SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:43 AM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 P-40B Warhawk

Hey guys just wanted to know if any o e got this kit yet? Looks like a sweet plane.

http://hangar-9.com/Products/Default...ProdID=HAN2595
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,904 Posts
It's not out yet
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:30 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,765 Posts
Keep an eye on this thread for info when it comes out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1585719&page=5
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,981 Posts
This looks very nice. I am glad to see H9 do the following things in a warbird:
- optional electric retracts!!!
- Nice details (guns scoops, dash, pilot)
- Electric friendly
- Modeled after specific airplane of historic significance

I am sad to see they did not continue the flat covering with panel lines like the Blue Nose P-51. It must have been too much trouble, but it sure makes for an outstanding finish. I think Horizon needs to go up a notch in this area to compete with the Hyperion and Kyosho models in this size.

But the quality looks excellent.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
This looks very nice. I am glad to see H9 do the following things in a warbird:
- optional electric retracts!!!
- Nice details (guns scoops, dash, pilot)
- Electric friendly
- Modeled after specific airplane of historic significance

I am sad to see they did not continue the flat covering with panel lines like the Blue Nose P-51. It must have been too much trouble, but it sure makes for an outstanding finish. I think Horizon needs to go up a notch in this area to compete with the Hyperion and Kyosho models in this size.

But the quality looks excellent.
Hyperion is NOT hangar 9s competition. Hyperion is quite a bit smaller and geared for a different modeler. The covering on the old Kyosho planes looked ok with the printed panel lines, but wasnt that durable and would separate from the plane's surface after a couple seansons. Good luck finding kyosho 50 size planes anymore anyway.
The covering H9 uses is better quality, but then again, they are competing against the topflite line in the same size range(50-60) which also uses a similar type of covering.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,981 Posts
kahlog, I think for the 40-50 size electric warbirds, Hyperion offers some nice choices. The weight of the Zero (2 colors), and P-51 (2 schemes) are about 7lbs with wingspans just over 50". The finish is outstanding, and kit quality is comparable to H9. They are not suited for glow, just electric, so for me, this represents a competitive choice in the same size electric warbird.

But you are correct if you mean that Hyperion does not offer the larger models, but I am only referring to the H9 50 size here. Don't get me wrong though, I love the H9 line, and my P-51 Blue Nose is awesome! But for a 50 size electric warbird, it is hard to pass up the detail offered in some other brands.

However, it would be easy to add panel lines on the P-40B, and then spray the model with flat. I was just hoping that Horizon would issue their warbirds in this condition already. I love Ultracote, so it would be nice if they did some military flat colors for the warbirds.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,504 Posts
TC , I think that part of the problem with the factory issued "Flat Iron" coverings is that they dont behave as easily as the glossy . I used Flat Monocote as an example and I am very experienced with covering a plane and i would never do it again . The monocote glossy really seals easily , melts away seems ect , the Flat seems to leave more obvious seems and more dificult to heat . I cant speek for the Ultracote , I have used the white weeved version for WW1 and WW2 open frames with great results but never a flat version
I know its sounds crazy but it was my own experience .
I would prefer to sand , then add my own lines them add flat cote .
i like hanger 9 P40 but i see it as work , I cant have a P40 without split flaps , I know it does not need them but its me , I would want to add flaps , interior , details and work work work , to many projects at this time lol
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,981 Posts
Ldm, good points, and yes I agree the flat covering must be harder to manufacture and does not go on as well. The flat covering on the P-51 is not as good as a gloss Ultracote, but is it satisfactory. I just think it would be worth their while to work the issue and get it right. Horizon has made so many improvements in ARFs, I am just suggesting this be one of them (flat covering with details preprinted).