Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:02 PM
William III
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
Discussion
Angry Bill

Hello fellow aviators,

There is a gentleman at our field who loves to fly, but wasn't very good at it. Being the kind of guy I am I approached him and asked how long he had been flying. He said not long and made excuses about his age, eyesight, slowed reflexes and the like. I then asked him if anyone had trained him or if he was trying to learn on his own. He was trying to learn on his own. He had flying experience with full scale but not RC models. I took an immediate liking to this guy, I find it inspiring when I see a guy of his age out trying to do anything. I helped him with repairs and set-up of his airplanes as his eyes can no longer see fine details. After many short flights followed by crashes I could see that he was starting to get frustrated. I told him that he should let me build him an airplane that would not be as much of a handful, but he fussed that he just needed to face the facts that he was getting too old for this and he was going to fly what he had till they would fly no more (too badly crashed to repair) and then he was out.
A few months had passed and he asked me if I was serious about building him a plane he could fly. I reiterated that I would welcome the challenge. He wanted to know how much. I told him to consider it a Christmas present I just wanted to see him fly successfully . I went on to tell him that I didn't think it was so much a problem that he couldn't see as much as he didn't know what the airplane was doing , "You drive a car with your eyesight and you don't get into accidents, right?" I asked. "Yes" he replied. "that's because you know how to drive, It's second nature to you, all you have to do is make sure you stay in your lane and see enough to read traffic. What you need is a plane that is slow enough to give you time to think about what you need to do till you get to where it becomes second nature to you as well." That made sense to him so now I had a challenge, BUILD A PLANE THAT BILL COULD FLY!!!!

I decided that a Glider with a modest motor would be the way to go. I also at that time developed an interest in EPP foam sheets as a building material and researched what others were doing right here on this forum. I found out what glues work best, how to stiffen the material, what paints work best and so on.
The LHS sells 9mm 1.9# density sheets in 24X36 and as it turns out I only needed one sheet for the build.
I finished the airframe in about a weeks time, but I was concerned about the weight being on the heavy side for a span of 48" wing. I put some weight on the nose and gave it a toss to see how it glided free flight. The glide was better than I expected. After I put all of the electronics and battery in I went out to the field to test it again. Much to my amazement it's glide was as gentle as I had hoped it would be. I tested it a LOT more times and was so pleased that I was tempted to keep it for myself. Other guys at the field were impressed as well and I offered to let them fly it. Well now about half of the guys at the field had flown it and Bill as of yet had not because I wasn't yet finished with it. I had to paint it colorfully for him and put the caricature of Bill as an Angry Bird on it. I finally finished it about another week later and Bill finally got a chance to fly it. He was a bit surprised when the guys kept coming up to him and telling him how well his plane flew. It took a few tries and a couple of harsh landings but after getting some tips from the other guys he finally managed to fly and land without incident. Another Happy customer!!!
Specs.

Three channel -- Rudder, Elevator, Throttle
span 48"
length 33"
flying weight app. 12oz.
motor BP A2212-13 on 2 cell lipo
Prop 9X7.5
isoarAV8R is offline Find More Posts by isoarAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:09 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
Another one back up and flying glad he was stubborn enough to let you help him get back in the air, if only remotely
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
USA, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2005
359 Posts
Thats a nice thing that you did. Not everyone would have taken the time.
rcflyer50 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer50
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:37 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
Good on ya buddy. Some of us seniors are becoming a bit challenged as the years go
by. Generally a slowing down of the old body and reaction as well as perhaps a slight
diming of the lights. LOL! But we "ain't ready to throw in the towel" yet and a little helping
hand can go a long way. Thanks for being there for Bill! Warm regards, Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
William III
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
I'm 48 and I too am feeling the ravages of time so I can sympathize brothers. What I like about Bill is that while the body is old the spirit is still forever young and that's the way I hope to be when I reach his age
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:51 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,024 Posts
You sir are a gentleman! What a great story. You will get good karma coming back to you!

Maybe you can post the plan or measurements so maybe we all can experience this wonderful design of yours?
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:02 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,426 Posts
Congrats! Great story and thanks for sharing!

I may get older, but I refuse to grow up!

OH, yeah, nice looking plane too!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, OH, Fairborn
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
great story..good to know theres still good people out there!!
wind1234 is offline Find More Posts by wind1234
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:40 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
You, sir, are an amazing person. There are very few people out there, that I've met, that would do something like that for a person they've just met. Got a video of Bill flying?

P.S. Awesome drawing of that angry bird -- did you draw it?
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
492 Posts
Totally inspirational and a joy to read! Makes this hobby what a hobby is meant to be! Not a satisfied customer but a greatfull friend I am sure. Even made more along the way....shows how a small gesture, even through this hobby, can bring so many others together...flyers or not.
Despite his age and health...I am darn sure you gave him hope and a whole different life ahead!! That is just awesome! I bow to unselfish deeds done to others no matter how!
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:03 AM
William III
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
Yes, I did the artwork on the plane and I've known Mr. Bill for about 1yr. thanks for the kind words. I also did the artwork on my Icon. It's an actual plane that I designed. Oh and as to the video of Bill flying it, I hope to get Bud of Budkeywest to get some footage done soon.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
William III
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
I had to borrow Mr Bill's plane so I could take measurements and draw up a plan as I had none when I made it. I had just made it up as I went along. A few of the guys at the field are interested as well ....so.....soon. Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
71 Posts
Great Job!
tonytiger20 is offline Find More Posts by tonytiger20
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
From that smile that Mr Bill had in the photo I would say he's now Happy Bill.

I have one of those set up's so looking forward to the plans.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign