc's to pick!
I do prioritize long flighttimes but I also want DECENT control/maneuverability

ty for any help i've been looking for hours but its hard to find this stuff
I would try eCalc with the different motor prop combinations and AUW and look for something that gives you a liftoff of 50% or less. The lower the better. Also it shows the projected flight times based on the battery you choose.

It's not 100% accurate, not sure anything can be, but it gets you in the ball park. I'd try the RCTimer A2830-14 and APC10X3.8SF props to start, and see what you come up with. The esc needs to be one that can handle the max current, at less than 75% capacity.

Kenny
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,637 Posts
You need some idea of what the total flying weight is going to be. When you say long flight times what do you consider long? Over 20 minutes? When you say good control do you mean slow and deliberate lazy flyng or you want it to be aerobatic also? Most of the time to get very long flight times you almost have a flying battery say at least 3s 5000mA on a 1-1.2kg quad. To fly a battery of that size you are looking at least over 50g motors and 18A esc. With that in mind see if you can add up some weights. For slow lazy flying a 2:1 thrust/weight ratio works well but aerobatic flight 4:1 works so you may need to compromise.

^^I see Kenny just mentioned my favorite combo of 2830/14 and 10" prop^^ . Excellent start.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Decent manoeuvrability and flight time are mutually exclusive so you will have to decide. Flight time comes from big slow, props, on low kv motors, and heavy batteries, manoeuvrability comes from smaller fast props, higher kv motors, minimal batteries.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie