HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
When they came out I thought they'd be a hit and sell, i bought two the first day they hit. Just sold one on OSE and I am needing your kv...............and you're needing mine LOL. No runtime since its never been mounted or hooked up. All i have done is add nice bullets to it and slide the Leopard 56mm waterjacket on it to see how it fits, which it fits just fine. So..................we have two new motors, lemme know
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Can hardly type through my big smile....oops..actually not really sure if i need that...but for the heck of it maybe i'll take if off your hands....how about...how would that work..paypal or something..can i see it..i will pm you this weekend.
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
I'd be interested in just selling it to ya as well if thats what you'd rather do. I'll take 80 bucks plus shipping, same as I sold the one for on OSE. That covers my original shipping cost. Lemme know
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Thanks scorp..i will ...this weekend for sure.. Going to go work on my other hobby..rc planes..gotta replace some landing gear for sunday flying..
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:50 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
OK..................keep in mind that I have no ulterior motive for selling you this motor.............i'm not starving or anything, its just that i wont end up using it, and you really need a lower kv than 1000............trust me on this. That big boat will blow ESC's left and right with that 1000kv motor. I didnt know you were wanting to get the 780kv motor or i would have offered it to ya a while back.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Scorp sounds good. We can maybe do the trade...i have a big plane i was thinking about as an alternative for that motor..but i think the kv is too high for it..
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:12 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiks View Post
I'm found a cooling tube at OSE its the leopard 5650 ...the specs on the motor say its 56mm in diameter.. and this tube is for that size:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...eo-5650-jacket

Anything else i should be looking at on OSE??
Hoping you haven't bought the jacket yet. It's a little on the short side for your motor. I'd suggest going with the longer HRC jacket also available from OSE. The Leopards tend to run on the warm side and you want as much cooling as you can get.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...am-leopard-56L
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
38 Posts
Will he not need a turn fin as well? Also for a radio look here as well. Lots of cool things and fixes can be added.
oscarel is online now Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Bill, i have not picked up the tube yet..i checked out that one on OSE..looks pretty good. I need to compile a list of things i need/should get from OSE..i dont want to do bits and pieces from them..besides the tube..what else would i need.. Of course the turn fin (Oscarel)..is there a special size? Let me know and i will order today..

Oscarel, i saw that controller at toysonics.com..it looks good..has anyone else tried it? The rx that comes with it..is it for marine use..it seems like all the rx's that come with tx's are for surface use..meaning cars. Shouldnt i get a rx that is specifically used for marine? Which means i will have to get the tx separate.

Is there a good tx/rx combo under $120 for "us" boat types
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
Bill, i have not picked up the tube yet..i checked out that one on OSE..looks pretty good. I need to compile a list of things i need/should get from OSE..i dont want to do bits and pieces from them..besides the tube..what else would i need.. Of course the turn fin (Oscarel)..is there a special size? Let me know and i will order today..

Oscarel, i saw that controller at toysonics.com..it looks good..has anyone else tried it? The rx that comes with it..is it for marine use..it seems like all the rx's that come with tx's are for surface use..meaning cars. Shouldnt i get a rx that is specifically used for marine? Which means i will have to get the tx separate.

Is there a good tx/rx combo under $120 for "us" boat types
I'm not sure of the size turn fin for a boat that big. I would get ahold of Dick Tyndall on intlwaters forum http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showuser=1623.

As for the radio, I do own a 2ch and 3ch from Flysky and have not had any issues. There's a couple of long debates over them on jrcbd. I've been using them over the Futaba I have just because of the cost of receivers, so far only 1 receiver lost. I even had one under water for a little over 2hrs and it was still working when the boat was retrieved. If you don't need all the bells and whistles the 2ch with a receiver is $20.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Last edited by stiks; Feb 11, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: wrong post
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
The rx that comes with it..is it for marine use..it seems like all the rx's that come with tx's are for surface use..meaning cars. Shouldnt i get a rx that is specifically used for marine? Which means i will have to get the tx separate.
Most people put the receiver and servos in a watertight box, or with some sort of sub hatch. I've actually gone the route of waterproof esc, waterproof servo and small waterproof box for receiver. Again, just possiblilities. I have these currently in 2 gas boats of 41" and 43" and a 36" whiplash and so far so good. You're going to need a pretty stout ESC which means money and you want to make sure you keep it protected. And also another good thing to have is corrosionx which I found locally at Academy Sports or you can get it at OSE http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hp?prod=corr-x.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Scorp may have some info on that turn fin..this boat is pretty much the same as his big red. I will go back to his build thread and look or he may chime in here..on that turn fin.

Well...on that tx/rx..will that rx work for marine? If so then i will get it from toysonics.com on Tuesday..(i can pickup from him..right next to my job)

Sorry to drag on about the radio..its just that i am used to purchasing other types/sizes of spectrum rx's and then being able to bind them as need to my controller. With these surface units ..it seems like once you buy the tx/rx you are stuck with that "package". The last thing i want is to have to go swimming to get my boat because some low costing unit is interrupted by some kids ipod (as my daughter plugs hers into the computer....arrrgh itunes!!)
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
Scorp may have some info on that turn fin..this boat is pretty much the same as his big red. I will go back to his build thread and look or he may chime in here..on that turn fin.

Well...on that tx/rx..will that rx work for marine? If so then i will get it from toysonics.com on Tuesday..(i can pickup from him..right next to my job)

Sorry to drag on about the radio..its just that i am used to purchasing other types/sizes of spectrum rx's and then being able to bind them as need to my controller. With these surface units ..it seems like once you buy the tx/rx you are stuck with that "package". The last thing i want is to have to go swimming to get my boat because some low costing unit is interrupted by some kids ipod (as my daughter plugs hers into the computer....arrrgh itunes!!)
Understood. Spektrum is the only one I know that claims to be water resistant. Most 2.4 systems are not interchangeable. Go with what you're comfortable with.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Oscarel, just so im clear.. The surface units are cross compatiable? Meaning they can be used for car or boat? I have been under the impression that i need a rx that was strictly for marine. That is why i have payed so much attention to spectrum. I am still leaning towards them but after making my other purchases..if i get down to it..i may still go with GT38...Thanks