HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:42 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,057 Posts
I just spent some time gluing the elevator servo in more solid on my p39, maybe now when I want up, it will go up !
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Yesterday; flew through 3 batteries and 4 takeoff/landings, without putting a scratch on it.

Today; addressed some deficiencies in the wing attachment. From previous crashes, the wing anchors were pulling loose from the fuse, and the cheap glue used in it's construction was part of the cause. I pulled them loose, scraped off the residue, and Gorilla-glued them in place, securing with tape. I'll trim excess, then go to "phase II", consisting of;

Removing the factory struts; they are too short and actually bow the wing downward. Also, the tiny screws make it a pain to remove/install the wing for storage/transport/servicing.

Embedding a balsa "spar" in the wing underside, extending 1 ft to each side of the fuse.

Using skewers through the fuse, make a rubber-band wing anchor system, with balsa strips to prevent gouging of the foam wing.
WingNut64 is offline Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:01 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,500 Posts
I got careless and didnt watch my airspeed. I tip syalled my cessna 150 aerobat turning downwind to base and she nosed into the street from 40 ft up. I'll need a new motor shaft and maybe a rudder/nosrwheel servo and she should be good to go.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:10 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
I got careless and didnt watch my airspeed. I tip syalled my cessna 150 aerobat turning downwind to base and she nosed into the street from 40 ft up. I'll need a new motor shaft and maybe a rudder/nosrwheel servo and she should be good to go.
Ouch!
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:12 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,500 Posts
Yeah, it hurt for sure. I cant believe what a tough little plane it is!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
I replaced the weak landing gear on my HK Mossie with something a bit beefier.

Assan Sequencer HK Mossie (0 min 19 sec)
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
93 Posts
Dynam 182 knockoff 182-37" WS

Trying to change the single servo set-up for alerions(SP) to two servos on each wing half so I can program my DX8 to give me A---s and flaps. I am told it is do able, but time will tell. I did make a goof, but others have given me a way out.
I have been busy with another hobby, target shooting and have spent the last week tricking out a Ruger 10/22 take-down, so today is the first day back to the planes.
winggunner46 is offline Find More Posts by winggunner46
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Two days ago, after having it sit in the box since last October, I replaced the motor of my UM T-28 and replaced the battery lead as it was broken off at the plug.

Last night, stupidly flying near dark I stupidly flipped over to fly inverted. It was too dark, lost orientation of it (I'm not that good with inverted to begin with) and nose planted it. Ripped the wing at the root about 85% of the length. Glued it up last night but don't have any tape to cover it (dang it, just came back from the store and just now realize I forgot tape.) Haven't had it up today as the wind is really kicking right now.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I replaced the weak landing gear on my HK Mossie with something a bit beefier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deNZH...e_gdata_player
Fantastic! Flight vids plz.
WingNut64 is offline Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,381 Posts
I soldered Deans connectors on three batteries, and soldered two EC5 - EC3 adaptors for charging and connectivity purposes.
I also fixed a cracked cowl and wheels pants on a PAM Gee Bee Y Senior Sporster from a previous hard landing.
I also did maintenance on all planes that needed it and charged all batteries. All planes are ready to fly with only one to build in the que.
Ready to go out and fly now!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
473 Posts
Been changing over some of my less xpensive planes to the trusty 72MHz. This is one of my favorites, the BH Airfield 800mm F4U. I got it RTF w/2.4($89), although I really don't have complete confidence with the very low-cost Tx/Rx furnished. I also have the blue one(F4U-Kit($39) & the 800mm Tempest I got as an ARF($59) & will install the JR 790's in them. This one was the "guinea-pig" to see how easy it would be or not.

I removed the 2.4Rx, & had to gently cut some of the Rx area the orig. was positioned a bit lower. No problems. I used a 2' length of .092(2.35mm) TIG welding rod with a sharp point & slight side grind to rotate for a clean hole. Worked nicely, taped the antenna, & pulled it thru the end of the fuse. Connected the servo leads & esc lead & positioned the Rx into the enlarged area.....great fit. Tested with my 10X & had to reverse the rud/ail/ele switches on the Tx & set the expo at 20% to start.I put a drop of GG at the lower C/L of the Rx to keep it snug.

After testing all the control throws & throttle, I remembered this is a syn. Rx & I had forgotten to make an opening to check the Rx light & access to the scan button. I did a slight "hack" job not having the exact position for the opening. The next one will be better.....Mistakes are a true learning tool. Anyway, it all went together quite nicely & I am satisfied. Going to my bro's for the 4th, so I will re-maiden it with the 72 & test its' limits. They're a bit fast, need some expo, & some speed when landing, although fly superb & quite rugged. Here's some pics....

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:08 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,775 Posts
Hmm semi busy plane day for me. I repaired the broken nose of my Blaze, still waiting for the new prop that came off. Soldered a connector for the new ESC for my Blaze and two batts that came in. Fixed the connection on my Sensei, and received and installed my rudder for my
Avistar. Crap I have a lot of planes, and more now that are ready to fly, one just waiting on parts that left today...
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Well it wasn't today, but yesterday my eflite twist 3d 480 had the elevator servo jam while entering a flat spin from 200 feet up..... you can guess what happened then........
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:53 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Well it wasn't today, but yesterday my eflite twist 3d 480 had the elevator servo jam while entering a flat spin from 200 feet up..... you can guess what happened then........
You flew it in using only the throttle to control your descent, making a nice smooth landing?
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,500 Posts
Yesterday I took my cessna 150 out for a dusk flight. It was really humid and still 95 degrees at 8:45 pm. I know airplanes are supposed to perform better in cold(heavier) air it just seemed to want to float better than usual in that hot humid air.