Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:20 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
You'd only need to use a 3s pack into the BEC Pro if you are running HV servos. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Are 7955TG's considered HV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
They can be run on 2s unregulated.
This brings up a question for me.

I've never really heard of running 3S. What are the rules or reasons for 3S vs 2S?
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
Higher voltages just make the BEC work harder. It now has to drop 11.1v nom to 6-7.4 instead of 7.4v nom to 6v etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post

I've never really heard of running 3S. What are the rules or reasons for 3S vs 2S?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:47 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Higher voltages just make the BEC work harder. It now has to drop 11.1v nom to 6-7.4 instead of 7.4v nom to 6v etc.
if you even have a bec. And the 3S advantage is....?
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,714 Posts
Quote:
if you even have a bec. And the 3S advantage is....?
A Constant 8v throughout the whole flight.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
If you run 3S to your BEC then you can regulate the voltage at 8 volts, or around there and have a consistant high voltage running your servos for the entire flight.

If you run straight 2S LiPo, you are at 8.4v at the start of the flight and at something lower at the end of the flight. If you are good enough (I'm not) you will notice a servo speed/torque change during the flight as the voltage gradually decreases.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
ok. and the ways to regulate 3S to a constant 8V are? Yes. I'm still asking this after I just bought 2 2S2200 for my 89 slick.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
ok. and the ways to regulate 3S to a constant 8V are? Yes. I'm still asking this after I just bought 2 2S2200 for my 89 slick.
Use a 3s pack (12.6 volts) and a BEC. Set the BEC to 8.4 volts.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
The easiest way would be to use a Castle BEC Pro

You can purchase a different brand of voltage regulator from Fromeco or Smart Fly or other places

I'm running two 2S LiPos unregulated in my 103 Extra. I may, sometime in the future change over to 3S regulated but I don't have any desire to do so at the current time.

2S LiPo unregulated has worked well for me
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:11 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Use what you bought. When you start your next build, ask what we are doing now. Because it changes frequently.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:12 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
The easiest way would be to use a Castle BEC Pro

You can purchase a different brand of voltage regulator from Fromeco or Smart Fly or other places

I'm running two 2S LiPos unregulated in my 103 Extra. I may, sometime in the future change over to 3S regulated but I don't have any desire to do so at the current time.

2S LiPo unregulated has worked well for me
That's what I've always run, but with me switching to all HV servos and RX I was just wondering what the advantages were. All good stuff. Thanks
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:30 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:

Regulated 2s would max out around 6.5V, most regulators cannot regulate down to the same voltage as the supply, since the 2s voltage will drop under load. Running a 3s through a BEC lets you regulate to 7.4V or 8.4V. Be careful though, some switches and things are only rated to 10V, so you can't use them with the 3s pack. I initially thought about running two 3s packs into my Wolverine switch, then putting a BEC on the output so I could regulate at 8.4V, however the Wolverine unit is only rated to 12V (I guess I should've called Fromeco to find out if it can handle 12.6V).
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:44 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a few questions for you all and this seems like an appropriate place for them.

I only have one balsa plane. The 3DHS 41" edge, and love it! I've been thinking about getting another 3DHS plane.

Right now I'm undecided between the 48" Velox (found one RTF for 300 on craigslist) or the 51" Slick. I'm leaning more towards the Slick, but I do not like the color scheme. I know I could just have it recovered, but I've never covered a plane before and I'm sure it's not cheap to have someone do it.

Is there anyone out there that has both of these planes? Which would you recommend? I'm looking for more of a 3D performance vs standard aerobatics.

Also I saw on 3DHS's website in the "got eta" and there is a 48" plane on the water. What is this going to be? Anyone know?

Thanks
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Also I saw on 3DHS's website in the "got eta" and there is a 48" plane on the water. What is this going to be? Anyone know?
That's the 48" EPP Yak. It apparently was left up there to cause confusion
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Hi all,

I've got a few questions for you all and this seems like an appropriate place for them.

I only have one balsa plane. The 3DHS 41" edge, and love it! I've been thinking about getting another 3DHS plane.

Right now I'm undecided between the 48" Velox (found one RTF for 300 on craigslist) or the 51" Slick. I'm leaning more towards the Slick, but I do not like the color scheme. I know I could just have it recovered, but I've never covered a plane before and I'm sure it's not cheap to have someone do it.

Is there anyone out there that has both of these planes? Which would you recommend? I'm looking for more of a 3D performance vs standard aerobatics.

Thanks
If you like the color scheme of the Velox and you don't like the color scheme of the Slick (?) then get the Velox. Both are good 3D machines....all 3DHS planes are good 3D machines! so the choice is really up to you.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
ETA page needs updating, it was the 48" EPP yak.

Me personally i would go with the slick if you can afford it just due to the size and bigger is better pretty much...i wouldnt worry about the covering though seems like alot of money to dump into an ARF. The Velox is a nice plane though as well and that $300 might be a good deal all depends on the equipment in it.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102