HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
update on build..

Sorry...i know all talk no action. I may have to go "dark" for a bit.. got the new boat today.. Opened the "boxes"...and there was the boat.. No packing, muffler not screwed down and moving freely inside the hull. There is a freakin hole that has been drilled in the exhaust cover!!! WHAT UP WITH THAT!!!

I have once again emailed everyone under the sun over at nitrorsuckx.com...!!!

I have talked to other people about them and they said they have been able to walk in..in the past..i sent a NICE letter to them tellin....asking them if it would be "ok" to come in and exchange the boat in person..not sure will that will go??...

Anyway i will post tomorrow with an update. Once the motor comes later this week..i am still waiting on the mount from that site Bill sent me..it should be here sometime next week..around the 1st...
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
Spoke with nitrorcx...(removing the suks part for now)...they are sending me a new shipping label....3rd times the charm??!!

I am going dark on this string until the new boat arrives..when i come back...ITS ON!!! for all you doubters!!!! ..yes i know i spelled that wrong!! ..lol
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
i just typed a small book and accidentally erased it..

Once again..this time the short version..the new boat is in..Nitro let me come down and pick it up...everyone is like 23 years old or younger there...you would think it would be like "toy city" there but it more warehouse then anything...

Anyway boat fully checked out ..not a scratch...

Scorp, i compared the flex drive i bought from OSE against the shaft that is already in the boat...and they totally look the same size...the hex drive connector that goes from the motor shaft to the flex shaft...seems almost too big for the flex shaft side..the shaft sort of slips in and out..or when i tighten down completely will it lock in?... I will post pics later tonight...hope i didn't buy the wrong size flex drive or hex nut...
Last edited by stiks; Feb 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
new pics

Here are some pictures of the shaft, boat and new dual pickup rudder. The rudder didnt come with the little "hose connections" on it..any idea were i can get those from??

-the new flex drive looks the same size as the existing..
-the new shaft slides pretty much through the hex connector..once i connect it to the motor shaft on one end and then the flex shaft...will it lock in place?
-new dual pickup rudder didnt come with the water "connectors"...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:43 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,333 Posts
If your prop fits on and the flex will tighten in the coupler maybe you can use that drive setup???????????? Mine was 6mm i believe and had to replace it all. Email OSE, you should have gotten the brass nozzles with the rudder i would imagine.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
Scorp, i will measure it and post later.. thanks for the tip with the nozzles..its tough doing a search on the internet of "little brass water tube things"...

There are some differences in these boats..on the original the fins were screwed on..on this "version" they are part of the boat....glassed on..curious...

But otherwise ..the way the flex shaft goes through that connector...i know its not tight but it seems like it would be tighter then that..i will lock it in on the work bench and see...
Last edited by stiks; Feb 26, 2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiks View Post
Scorp, i will measure it and post later.. thanks for the tip with the nozzles..its tough doing a search on the internet of "little brass water tube things"...
The proper name for them is nipples. Try a search on that and see what it turns up
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
This should be what you're looking for if you have the Speedmaster dual pickup rudder brass barbed fittings.
oscarel is offline Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
If the collet is for 1/4" then it will tighten down. A suggestion would be a one of these which you can get from a local hobby shop to save the shaft in case the collet doesn't tighten down, you don't want to lose that pretty prop and shaft. You can also use a small piece of tubing if you can find one that fits.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
Ok..measured the existing flex shaft and the new one from OSE...here is what i found:

new shaft:
0.24inchs/6.1mm at the end of the shaft..were it would connect to the motor
0.18inchs/4.7mm at the threaded end of the shaft..were the prop would go

existing..already in the boat:
0.26inchs/6.6mm at the end of the shaft ..were it would connect to the motor
0.18 inchs/4.8mm at the the threaded end of the shaft..were the prop would go

I have never been good with measuring..but these ..give or take a bit are pretty much the same flex drive, correct?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,333 Posts
I dont think the prop will fit.............and the motor end of the flex is .5mm thicker..........thats quite a bit.

You could try to trim it down some, and then the shaft end as well. I have made things thinner by turning them on a belt sander.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
Scorp..do you mean on the existing shaft??

So do i just remove it and use the brand new shaft from OSE?

also just to let you know..when i measured the existing shaft..already in the boat. I measured it at the round base... The end that connects to the motor was ground down on 4 sides..into a squaure shape..so its measurement is a little different then at the base..were i used the caliper..
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Probably not a good idea, a square shaft in round collet probably won't stay tight. Also, will the existing shaft be long enough to reach the new motor?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
Oscarel..you are correct...in both cases..i dont have the motor mount yet..so placement of the motor is yet to be determined. So it sounds like i am going to use the new round shaft from OSE...thanks

By the way..i connected the motor hex connector and OSE shaft last night and tightened them down...it locked in place with no movement at all....!!
Last edited by stiks; Feb 27, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
902 Posts
Scorp, currently waiting for the motor mount...but in the meantime..what do you think about placement. I went back to your old post and it looks like you placed the motor in the same spot as the retaining bolts for the gas motor, is that correct?

With planes there is a cg (center of gravity) you always need to be concerned with..is it the same or some variation on boats?

Thanks..