HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Hmmm... Today I glassed the forward center section of the wing on the pylon plane I'm building. I didn't trust the foam/epoxy/wood/steel sandwich and I hate feeling shy on the elevator stick with planes like this. I want to be able to crank it around as hard as the airfoil will let me without worrying about the wing ripping off.

It's insanely tough now

I also replaced the shaft in a little 24mm 3790Kv HobbyKing inrunner. Great motor for a plane like this on a 4.1x4.1 prop. I might end up using it instead of the 4.5 ounce monster that's in it now; the little purple motor is almost 1.5oz lighter I flew a different pylon plane with it once and it was fast as a mofo until the wing snapped...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,371 Posts
Completed the Phase 3 EF-16. She's all set up, balanced and ready to rip. Now for time to maiden her...I can only hope it'll be soon.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
I just ordered me one of those adhesive-backed light strips from Value Hobby, as well as a wattmeter. I figured it was time

I'm sort of ridiculously excited about the light strip. Just one of them isn't really enough for a true night flyer, but if it's good I might pick up a few more. Even with just a little illumination I've found that can fly much later into the evening, so it should open up more flying opportunities during these winter weekdays that are short on daylight.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
I did maiden the MX2 last Friday and found a dropping wing. Landed safely, played with it a bit, flew out the rest of the battery. Still dropping a wing. Came home, asked a lot of questions and found that the DX8 has adjustable trim "rates" in a sub menu. Don't think the 6i had that! Factory default setting is 5 out of 10 and each click barely moved a surface. Set it to 8 out of the 10 and each click moves the surfaces about like the 6i did. Also found one aileron not quite flush. Fixed it. Going out today! So today I did the fixing and today I will fly it again. So I hope what I do is successfully fly it!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:39 AM
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Jan 2012
62 Posts
I got my AMA card in the mail today... Time for some flying...
809Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 809Flyer
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Didn't get to fly on the 21st, too windy. It's been bad all week, but tomorrow is SUPPOSED to be good. So all this week I've been setting, checking, re-checking a few planes to get ready for tomorrow. Just pidling.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
I assembled & re-powered the new PZ Spitfire MkIX
Looks like this thread needs some PICS
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:09 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
Also, getting ready to maiden the HK AT-6 Texan here at the ranch.... .... think I will put some shipping tape over the underbelly while the color is still good.... I'm waiting for the morning heavy dew to dry off a bit.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,871 Posts
What did you do to your plane today?

I looked at them.

I looked outside at the perfect flying conditions, the first in weeks.

I remembered it's Saturday, and I had finished any shopping.

But. I knew the flying site I use, (a sports field), would be covered in people kicking footballs about,

I hope someone else had a good day.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
I got my new wattmeter in the mail today

I soldered up some Deans connectors and also added JR receiver plugs for testing radio setups and BECs. I haven't actually tested any planes yet, but I've got a pack on the charger just for that purpose.

I have been testing my ghetto-rigged lipo-powered computer speakers, though. It seems that they draw a max of about 0.49A at 11.7V when Brad Paisley is singing about camouflage, and roughly 0.31A when Busta Rhymes is rapping about.... something... He's going too fast to understand

Very cool little device. I can't wait to see what kind of power my planes are actually running.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
It took three tries to get the little AT-6 to stay in the air! If you're not careful the little bugger likes the ground So ...... I'm putting an 8x6 ACP prop on it ( I broke both of the lightweight SF 7x6 that came with it) and a little more packing tape
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I did the final trim and glued the razorback to my Jug today. smoothing the lines is next
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Today I moved the tail wheel on the two Champs from the rudder to the fuselage, you have to start somewhere. AND, a few weeks ago I switched the wires over in the mcx2 plug so the flashing side lights are permanent navigation lights
VARSITY is offline Find More Posts by VARSITY
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
20 Posts
Whaddaya think I did. I broke it in half
After installing my third pack, noticed the ailerons hard over to right. So took it to shop and found most of the time the servo wanted to jam full right. The Rx ready plane only had 9 flights, but I replaced the bad servo with another Chinese servo, all the while congratulating myself on preventing the crash that would have come from that bad servo

So.......... on take off it rolled to the left and broke in half Not wanting to loose a good calm day, I flew my heli and P38. All the while wondering how that plane could have been so out of trim, as I was applying plenty of right rudder, then aileron when up to speed. Then it hit me check the direction. Sure enough it was reversed, never thought about that. After over 30yrs of rc aircraft you would think I would know to check direction at pre-flight. I usually do.

Oh well she is almost ready to fly again
Billypark is offline Find More Posts by Billypark
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
Didn't do anything today, but last Friday I took my UM T-28 out of the trunk of my car. It's been in there since October. Will probably have to wait until May to fly it because of wind.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers