HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:45 PM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Discussion
Speaking of Classic Speed Planes...

Here's my old-warhorse Cavazos Sailplane Design Vortex.

CSD Vortex 05 Electric Sport/Pylon Plane (1 min 2 sec)

Brian
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:38 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
I got the Switchblade and the Twister. They're both fantastic flyers. A Vortex would be a nice addition to my CSD family.
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:11 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
If you like the Twister and Switchblade, you would love their larger brother. The Vortex is an excellent, fast sports plane for flying smooth, big maneuvers like Cuban 8s, etc.

Brian
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, VA, Manassas
Joined Dec 2007
121 Posts
I just resurrected one of my old CSD Switchblades that I have had since the late 90's. I had several that I raced (7 cell 6V Speed 400) and now only have one that got heavy due to repairs. I sport flew it with 8 to 10 cells and had a blast. This thing had probably a thousand flights on it when it went on a shelf for about 10 years. I added a carbon spar, some glass on the nose and firewall, installed a Mega 16-15-3 and TP 3 cell 1300 It was the fastest plane most had seen back in the day w/ a 10 cell being dropped from several hundred feet. Now it seems that fast straight and level. The turns......oh well it may break someday. Had a guy the other day say " cute park flyer", just as I did a quick runup. Now that there was funny.

Brooks
bpbrinson is offline Find More Posts by bpbrinson
Last edited by bpbrinson; Feb 10, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, PA, Archbald
Joined Oct 2002
275 Posts
Hi, I just pulled out my switchblade and installed the mega 16/15/3. I am having trouble getting a 1300 lipo to fit. Can you post a pic of how you got everything inside the fuse? When I flew it on nicads it wasnt a problem as the pack was flat enough that it could go right under the wing servo.

It may be possible to put it up in the nose but I misplaced my instructions and am not sure where the CG is supposed to be. Thanks for any advice.

Bob
bob swika is offline Find More Posts by bob swika
Old May 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, VA, Manassas
Joined Dec 2007
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob swika View Post
Hi, I just pulled out my switchblade and installed the mega 16/15/3. I am having trouble getting a 1300 lipo to fit. Can you post a pic of how you got everything inside the fuse? When I flew it on nicads it wasnt a problem as the pack was flat enough that it could go right under the wing servo.

It may be possible to put it up in the nose but I misplaced my instructions and am not sure where the CG is supposed to be. Thanks for any advice.

Bob
I am using the Thunder Power 3S 1300 and got it to clear by tilting the battery away from the servo arm. I had to laterally balance with a bit of weight on the light side wing due to the battery offset. The CG is 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 from the leading edge at the root.

Hope that helps
Brooks
bpbrinson is offline Find More Posts by bpbrinson
Old May 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, PA, Archbald
Joined Oct 2002
275 Posts
That does help. Thanks.

Bob
bob swika is offline Find More Posts by bob swika
Old May 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
I remember wanting a Vortex. At the time, it was more than I could spend. I liked that it could be had with a rudder. The closest thing out there now is, I think, the Acro-Prism.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg