HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
update

Ran this weekend; sunday the 4th out at Prado Lake in Chino, CA. The weather was pretty good..the Santa Ana winds are starting to pickup so it was about 80 degrees out...

Met up with the same group of fast boaters that i met up with out at Lake Evans..before they implemented the 15mph speed limit. Anyway, even though Prado cost $10.00 to enter..there is no limit to speed, size or type of boat...

I ran with GPS this time and got 54mph with that x457 octura prop on 9s2p. My temps ran for the esc=130 degrees, motor=128 degrees, batteries=80-90 degrees.

I still am not seeing any water flow out the sides during my runs but the consensus is that with those temps there must be something getting through. I am consider boring out the pickup holes on the rudder blade or even going back to the single pickup blade ..with a second pickup mounted on the transom..(like the original setup).. I aslso made some changes to my rudder servo setup so i am now getting better turns out of it as well..

Anyway here are a couple of vids. One is a walk by on the boats that came out on sunday, the other is of a nice flip..and lastly is mine. Please forgive the quality of my run..i had to hand the camera over to someone and he was doing alot of zooming and stuff so its kinda bad actually.

Also, the area we run is at the "bottom" of the lake so we can only run up the lake then back towards us...running side to side is kinda tuff because there isnt that much room. Pretty soon they parks people are going to cut away the weeds over to the left...once thats done then we can run the boats right out in front of us..left to right...then i can get in some nice big ovals.

Having problems with youtube..will post pics/vids shortly..

here are the vids:

me:
me (4 min 8 sec)

everyone:
everyones boats (1 min 13 sec)

don 1 of 2...checkout 1:12..:
don (1 min 28 sec)

don 2 of 2:
don after crash (0 min 13 sec)

dan problems...looks like a timing issue??:
dan problems (2 min 18 sec)
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Last edited by stiks; Nov 05, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:49 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,183 Posts
The lake looks a little on the tight side for bigger boats. I thought on a couple of occasions your's was going to be in the cat tails.

The last clip looked / sounded more like a loose connection between the esc and motor or possibly a rx issue.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Bill, yep..it was pretty close for me too...!! I was a little hesitant on posting that video of my run..i was sort of doing ovals and straights and everything....sort of all over the place. But as i mentioned hopefully they will cut back those weeds then we can do pure ovals...that would be great!!

So i am going to change out that rudder for next weekend and go back to my transom pickup and see if that makes a difference.

Right now my strut is at its lowest point with the x457....should i raise it up a bit? Will that give me more speed?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Going out tomorrow...sunday. Raised the strut a bit to see if i can pick up a little more speed. Also, swapped out the 2 pickup rudder with the original single pickup and added the original pickup on the transom. I will post some pics from the lake.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Sunday the 11th run

Here are some pictures from this past Sunday the 11th. Several of the guys came out, pretty much the regulars. It was a little cold out probably around 55 degrees or so and about a 20 to 25 mph wind coming out of the east..

The bigger boats had no issues withe wave caps headed out into the lake as long as you kept the speed down and you could blast back into the shore with wind at your back for some outrageous speeds!!

Everyone had really nice runs..there where a couple of nice flips due to some wave jumping .. But no real damage. I hit something on the lake during my run and it sheared the rudder bolt on my hydro...luckily that was the only damage. Will post the vids shortly...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,183 Posts
Hmmm your idea of shortly must be diffeent from mime
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Sorry about the delay on video.. Loaded the pictures at work..but no access to youtube...now im home and my memory stick is hosed....
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Here is the link to all our video from this past sunday...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=17

here is me:

me
me (0 min 45 sec)

tug
tug (0 min 51 sec)

the tug is a conversion to a brushless inrunner. 35 amp seaking, with 6v mini pump for cooling..
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:11 AM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Have you solved the cooling issues, Stiks??

I would suggest you to install a small 12v car water pump ( those for the windshield spray). they're small light and inexpensive.
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Went out last weekend and no one showed up...so didnt get to run..no recovery boat. Plan on running this sunday..will post update then.

stiks
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,183 Posts
Crying wolf again I see. One of these days we're going to stop coming back to look..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
New pics november 25th 2012 Prado

Ok Ok....sheesh.... Sorry it took awhile..been busy at work. Hospitals always try to squeeze in all there projects by the end of the year...$$$$ use it or lose it

Anyway, here are the latest pics and video. This is turning out to be a regular thing for me...i think maybe its the lower quality parts showing their true colors or what...but had another day ending break at the lake this weekend.

As you can see my rudder is ..just hanging there. The little piece of brass tubing or rod that holds the rudder to the assembly came out and once it did the rudder just worked itself free.. Talking to the older boaters the first thing they asked was did you have the grub screw in there... Well to be honest ...no i didnt.. But in my defense there was no grub screw that large in the original shipping.

Everything that i ordered for this boat including paperwork is all in one spot in the hobby hut...(garage) I double..no tripple checked and there is no grub screw "leftovers".. I had noticed that the little rod did move up and down a bit when tinkering with the rudder hardware before..but never noticed that grub screw hole until the rudder was actually out of the assembly.

Well needless to say i guess i dodged a bullet on that by not having everything broken or bent all to h....ll!! ...

Anyway, my buddy bob has a bunch of bolts and stuff so i trekked on over and found this "bolt"..it fits just right into that "holder" for the rudder. After a bit of cutting and filing; thanks bobby!!! I was able to use it ...WITH A GRUB screw..to hold it in place So i should be able to go out this next weekend.!!!

I managed to dig up some batteries from friends that no longer use them and made a few connectors to accommodate my setup...so i had planned on running a couple of times, but since this happened on my first run i was done for the day..needless to say..no gps this time Next time though!!

Will have to do the video later...work is blocking youtube...
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Getting ready for tomorrow. Its been raining here the last few days and its supposed to start again ...but not until late Sunday...so we'll see.

I tried to connect up some additional batteries that i have..must have connected something wrong. Got a pretty big arc out of 2 6cells...it melted the connector and some of the wiring..also..3 of my fingers are black..... There was no pain or anything but you can see where the skin melted a bit...on my thumb and index finger.. It looked and sounded like the batteries where going to blow up...but i managed to disconnect them. The battery connector must have touched at some point. I can still pick my nose with the best of them..lol..
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
No running this past weekend..dec 2nd. I got the call from my buddy Dan and he said it was raining down in that area...as it pretty much did all over.. So nobody went out...

Getting batteries together for next weekend..weather report says its supposed to clear up...we'll see...!!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
813 Posts
Thinking about getting one of these....when everyone is done with their big boats they all have smaller ones to run...they vary in size in type..but this one is pretty cool...!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_n_Drive.html