Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
I guess after the first post, which which I agree, there was little left to be said.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Own your own - What it means
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Mar 01, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:27 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
I be damned if I will let you get by with the last post!
OK... I 'll let you have the last say, Lyle!

Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:45 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape View Post
Just an observation, I thought appropriate here.

There is a serious dichotomy in political and religious views on this board. Few minds are changed and the dichotomy almost never alleviated.

I really wonder what many poster's goals are. Mine are generally to pull those with differing views into what IMO is a more reasonable POV, immodestly that POV right or wrong is my POV. As such I try to keep things polite and respectful, and I try to avoid the pitfall of scoring points on my opponent, as it is counterproductive to my goal.

This can be difficult when I have a significant emotional reaction, and I do fail on occasion. When this happens a little sober second thought will usually, not always, result in some editing.

Putting pride and principle in the back seat in order to achieve my goals is a prudent course of action. In fact it is a principle in its own right, so I am consistent in conscience.

Since I am somewhat central in my views and I have components of both conservatism and liberalism. I feel like I would be the ideal candidate to be swayed to either the right or left. However, in most cases it is entirely the opposite.

If one's goal is strictly to win the debate with little thought of offending others, or alienating those that are not committed, or just the enjoyment of getting under another's skin by getting in a humorous dig, then congratulations many are quite successful.

My feeling is that many have a defeatist attitude, they have tried in the past to sway others and have failed, so what is the point of even trying. Negativism at its finest.

I make no judgement on such people, their motives and actions are shaped through experience, but it is the devil that gets great joy from these developments.

Human nature perhaps, but as humans we have the ability to rise up from these roadblocks in our psyche. To acknowledge these feelings and defeat them. To be positive in our thinking, and in so doing shape the words from our mouths, the ink from our pens, and the bytes from our fingers. The ability to see the ambiguity in the written word and not let our preconceptions turn it into something it may not be.

There are many that get this, many that don't. We must ask ourselves what we sincerely wish to accomplish and are we using the best tools to achieve that end.

For your consideration,
Carey.

This is not in response to the above post or any post in general, it is something I have wanted to get off my chest for some time.
Good post Carey.

I'd have to say that it's another question where the answer is going to be " It Depends.". There isn't going to be a one size fits all answer, for a community of members, or even for a single person.

On different occasions an individual may be looking for an answer, may be looking for confirmation of a held belief, may be looking to challenge what they see as false information, may be wanting to share news of a happy event, or obtain some sympathy for a sad event and so on and so forth. Just like real life.

Now, on top of that you also have to consider the ideological and religious crusades that some participants will embark on, and there have been quite a few of those and they generate responses both in favour and against.

Last, but not least is the entertainment element, with a bit of fun and outright silliness. Sadly the amount of all out open-handed silliness has greatly decreased over recent years. Wheras in the good old days there was quite a bit of it, in recent years there has been a hardened edge to even the silliness. Occasionally a bit of fun does spontaneously break out, even now, but unfortunatley, all too often, someone sticks a political oar in and spoils it.

Perhaps a return to the sprinkling of good natured joshing about every now and again would be a good thing for this forum.?
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:11 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Good post Carey.

I'd have to say that it's another question where the answer is going to be " It Depends.". There isn't going to be a one size fits all answer, for a community of members, or even for a single person.

On different occasions an individual may be looking for an answer, may be looking for confirmation of a held belief, may be looking to challenge what they see as false information, may be wanting to share news of a happy event, or obtain some sympathy for a sad event and so on and so forth. Just like real life.

Now, on top of that you also have to consider the ideological and religious crusades that some participants will embark on, and there have been quite a few of those and they generate responses both in favour and against.

Last, but not least is the entertainment element, with a bit of fun and outright silliness. Sadly the amount of all out open-handed silliness has greatly decreased over recent years. Wheras in the good old days there was quite a bit of it, in recent years there has been a hardened edge to even the silliness. Occasionally a bit of fun does spontaneously break out, even now, but unfortunatley, all too often, someone sticks a political oar in and spoils it.

[Perhaps a return to the sprinkling of good natured joshing about every now and again would be a good thing for this forum.?
Quality
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Own your own - What it means
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Good post Carey.

Perhaps a return to the sprinkling of good natured joshing about every now and again would be a good thing for this forum.?
Thanks Brian,

Good points. I see the interjection of politics all the time just when we are having some fun. It doesn't matter what the subject, someone has to ruin it with an unwarranted, inappropriate, and outrageously off topic comment.

Cheers,
Carey.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape