HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
This weekend was bad..bad timing with a little bad planning thrown in. I think i lost half my support group..the guys that wanted to see the maiden.

The lake i went to is called Bonnelli Park, it is right next to ...i mean litteraly the same main entrance as Raging Waters in san dimas..yep.."bill and teds excellent adventure" raging waters. On top of being the last weekend of the summer, being one of the hottest weekends and the l.a. county fair going on... within like a 5 mile area ..it was just way too crowded.

I got to the lake and at the front entrance asked about the location for rc boating...after a few minutes they ended up sending me to the other side of the lake . I got to this other entrance and the guy there didnt even know they did rc boating at the lake ...according to him they stopped about 2 years ago...lol

Anyway, i ended up back at the main office for the park. There i was given directions on the actual location for rc boating..of course it was were i started at..40 minutes ago. By then the 4 people that had planned to meet me...either left or didnt pick up the phone...this was like 1 hour after our original meet time....

Well needless to say..frustrated, broke...hot and alone...i decided to call it a day... Down but not out....this weekend..sunday..i am going here..take a look

http://www.inlandnauticalsociety.com/gallery9.htm

this place i think is alot better suited to rc'ing ....Bonnelli was just too many people and too many regular watercraft...
stiks is online now Find More Posts by stiks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Well guys....I finally did it....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=22526
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Maiden run

I posted the pics i did on this other group. But here are the videos....does anyone know of a way to copy an a entire thread over to another post...i wanted to put the whole thing here and not just a link to it on another post...without having to re-type..

Stiks "Coke Boat" 50inch hydro conversion-Maiden run1 (0 min 55 sec)

Ahhhhh!!!...thats me at the end....
Last edited by stiks; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
another ....one of the guys from the lake..

rcboat3 (0 min 30 sec)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
one more...

rc boat4 (0 min 20 sec)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,165 Posts
Got her wet!! I only saw the first vid before i went to work and the short sprint looked set up well, i will check out other vids tonite.
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,360 Posts
In the words of one of my other clubmates.... "come on and pull the trigger on that thing."
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Guys, thanks..its been so long since posting here...lol

Bill, the other videos...from my buddies camera should have a couple of WOT runs in it. I got a pretty comfortable with it near the end. I need some more batteries though..next on the list.

I needed to redo my servo linkage setup because i wasnt getting a really good turning radius on them. Also, on my first run out....i had the steering reversed. Everyone was like TURN!!!!...and im yelling back "im turning im turning"....lol....but we worked it out.

One of the guys there knows both of you... bill and scorp....i'll have to get his name next weekend.

I should have the vids tonight..stopping by my buddies house on the way home.. On another note though, i do have some power questions. The guys at this lake said i should be able to run with 2 6cells..dont really need 9s2p. Also, one of the "vets" said i needed a larger prop..like a 457. When i ran it in the video i have currently posted..there was a little "worbble" kind of sound....the "vet" Don..said it was the prop going in and out of the water...said a bigger prop would do it and i would get more speed....???
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:08 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,165 Posts
You can always use a bigger prop to get more bite/speed, but you may need to go down on cells. It just depends on what that motor can spin prop-wise. What prop were you using...........and 9s2p right? I wouldnt give alot of credit to what a bunch of Gassers are telling you....................like running 6s2p??
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:41 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,290 Posts
6S on that? and what an 80mm prop?
I think you should stick to 9S for now and see what you can get out of it, then if you want you can step up to more RPM.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
More maiden run

Here is some more video. One of them is my "getting stuck" run..thats when the motor/collet is just spinning on the shaft.

The other run starts off slow but at about 2:00 minutes i start to dig in....

Understood about the batteries...and you guys are right. I am sticking with the 9s 2p..

I will have to look at the existing prop..forgot what i am running...

The narrator is my buddy John....

check it out at 2:00 minutes:
Stiks maiden run "good run"_50 inch hydro electric conversion rc boat (4 min 6 sec)

here is where i got stuck:

Stiks maiden run "Getting Stuck"_50 inch hydro electric conversion rc boat (1 min 16 sec)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,165 Posts
My Lord......................talk about back seat drivers, I would have slapped 'em in the mouth after 2 solid minutes of that................

Did you give the controls to someone else at 2:00 or did you finally decide to pull the throttle for more than 3 seconds at a time...............

Make long ovals next time to really get her going..............looks good though, needs a hair of trimming out due to the minor hop.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,290 Posts
I know, I was going to comment on that. Ya know it's not too hard to figure out that you have to turn the boat
I always make a point to stop my boat and answer someone, I can't talk and drive, it requires too much concentration.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Thats just John being John....he is like that at the airfield and i have been flying with him for years.

Scorp when you said hair of trimming i thought you where talking about me...i need a haircut!!...lol

So on the trimming ..how do you mean..on the rudder i assume?

By the way..that was me all the way through..i was just getting my bearings in the begining trying to figure out how long to stop ...what speeds i could make turns at...remember..this was my first boat run....Ever!!...

Question:
what do you guys use to clean up the hull and clear out the water tubes after running for the day?...do you wax it ..to keep the water "marks" off?

Also, do you guys have any pics of what you use to carry your stuff to the lake? I had to use the carrier i use for the truck bed ..it worked but its really long at the base. I almost tripped over it and onto the boat a couple of times...

Let me know..
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
^^ By trimming he means the strut angle and depth... If it's hopping try a bit less angle or a bit less depth.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons