HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,256 Posts
Today I finished up the newest plane in my hangar. It's a replacement for the one in my avatar which was destroyed a week ago due to an aileron servo failure (still my fault, though). I made a few needed improvements to this one and it came out two ounces lighter and significantly stronger

This picture gets the idea across, but it was too dark to get any good shots by the time I had her totally done today.

C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Bacchus Marsh
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
NIce plane... what model is it? or is it a scratchy?
diddoo is offline Find More Posts by diddoo
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
inside out

have a few hk 3d hawks and the last one i extended all the control arms and put two servos on the ailerons.cut foam away so you get absolute max throw on everything..This plane turns inside out on high rates, can crawl along or zoom around. You can run the battery flat doing summersaults on the spot for 10 minutes full throttle with no ill effects. wing flex is out of control to watch and you have to carve enough of the ailerons so as not to snag on fuselage when diving and spinning. can be taken out with carbon spar...but why would you when it cracks you up as it flys so great trying to snap its own wings off. It won't happen though, for the price it is a blast of fun. climbs straight,hovers. knife edge fly inside and out. can even cope with a breezy day if your good enough. Before you buildone of these it is a must to tape all the front vertical and horizontal surfaces right back to cock pit. Now it will handle crash after crash with ease you break the motor out but just keep hot glueing back in..Sweet
3dkiwi is offline Find More Posts by 3dkiwi
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Today I finished up the newest plane in my hangar. It's a replacement for the one in my avatar which was destroyed a week ago due to an aileron servo failure (still my fault, though). I made a few needed improvements to this one and it came out two ounces lighter and significantly stronger

This picture gets the idea across, but it was too dark to get any good shots by the time I had her totally done today.
it must have been really dark, because you seem to have missed a bit of covering near the empennage

nice plane, by the way
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
it must have been really dark, because you seem to have missed a bit of covering near the empennage

nice plane, by the way
That was on purpose. he was trying to create a WW1 style look. It came out nicely IMO.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,256 Posts
Quote:
NIce plane... what model is it? or is it a scratchy?
She's a scratchbuild. I think the closest plane on the market is the RadicalRC E-Hornet, which was a significant (and somewhat obvious) influence on the original design.

As for the uncovered tail, I really just like the way it looks. What you almost don't notice are the scalloped trailing edges of the ailerons and elevator which seem simple but are a real bear to cover

I flew her today. Everything went well, but she needs a bit of adjusting to be perfect. Still needs iron crosses for the wings, too.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
She's a scratchbuild. I think the closest plane on the market is the RadicalRC E-Hornet, which was a significant (and somewhat obvious) influence on the original design.

As for the uncovered tail, I really just like the way it looks. What you almost don't notice are the scalloped trailing edges of the ailerons and elevator which seem simple but are a real bear to cover

I flew her today. Everything went well, but she needs a bit of adjusting to be perfect. Still needs iron crosses for the wings, too.
The scalloping was the first thing I noticed. It looks awesome.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,256 Posts
Here's a pic of the finished product just before the very successful maiden. A buddy of mine says he can make me some crosses for the wings (maybe the tail, too, if I ask nicely ) so I've probably got that covered now.

Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:04 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
so I've probably got that covered now.
most of it

scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:33 PM
KK4TYF /Baron Von Nick
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
most of it

I see what you did there
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,333 Posts
Glad to hear the maiden went well. She's a beauty!
HeeBeeGeeBee is online now Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,092 Posts
Crashed my UMX Carbon Cub SS into the grass on a "You-Shoulda-Known-Better-than-to-fly-on-this-kinda-day" kinda day.
Dummy....
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
Certified Codger
NE Texas
Joined Jan 2008
557 Posts
After trying unsuccessfully to fly my new Wild Hawk ($50 on sale ) with stock power, I removed the brushed motor/ESC and replaced with a HURC 370 Zoom brushless motor and 30 amp ESC.

I didn't want to use a solid block in the pylon hole for a motor mount as that would block the air flow to the motor. I found a piece of 1 1/8" OD aluminum tube in the garage, which was a perfect match for the diameter of the brushed motor. For mounting the new brushless motor, I cut 4 tabs in one end of the tube and bent them out and drilled them for screws.

The addition of an air scoop to cool the ESC and battery seemed like a good idea, so I cut a hole in the canopy and adapted a plastic spoon to form a scoop. For the outlets I used two pieces of carbon fiber tube into the lower sides of the fuselage to draw air through the scoop and out the bottom.

The 240 watts (measured) will take this thing vertical almost forever!
wingspann is offline Find More Posts by wingspann
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
1,745 Posts
I added a eflight heli tail gyro to my parkzone extra 300 elevator to see if it impoves it any, not that it was bad to start with but I wanted something to do lol
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
123 Posts
Added rubber-band wing retention to the Dynam Cub...the OEM latch was pulling loose and the wing was loose on the fuselage. Also, added a proper landing gear (made for a larger plane) along with 3" DuBro wheels.
It tracks great, less flex means less ground-looping, and with the wing held tight, flying manners are more consistent.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64