SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus Dave View Post
If you used welder glue, could be too much weight. Next time, suggest you follow RC Factory recommendation and use CA (same as crazy glue)...much less weight....quick to set, build easy...and strong. No comparison. Try it, you will like it. For this foam, you can use any generic CA (ie Crazy glue) Go lite on the accelerator...if you use it. You will be very pleased you did...
Nimbus,

Welders Glue is the glue of choice for any EPP plane and e-gulls Slick was built with Foam-Tac, which is basically the same thing. CA works good but is very brittle, Welders glue joints remain flexible.

His weight is right in the ballpark with many other planes, not the lightest but certainly not heavy enough to cause the problems he's having on the 2S setup.

I suspect either the batteries or the motor and hopfully we'll get a chance to try and figure it out this weekend if the wind cooperates. I have the same setup as e-gull except I'm using Hyperion 2S-450 batteries and I have the black motor. I'm really pleased with my 2S setup and it has plenty of power.

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I just got back from flying my E-flite Cap 6 times and the TH ES 4 times.What a beautiful day after days of like 30 MPH wind and rain off and on. I finally had to take my light jacket off. One thing I noticed was my flight times were about 4 minutes and then the ES couldn't even stay in the air. It was slowly going down no matter if full throttle and up elevator. I wasn't doing much 3D since the power on 2S is marginal. Just about all the flight was at 1/2 throttle. Still enough for loops, rolls, KE spin, flat spin, stall turns, snaps. It was still fun, but I missed the power it had with 3S.
Mike:
I am looking forward to when we can fly together again. Maybe we can see why my plane is so weak on 2S. I should get the nanotech 3S batteries today or tomorrow so they gave unbelievable power when Ernie let me try his batteries.
e-gull
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
There has to be something seriously wrong if you don't have enough power on 2S. Do you have anyone else around with a 32" Twisted model that wouldn't mind swapping some components about to do a bit of trouble shooting?

At least you had a good day

Edit... I see Patron is going to be your wing man. Post up what the outcome is please
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Patron actually had a 32" Extra Slick first. After seeing him fly it, I felt like I need to get one quick! The weather has been windy and rainy for a bit so that has kept us from flying lately. I am retired so today I was able to get out for a couple hours to fly.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
I'll bet its the esc or motor, not the batts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
I just got back from flying my E-flite Cap 6 times and the TH ES 4 times.What a beautiful day after days of like 30 MPH wind and rain off and on. I finally had to take my light jacket off. One thing I noticed was my flight times were about 4 minutes and then the ES couldn't even stay in the air. It was slowly going down no matter if full throttle and up elevator. I wasn't doing much 3D since the power on 2S is marginal. Just about all the flight was at 1/2 throttle. Still enough for loops, rolls, KE spin, flat spin, stall turns, snaps. It was still fun, but I missed the power it had with 3S.
Mike:
I am looking forward to when we can fly together again. Maybe we can see why my plane is so weak on 2S. I should get the nanotech 3S batteries today or tomorrow so they gave unbelievable power when Ernie let me try his batteries.
e-gull
Check and resolder the motor connections. If your not using Deans for the battery connections, change to them. Anything close to 10amps needs a decent battery connector to carry the current.
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
If it was the motor connection, I would think it would be bad for the 3S packs too. It has awesome power with 3S. With 3S it climbs way faster than my 16 ounce foamy with a Park 450 with about 180 watts or at least it seems that way.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
The current could be lower on the 3S over the 2S, depends on the motor. I know by experience that the CC Phx 10 esc for example has a tough time with high pole count motors on 2S, but works fine on 3S. Black magic to some degree I suppose. I switched to a Turnigy Plush 10A and it worked flawlessly out of the box, when compared to multiple Phx 10's with numerous firmware downloads and experiments. The Plush 10A was less than $10...hard to beat that. Are the batts 25C discharge or better? Even if lableled as such they may not be capable of the higher currents without sagging on voltage. I've been using 65C 325mah packs from TP and they are noticably better and more powerful than the 25C 350mah packs.
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I am using the Blue motor from TH for this model, the ESC from TH for this model, and the 2S 450 mAh batteries from TH for this model. Seems like it should all work OK or lots of people would complain. Of course they maybe using the black motor, but some have stated they are using th blue motor.
It will help when Mike and I fly together and we can try switching batteries. I would be happy just using 3S from now on. I like the performance it displayed on my brothers 3S nanotechs. I have four 2S batteries so I will look into being able to use them.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
came home from work today and found me a new slick with lights so i can fly at night.
just want to thank Brad again for such fast service,even though i live in the same state as TH,usps isn't all that fast in this state
lugnutz is online now Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Jan 2006
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
Nimbus,

