SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
Idea
MD area monthly contest?

Ok so to stop hijacking Jim's thread here we go. It seems there is interest on more regular practice contests in the md area. I for one would be thrilled to see this happen. As much as I like the frank and Oleg show when I go to contests the big dirty and reto show seems like it would be entertaining too. So the question is who would be interested and where would we do this. I will talk to bass and see if this can be arranged at the bass filed but it looks like a good mid point would be the casa field as Baltimore looks to be the northern area for interested pilots.

So if you are interested post here so we can find a good field. I figure with 21+ pilots if we had regular 50% attendance we can run pretty solid contests 1 a month.

Let's show NC they are not the only game on the east coast.

Austin
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:02 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
My time availability is a bit random, but I'm interested.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:12 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,375 Posts
In the meanwhile, you are welcome to join our next practice mini-event in Wilson this coming Sunday
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
CASA works for me, or a rotating field schedule. My issue with the sanctioned fields is most require a membership fee; often DESS practices are held at a public park, no membership required (although most participants pay the very low yearly fees). I have 1 field that doesn't require membership but it is a 2 hour drive for most folks.

Wish I could make it to Wilson this weekend but no San Felasco and another 9 hours of driving on one weekend counts me out quickly! You do learn A LOT flying against the Oleg and Frank "show'"-I consider it more of a stunt routine mixed with crazy brain power in a twist only NC can dish up!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:39 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,608 Posts
I am interested too. Big dirty and I occasionally battle it out at CASA ( when it is ugly weather so that the electric foam squadron can't fly).
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:02 PM
Frederick, MD
Joined Dec 2004
54 Posts
I'm sure with Jims project, the Frederick Model Aircraft Club would be willing to host a practice session in addition to the "Pro-Am" event Jim is planning. The club rents the field, and I'm sure wouldn't mind if competitors wanted to make a contribution. At least with the DLG's, we don't have any noise to tick off the neighbors.

Brad
bkdavy is offline Find More Posts by bkdavy
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:00 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,164 Posts
I'd like to hop in on this too if that's cool. CASA is about the same distance from me as CCRC, and those guys aren't flying much hand-launch (though they are trying to hold a glider-day every other month).

Dan
danstrider is online now Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:51 AM
USA, MD, Columbia
Joined Feb 2002
480 Posts
My availability is a bit hard to predict, but I'm interested as well.
peter_jensen is offline Find More Posts by peter_jensen
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:21 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,442 Posts
I'm interested, though CASA is a little far for me to be there every month.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
Where in nothern virginia? I'm in NoVA and it is about 40 minutes for me.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:27 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,442 Posts
It's about an hour and twenty minute's drive for me. I live near Horsefeathers.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:02 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
I was going to suggest the CCRC field but that is no closer to you Wazmo.

If you want to get better some sacrifices are going to have to be made, CASA is at least a 1.5 hour drive for me. The DESS crowd has guys driving over 2 hours each way to practice (I drove 4.5 hours each way for last weekends practice, amongst other things in Raleigh like good beer). If there is a field near Fredericksburg, I would be open to that as well since its the same distance as to CASA for me and some other folks on this list.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Last edited by samc99us; Feb 08, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo View Post
It's about an hour and twenty minute's drive for me. I live near Horsefeathers.
An hour twenty? I wish everyday I lived that close to an active dlg crowd!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:14 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
An hour twenty? I wish everyday I lived that close to an active dlg crowd!
I wouldn't talk. You are still A LOT closer to the action than I am!!!
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
I am glad we have some chatter going for a regular fun day in the area. I know of no perfect field to do this on at this time as every field has some small issue. I think we should just pick a place to do it or share among a couple on a rotation to see how it goes.

Brad, I think our field for club members will work to practice a little, but to host one of these fun days it would be very limited. The rule of thumb for space is 30m square per pilot. The runway is too small for that. The other thing is the desire and need to fly 360 airspace based on prevailing winds. The power lines and homes make that a little tough at FMAC.

I have been thinking about where to hold this Pro AM contest to make it realistic. If we can find a temporary use field in the area, it would be great. I am open to ideas if anyone has one. If not we will be contacting clubs in the area for a shot at a one day. If we do find a suitable one day location at a park or field, that may end up being our best "practice day" area as well.

I am excited. I think we are getting to critical mass!

Frank! Dial 1-800-WAA-AAAA then call the MegaBus and hop a ride down to join us at Balitmore! Oh, and BRING A ROUND TIMER!!!!!
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken