HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:49 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,167 Posts
I'm getting confused as to exactly whay you are trying to do..................its been a while, but i think i just bought this and put it on.....................is it in my thread....?......i'm asking cuz you have looked it over quite a bit lately

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...os-large-strut
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
strut and flex drive issue

Ok..after walking away for awhile and taking a few minutes to look at things..

I didnt realize the drive tube disconnects from the strut so easily..i thought they might be glued or something..so after separating the drive tube from the strut i was able to get the bearing out..

Now that the bearing is out my new flex drive passes freely through the strut. I then took the original outer bearing (from the earlier pic) and used it at the end of the strut..were the plastic washer and my new dog nut go....

Normally the flex shaft would go into the strut.. and thru one bearing inside...or that bronze tube (from OSE) ..then out of another bearing at the end of the strut then plastic washer...dognut, prop and nut.... But this is what i have now.. the shaft going thru the strut..then out the 1 bearing at the end of the strut..then plastic washer, dognut, prop and nut.... This looks like it will work..but is this "outer" bearing enough to support the flex shaft inside the strut..or will cavitation or rather vibration cause the flex shaft to move up and down inside the strut...

If this is too confusing i can take apart the strut and do some pics..
stiks is online now Find More Posts by stiks
Last edited by stiks; Mar 04, 2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
reply to scorps "confusion"..lol

I'm getting confused as to exactly whay you are trying to do..................its been a while, but i think i just bought this and put it on.....................is it in my thread....?......i'm asking cuz you have looked it over quite a bit lately

scorp..if my long post#182 with pics doesnt look like it will work then i will go the route you suggested...
Last edited by stiks; Mar 04, 2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: formating
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
Scorp..because i cant leave this alone...if i go with your idea and get the large strut..

with:
.250(1/4") Strut requires K&S# 134 5/16" brass stuffing tube

because my flex cable is a .250(1/4") ....correct?
Last edited by stiks; Mar 04, 2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: info update
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:35 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,167 Posts
Lemme go out to the garage and look at my setup a bit later today................i had to move my big boats out there due to a slumber party full of 10 year olds a while back, and havent ran it since.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
Scorp..thanks...i will keep an eye out for your reply...
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
I broke down...just ordered the large strut with brass insert...post #184...
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
Final Part??

I received the new strut today from OSE..it was the large Speedmaster strut .250 round bottom for hydro. It also came with the brass tube insert.

In the picture you can see the new strut and insert.

Questions:
- does the insert go into the new strut as seen in pic 1 or pic 2?
- is the insert supposed to sit flush, when pushed into the strut?

I took another picture of my new flex shaft going into the new brass insert..as you can see (as an example) the shaft goes right through the brass insert.

Questions:
- is the brass insert just meant to keep the flex shaft from moving around inside the strut?

If the insert is meant to keep the drive "still" inside the strut...then i can just use the brass insert in the existing strut already on the boat correct?

If that is correct.......anybody wanna buy a speedmaster large strut???..lol..

I put the new brass insert inside of my existing strut..and it sits in there like the old bearing did...then i use that "end cap" bearing ....and it looks and feels gooood...so it seems like i can use just the insert!...didnt somebody say that awhile back....lol
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:43 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,363 Posts
If you really check it over you'll find the brass bushing is a very sloppy fit inside the strut. That's because it's designed to have a piece of 5/16" brass tubing ran all the way through it and then the bushing will be a good "precise" fit in the brass tube.
Sadly, I have yet to get a strut that would actually let a piece off 5/16 brass slip all the way through it without it binding and getting stuck so that you couldn't get it back out short of drilling it out.
Somebody probably has a better way, and if they do, they can enlighten both of us here. I hone the bore of the strut to a fit loose enough to slide the tube through. A piece of 3/16" tube with some 220 grit paper around it chucked in a drill works pretty good for me.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
Here is another couple of pictures. This is the new brass insert inside my existing strut..that came with the boat.

As you can see the insert goes into the strut and sticks out the back a bit...but on the inside of the strut..it acts like a bearing..keeping the flex shaft from moving..then with the end cap bearing...its like it was out of the box..except with that brass insert..going a little bit into the tubing...

is that ok...???
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
Quote:
If you really check it over you'll find the brass bushing is a very sloppy fit inside the strut. That's because it's designed to have a piece of 5/16" brass tubing ran all the way through it and then the bushing will be a good "precise" fit in the brass tube.
Sadly, I have yet to get a strut that would actually let a piece off 5/16 brass slip all the way through it without it binding and getting stuck so that you couldn't get it back out short of drilling it out.
Somebody probably has a better way, and if they do, they can enlighten both of us here. I hone the bore of the strut to a fit loose enough to slide the tube through. A piece of 3/16" tube with some 220 grit paper around it chucked in a drill works pretty good for me.
So bill looking back at your post..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1478759&page=3

i need to take a brass 3/16 tube then stick it in the strut..(which one ..new or old) ...then stick the new brass insert into the 3/16 brass tube...

so from the inside out...it will be flex shaft, inside brass insert, inside brass tube, inside strut??
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
Bill...sorry...i said 3/16 tube...you were just using that to ream out the strut....so it should be a 5/16 stuffing tube correct?
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
By jove..i think i got it...so i will pick up the both a 3/16 for coring..and a 5/16 brass tube for stuffing on the new strut....

If i want to use the existing strut then i need to get a bigger brass stuffing tube..the existing strut is 0.39 inches so i would need a bigger stuffing tube to fill up the space right?? Make since?? tell me thats right ..its the only thing that makes since....do they have a 4/9 stuffing tube??
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:25 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,167 Posts
Wait til you get your new strut then insert what you have, the bushing goes into the strut like you have it in the second pic of post #188. If its sloppy then you need brass tube as Bill pointed out. When i did mine there was alot of trial and error...........
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
826 Posts
Scorp, i think i understand now...also that pic above is the new strut...

As i think i understand it...i need the tube to cleanup the slop in the strut...the more slop the bigger the stuffing tube..correct?

A buddy of mine from the airfield is a retired industrial mechanic and has his garage decked out.. i will go by tomorrow after work with the parts and we will do a bit of coring on that new strut as bill suggested...just enough to get the stuffing tube in.

Once we are done i will post updated pics.