HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:38 AM
Brasil, PR, Irati
Joined Mar 2011
64 Posts
Question
Differences between old Super Tigre engine models?

Good morning everyone.
I wonder what are the differences between an old Super Tigre engine V.35 (Stunt) and a Super Tigre G20 V.35 (Stunt).
Parts of a model could be used in other?
Sorry for my bad English and hugs to all.
Jorge
JROMA is offline Find More Posts by JROMA
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Oct 2007
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROMA View Post
Good morning everyone.
I wonder what are the differences between an old Super Tigre engine V.35 (Stunt) and a Super Tigre G20 V.35 (Stunt).
Jorge
Hi Jorge, the ST C 35 (also known as "V 35") was a plain bearing engine (without ball bearings). To my knowledge it was sold in 2 versions, one for stunt use (baffled piston) and one for Combat duties with a flat top piston system. Later its was also offered in a PDP configuration too, that offered a lil more power.
The G 21 35 was a twin ball bearing engine, that was one engine of a series of various engines made with the same crankcase mold.
The G 21 series was made, if my mind dond fail me in .29, 35, .40 and .46 displacements.
The G 21 35 in CL duties was largely used in the AMA Combat events and in some Racing activities that permitted engines up to .35 displacement, like Rat Racing etc.
Also the G 21 35 in its final versions was also offered in the PDP configuration in order to give some more power, in order to compete with the newer Schnuerle engines that were coming to the market like some hot Foxes 36 X and some others. This PDP version was named Mk II by the manufacturer at the time.

Carlo

PS: Checking and old World Engines catalog I noted that the head and the cylinder & piston from both the C 35 "Combat" and the G 21/35 have the same part numbers. The C 35 Stunt used a different Cyllinder set exclusive for the C 35 Stunt version employing a baffle piston system.
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc
Last edited by stg61abc; Feb 09, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:08 PM
Brasil, PR, Irati
Joined Mar 2011
64 Posts
Yes, very interesting to know that.
My dear old V35 engine Super Tigre C Stunt (how many numbers Our model aircraft engines used in the Cold War .... G21 35 - 35 CV etc.. Etc..)
But as I said, my dear old Super Tigre engine has this system piston baffle.
Believe it or not, but he's been with me since 1976 and was used when purchased.
It was scrapped this week for the first time, co dede when bought, after being stalled since 1980 (actually put it to work because if I remember in 1992 and another in 1995, only to recall the sound).
But it was a bit sad to see the piston and inlet line scratched in the mixture.
I do not know if the cause was overuse or misuse in the hands of its owner
earlier (I even used it somewhat), or the dirt tracks where leading particles and flew into the cylinder.
Well it does not matter but the fact is that the motor still works (at least it worked in 1995), but would like to have a new set: sleeve, piston and connecting rod to the engine.
I've been looking and I think almost impossible to find these parts today.
The only possibility would be someone selling a motor parts, but here at RC Groups, only a few users are willing to meet colleagues from other countries and so is ebay.
Concert sets for frayed steel and iron are like my Super Tigre, I believe there is.
But I would like to see the engine running 100% for the memories it brings me ....
stg61sbcThank you for your attention
Jorge
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Oct 2007
367 Posts
Hi Jorge, very nice to know that you have a ST C 35. If yours have the baffled piston, you have the "Stunt" version from the C 35, a great engine.
Saddly, most engine operators dont understand that vintage engine needs correct oiled fuel, hence a lot of very nice vintage engines are destroyed. If you can, please only use fuel with castor oil in yours with a minimum of 25 % at least.
Vintage ST engines are strongly built, so maybe yours still runs well, and the unique way to check this is making a running test.
Please do it and inform us from the results.
Good luck with the ST
All the best
Carlo
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Brasil, PR, Irati
Joined Mar 2011
64 Posts
Hello "ST", thanks again for your attention.
As I started the hobby for a very long time, already knew this information and all of us were still wearing 33% castor oil in the mixture.
This was a religion among us.
Until now use of 20% or 21% oil in my motors (22% in Rossi, castor pure). In SuperTigre Thunder Tiger modern and 10% synthetic oil in castor oil and the rest up to the 20% or slightly more.
I think the damage came from the same
dust or excessive use.
But when I start the engine again post here the results
Hugs to all.
Jorge
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2007
367 Posts
Hi Jorge, thanks by sharing your experiences with the use of the older ST´s. Really great engines.
Im attaching two pics from two ST C 35´s, one is Stunt and the other Combat version. In the second pic you can see the differences in the piston and heads and also in the format from the transfers from both versions.
All the best
Carlo
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
Brasil, PR, Irati
Joined Mar 2011
64 Posts
Appear a lot from each other.
But I remembered that 25% were still wearing the same oil rícno engine glow. The mixture was known to 3: 1 or 3 alccol methyl alcohol parts to 1 part of castor oil.
33% of oil was used in diesel engines.
I do appreciate the knowledge shared.
Few today know that this hobby is not always the planes were ARF, radios 2.4 and that the engines were not always durable and easy to operate as today.
I think we could just opening a topic called "My First RC engine" where people could put old photos and even videos of their current old "machines" running.
If you like the idea we can open it together.
new hugs
Jorge
Last edited by JROMA; Feb 10, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Jul 2010
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROMA View Post
Good morning everyone.
Jorge
Since first reading this query I've wondered. Is this query referring to the C/S .35 and the G21-35 of the 1970s vintage or does it refer to the earlier G21 models with the removable front end?

One of these engines had a deep "V" like the early G20 series, the other was without the "V" but still marked G21. Both engines had a baffled piston as did the later S.35.
Flyingtigre is offline Find More Posts by Flyingtigre
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Hi,

There was also an even earlier "G21" series, before the "V"-type was introduced.
I think about 1956-59, or so...
They were quite different in most respects....separate front housing, upright venturi, different propdriver, shallower cyl.head, and more....
Baffled piston with 2 rings.
The photo shows a G21-35. (it's ok, but has to be cleaned and tidied up)
There is a small "5.6" (cc) stamped in a circle just below the exhaust stack.

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:04 AM
Brasil, PR, Irati
Joined Mar 2011
64 Posts
Hello everyone, thanks for listening.
My motor is equal to the left of the photo sent by stg61abc, ie piston deflector, ringless, crankcase in one piece and with the V 35 engraved on it, without the "G20" written..
I am looking for a used parts (piston and sleeve)
Hugs to all
Last edited by JROMA; Feb 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, KY, Corbin
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Jroma, I know this thread is very old and you may no longer need assistance however; I actually have the same engine as you just sitting on a shelf in my shop. I bench ran it last year and then it was cleaned, oiled and bagged and then put back on it's shelf. As far as I know it still works fine. I am willing to sell this if you are interested please let me know my email is cal380@netzero.com we will figure the price and shipping out privately.
deadstikdave is offline Find More Posts by deadstikdave
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
ST G21/29 For Sale

Hi Dave;

Do you still have your ST G21/29 for sale? I am looking for the 1951-ish ringed version.

Thanks!
Kirk
KIRK1950 is offline Find More Posts by KIRK1950