SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
I got my Garmin etrex off of ebay barely used for 40 bucks..........they are over $150 new.
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
915 Posts
Thanks scorp i will take a look..

On another note..now that things are beginning to line up..i started thinking about recovery options. Actually i called a couple of the local lakes and one of them has a rule that you have to have a recovery "option".. I saw an old thread with you and another guy that had a "wake boat" that was given to him..in the end everyone suggested he turn it into a recovery boat...any thoughts?...got one for sale cheap??
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Just use another cheap boat and attatch the end of a fishing line to it, drive it out to the stalled boat and around it a couple times, then reel 'em both in.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
915 Posts
Scorp..what do you think..$100.00...with everything..

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ary-1011.html#
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Those are cool boats............too nice for a retrieval boat only, but you can run it too!!!

Check out the vid of it stock:

Joysway Warrior Offshore Lite RTR RC Boat (1 min 3 sec)

And juiced up with brushless on 3s!

Joysway Offshore Warrior RC Powerboat - VERY FAST! (1 min 57 sec)
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
915 Posts
Like you said..maybe too nice...especially on 3s.!! Do you have another option?? I was looking at a tug but for a decent one your looking at at least $250.00..even in the classifieds.. Some of the other stuff looks too small and sinkable...

I see the gps units on ebay but for a novice online purchaser like me ...anyway..might have to get you to bid it out ......then buy it from you!!..lol..
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
I'd get the little Joysway if i were you...................fun little guy to carry in the car and when you spot a small pond around town just throw it in!! Of course it can be your rescue boat TOO!!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
915 Posts
sounds good...check this out...trying not to get sidetracked...$112...

http://www.handcraftedmodelships.com...ol-tugboat.php

normal:
BSP (0 min 40 sec)

modified:
RC Sea Port Harbor Tug conversion Bay Area Electric Boaters (2 min 50 sec)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:34 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Neat tugs.

The second vid absolutely makes me cringe though..................I will never understand someone joining the biggest "video" dedicated website ever, and posting a video of freakin' pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? What are folks thinking???? If i want to look at pictures I'll look in a book or search for images of a tug!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
915 Posts
after i thought about it for a minute..your right...!! thats funny.

.they have it on ebay as a new item from a toprated seller for $59.00...it seems like it would be ok to pull something back..since i got the new controller it came with an rx...a cheapy motor addon ...im going for it..worse case is one of my kids can come along to play...
Last edited by stiks; Feb 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:02 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,122 Posts
Hi Stiks,

The Dickie Harbor tug (or Heng Long spin off) is very suitable as a recovery boat, but the runtime on the stock battery isn't very long.

I own one and modified the electronic from bang-bang steering and on-off switching to standard RC stuff, having proportional control is much more convenient when trying to recover a stalled boat.

Mine has remained rather stock, but here is a complete section of the forum, dedicated to this tug:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...hp?board=125.0

Biggest advantage, next to the proportional control is the runtime; with the stock battery it's about 20 minutes, with the 8000mAh Lipo I use, the runtime is up to four hours full throttle...

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
915 Posts
this could end up being a whole other thread....the more i look the better they look!!

Back to business...the boat was shipped yesterday from Nitrorcx...should be at home by end of day....

Scorp...found that gps unit for $47.00...do i take the leap? I know how gps works but how do you apply it to the boat? You physically put it in the boat, correct? Do you set it to start at a specific time? Briefly...if possible..how do you use it to capture speed....also is that all you capture?

thanks
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Another option which may be more than what you're looking to spend is an eagle tree system. They have a GPS addon and it will also allow you to see what amps you are pulling.

As for rescue tugs, look here. They come with everything except radio and esc. I have one and made a PVC catch for the front. I also made one of these that's pretty cool out of spare parts I had, may end up being my primary rescue rig.
oscarel is offline Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
You just turn the GPS on, reset max speed and wedge it in the boat somewhere.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Well......................132 replies and 1580 views without one hole being drilled in the hull...............or the actual hull even being in your posession..................must be some kind of a record!!!

I forget who it was who asked if you were ever gonna post pics and i told him its one of those new "faux" builds.........................LOL................ ......kinda goin that way!!!!!!