Welders Glue is the glue of choice for any EPP plane and e-gulls Slick was built with Foam-Tac, which is basically the same thing. CA works good but is very brittle, Welders glue joints remain flexible.

His weight is right in the ballpark with many other planes, not the lightest but certainly not heavy enough to cause the problems he's having on the 2S setup.

I suspect either the batteries or the motor and hopfully we'll get a chance to try and figure it out this weekend if the wind cooperates. I have the same setup as e-gull except I'm using Hyperion 2S-450 batteries and I have the black motor. I'm really pleased with my 2S setup and it has plenty of power.

Mike
Hi Mike,
1) Your statement that welders is the glue of choice for EPP is a very broad and general statement that simply cannot be supported. RC Factory, the builder and co-designer of the Extra Slick, Crack Yak clearly recommend in their build instructions to use CA. Perhaps your statement, might be best modified that for some, it is the glue of choice.
2) My comment was not intended to address the motor problem, it was simply stating a fact that CA is a lighter product to use than welders.
3) All products have pluses and minuses. One must evaluate for themselves what their respective priorities are. It seems logical to try to build light weight, consistent with required strength. CA does this job very well (and does it quickly and conveniently).
Bottom line, up to you Mike....
Cheers...David
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus Dave View Post
Hi Mike,
1) Your statement that welders is the glue of choice for EPP is a very broad and general statement that simply cannot be supported. RC Factory, the builder and co-designer of the Extra Slick, Crack Yak clearly recommend in their build instructions to use CA. Perhaps your statement, might be best modified that for some, it is the glue of choice.
2) My comment was not intended to address the motor problem, it was simply stating a fact that CA is a lighter product to use than welders.
3) All products have pluses and minuses. One must evaluate for themselves what their respective priorities are. It seems logical to try to build light weight, consistent with required strength. CA does this job very well (and does it quickly and conveniently).
Bottom line, up to you Mike....
Cheers...David

"Perfect choice for building and repairing
your Twisted Hobbys EPP planes! This is
the only adhesive you will ever need.
Welder virtually bonds anything to
anything! Clear, heavy-duty, flexible and
water-proof when dry. Use indoors or out.
(1) 1 oz tube"

Taken directly from TH Extra Slick build manual, page 6

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
The Welder thing is mainly brought about by the Americans, probably as it seems it's about the only place you can get the stuff. It has proven to be very successful and very popular, probably due to the early days when you had to hinge your own surfaces ,Welders did a fine job of this and if you already had it in your hand why not stick the rest together with it. We in the UK have taken to UHU Por as our alternative and I for one think it think it is a great glue, will do what Welders does and has the added advantage of not melting various other foams. Having said that the Czech's obviously have a lot of experience and success with EPP models and seem to swear by CA as the glue of choice, I might just have to give it a go one of these days and use it for an entire build. What's the worst that could happen?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:28 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
....."water-proof when dry".......
awesome!!!.........wait........what???????

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I recieved my 3S nanotechs. Too windy today and rain expected thursday and friday. Hopefully the weekend will be nice and can also trouble shoot my 2S lack of power. I really love the power with the 3S though. I want to find the solution to my 2S lack of power only so I can use the 2S batteries I bought. I prefer the 3S.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
But if you can find what the problem is I suspect that the 2S set up will give you the power your 3S gives you now and going on 3S will be