SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,163 Posts
Do yourself a favor and err on the side of it being too far forward...............you can always move batts backwards if needed. I have all my batts in the cockpit which is fine, its just that i'm lucky i didnt have to position some in the sponsons.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
820 Posts
Scorp..sorry for being dense..do you mean move it closer to the front or back of the boat?

Also, recieved update from OSE...the "nipples" are not included with the new dual pickup rudder....my nipple search continues...lol...any ideas?
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:09 AM
Another Dumb Canadian
Joined Feb 2012
197 Posts
Just chiming in..........nice project
Punisher_67 is offline Find More Posts by Punisher_67
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:29 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiks View Post
Scorp..sorry for being dense..do you mean move it closer to the front or back of the boat?

Also, recieved update from OSE...the "nipples" are not included with the new dual pickup rudder....my nipple search continues...lol...any ideas?
Go back one page to post 143 by oscarel. Theres an embedded link to where you can buy them.

PS Hi Pete
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,163 Posts
Forward..................towards the front!! Just make sure to figure out how the flex will fit/reach the motor position. You will also need to make sure that you dont have too much flex exposed before the coupler.

Look at a few pics of my innards and just make sure its at least there or a bit more forward. Even if you mount it in the same place it should be OK since it weighs a bit less than my 2028.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2012
820 Posts
Scorp..thanks..starting the tear down tonight..will post pics..

Bill thanks for the pointer back to that other post...i had tried it from home or somewhere and it didnt work..so i passed it by..its working today...

Oscarel...is that the size you think for that dual pickup rudder blade?? Can i get these from a hardware store....i dont need anything else and to put $2.00 on the card ...the shipping is going to be more then the part!!..lol
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,358 Posts
Quote:
Oscarel...is that the size you think for that dual pickup rudder blade?? Can i get these from a hardware store....i dont need anything else and to put $2.00 on the card ...the shipping is going to be more then the part!!..lol
It shows them as 10-32 thread. If in doubt try screwing the stub shaft (prop shaft) into the rudder. On a 3/16" shaft it's a 10-32 thread as well
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2012
820 Posts
Bill ...got it...had to read it a few times but it make sense...

Punisher...thanks for the "ping"...gotta keep things moving in the boat world..these guys are riding me like "two mules for sister sarah"...about the length of this post..!!..lol
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Quote:
Can i get these from a hardware store....i dont need anything else and to put $2.00 on the card ...the shipping is going to be more then the part!!..lol
You can try. You also may want to try Speedmaster directly at rossisales.com and see if they might be able to mail you some a little cheaper.
oscarel is online now Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
820 Posts
Found those brass barbed fittings at the local hobby store...they had them in the plane section..1.99 each..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
820 Posts
I took pics of the tear down from last night but had to do it with a different camera..which i dont have an adapter for...i should be able to find some way of uploading in a few minutes..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Here are some pictures of the shaft, boat and new dual pickup rudder. The rudder didnt come with the little "hose connections" on it..any idea were i can get those from??

-the new flex drive looks the same size as the existing..
-the new shaft slides pretty much through the hex connector..once i connect it to the motor shaft on one end and then the flex shaft...will it lock in place?
-new dual pickup rudder didnt come with the water "connectors"...
Cool boat man!!!
hotlinercort is offline Find More Posts by hotlinercort
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
820 Posts
Tear down

Here are the pics from the tear down. I tried to get a good shot of the dog nut ...but believe it or not..i am stuck!!

I have never had good luck with grub screws..maybe its my old a@@ tools but i cannot not for the life of me get that screw out so i can take out the shaft. I am going to take it over to a friends house later..he has the good stuff for this sort of thing.. I almost got to the point of stripping it before i stopped. I also thought about cutting it...anyway..

I think some of the wood will have to come out were the batteries will go. Also, trying to think of a way to keep the exhaust cover...it looks pretty cool..
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:44 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,163 Posts
Check the photos of how i did my gas tank area, batts fit perfect, may give you an idea or two.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
820 Posts
Scorp..thanks i will go back and check..in case i cant really see it ...do you just have the batteries up front or do you have something like foam up there?

Also, i bought some more allen keys to get that grub screw out and none of them have the "bite" to get it .. Should i drill it since i wont really be using this shaft or dog nut?