HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:27 AM
Controlled Chaos
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawlerj View Post
I glue mine back together for the umpteenth time.
Yep, same here...
OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:40 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,700 Posts
taped the wires on the annoying flyzone battery that has the wires coming out sideways instead of upwards. now it finally fits in my pz t28.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,601 Posts
I researched wind shear!

I was flying in the back lot of a church with my Slow Stick. They hadn't cut the grass except for a six feet wide strip about 40' long that ran alongside the building and then stuck out to where I normally like to take off. Wow! It's an engraved invitation! Guess I won't hand launch after all.

The first two flights went wonderfully. I was playing with a CG position further aft and noticed that the plane was more twitchy (controllable) but was flying very well. Low speed flight was markedly more buoyant. So I landed for my third flight.

So the building is in front of me and to the right. The takeoff strip is directly in front of my, unobstructed for 15' and then with the building in contact with its right edge. The wind is from my right. I haven't noticed, but all while I had been flying, that wind had been slowly building. Now it was ready for my next takeoff.

I wasn't. Now there was the vortex from hell at the corner of that building but of course I couldn't see it and wasn't looking for it anyway. With the supreme confidence born of stupidity, I made my half-throttle takeoff roll toward the building, lifted off as I approached the corner, hit the vortex from the nether place and was splatted against the building as if I had been swatted with a giant fly swatter. It was over before I knew it happened.

My wing was ripped over three-quarters of the way across the chord outboard of the leading edge spar end, the motor mount was bent and the prop broken. There was no other damage.

I had the motor mount pointed right before I drove home. At home I exercised my Gorilla Glue White and had the wing over 100% in an hour. A prop and I'm ready to go. Todays lesson was brought to you by wind shear: respect it or pay the consequences!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
KK4TYF /Baron Von Nick
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,842 Posts
I gave one of my planes a cockpit and a pilot, and a nicer prop!
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:46 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
I gave one of my planes a cockpit and a pilot, and a nicer prop!
your pilot needs to pull out the bath plug
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,101 Posts
Well I put it together, took off some of the stickers. I then installed some lights under the wing to help with orientation late. Painted the tail. Also installed a 1.5 Oz led plug under the nose to get the CG right. Then I took it out and tried to learn how to land it... This FMS Mini P-51 park flier is one I found you got to fly into the ground.
It just glides forever.

Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:58 PM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
took the spitfire up for 3 sorties of 6 minutes apiece

some very nice slow victory rolls, some loops and split-s and immelmans, some (still ragged - don't quite get it) chandelles

the landings were all good but the undercarriage is again a bit loose - time for an attack of the microballons and epoxy as "substitute suspension"

what a really sweet warbird, and looks great high in the air showing that unmistakable silhouette
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:33 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
back home (a short walk) and then i finally bound my champ to the dx8; no more range "surprises"

3 lipos later, each flight timed for an easy 6 minutes (some went 7 i am sure) and i only managed to drain 70mah max from the most called upon battery

setting the timer for 10 minutes next session

and to add to my joy, the hobbyking lipo in the dx8 has now done at least 2 hours of flying and remains pretty much unchanged at 8.0v since i charged it (somewhat) at least 3 weeks ago

as i understand it is better for the lipo to sit at around 50% (so nominally 7.4v) but 8 will do fine thanks

the champ managed inverted, some rather iffy rolls and a lot of loops - huge fun !
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:13 AM
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne
Joined Jun 2012
234 Posts
hi im new to flying planes ive only been at it for bout a month and a half. Just got my cessna 400 delivered last night an ive just finished setting it up, it looks great cant wait to get out and have a fly. Theirs also a pic of my first plane the cessna 182 with flaps and nav lights.

I don't know why their upside down
korts04 is offline Find More Posts by korts04
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:01 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by korts04 View Post
it's because we're in straya, mate

or maybe it was the jim beam (i noticed the mug)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:07 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by korts04 View Post
Whoa! That puppy flies great inverted!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Whoa! That puppy flies great inverted!
no, no

that's not the way to build a high wing trainer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post

that's not the way to build a high wing trainer
lol
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
920 Posts
Got one of these Detrum GY48V gyros installed on ailerons on one of the 750mm FMS P47s, and if it takes away the rather annoying tendency to violently roll left on take-off, we'll go ahead and put another one (GY48V) in the other little jug of the same size and company, and get a 3 axis stabilizer for the big 1400mm Jug...I'm having a hard time believing the N.P. videos are stock planes after my experience with 2 of this particular model...unless I got 2 lemons in a row...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,180 Posts
flew the micro t28 in the strongest wind yet today. 3/4 power into the wind was almost stationary! went through 8 batteries and came home in one piece. i love this plane!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd