SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:03 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,234 Posts
Question -

A neighbor of mine has an inexpensive heli that uses a 1300 mah 7.4 volt Lithium Ion battery to power it, would a 2s lipo work in it's place.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Last edited by goflyhighrc; Mar 08, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:07 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
A neighbor of mine has an inexpensive heli that uses a 1300 mah 7.4 volt Lithium Ion battery to power it, would a 2s lipo work in it's place.
Should be fine. Better probably, li-ion's have pretty low C ratings typically. The voltages of a lipo vs. a li-ion are only .1 volt higher, not enough to matter. They are so close that some chargers don't even differentiate between the two in the charge cycle actually.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:08 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,977 Posts
Yes, 2S LiPo is 7.4v (nominal).
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:35 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,234 Posts
Thanks Guys !! He'll be happy, he said it takes him 2.5 hours to charge his batterys on the rinky dink charger that came with the kit. I have some 2s lipos and an old lipoly charger that will charge 4 at a time, he can do some flying now.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:42 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,977 Posts
I'm curious, are you sure it wasn't LiPo to begin with? About the only 2 cell battery that produces 7.4V is LiPo. 2S LiFe is 6.6V.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:44 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I might try it again today just to see if balancing changed anything.
Get a chance to run her up?
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:07 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
They make 7.4v Li-ion batteries. Life batts are different
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:05 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Feb 2010
179 Posts
Hey guys....just for reference, we have a bunch of rear carb DLE 30s and a couple DLE 35s flying in our area. They are performing outstanding out here and folks here won't hesitate to buy them.

The tuning issues I hear about with the 30 I believe our mostly chalked up to learning how to tune a gas engine. I agree that tuning is more critical on the smaller singles. The larger engines are more tolerant of bad tuning.

If anybody out there is not happy with their DLE 30, please let us know if you'd be interesting in selling it. As mentioned, the folks around here in San Anton and Austin would jump at chance to buy a used DLE 30.

Thanks,
Frank
FlyingFrankie is offline Find More Posts by FlyingFrankie
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:22 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I'm curious, are you sure it wasn't LiPo to begin with? About the only 2 cell battery that produces 7.4V is LiPo. 2S LiFe is 6.6V.
Li ion is the same voltage as Lipo per cell. 3.7 nominal. The tech is a bit more stable than Lipo. Well it's supposed to be anyway. Just go ask Boeing about how stable they are while a whole fleet of dream liners is grounded
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:39 AM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrankie View Post
Hey guys....just for reference, we have a bunch of rear carb DLE 30s and a couple DLE 35s flying in our area. They are performing outstanding out here and folks here won't hesitate to buy them.

The tuning issues I hear about with the 30 I believe our mostly chalked up to learning how to tune a gas engine. I agree that tuning is more critical on the smaller singles. The larger engines are more tolerant of bad tuning.

If anybody out there is not happy with their DLE 30, please let us know if you'd be interesting in selling it. As mentioned, the folks around here in San Anton and Austin would jump at chance to buy a used DLE 30.

Thanks,
Frank
Agreed! I'm a DLE owner 3. Sorry not selling mine.
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,726 Posts
I asked this in the Fly low thread but I figured I ask here too:
What are the biggest props you guys are running on your OS GT33 or DLE-35 engines? Do you have RPM data?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:18 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,199 Posts
My dle 35 is too new to report on...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,726 Posts
You ever get a chance to run it up with that prop balanced?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:09 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Today is the first time I have flown on 4 months. my rusty thumbs totaled my AJ 46'' yak. I was not even doing anything but flying a straight line down the runway and I flew it into the ground.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
Today is the first time I have flown on 4 months. my rusty thumbs totaled my AJ 46'' yak. I was not even doing anything but flying a straight line down the runway and I flew it into the ground.
To make you feel better, I damaged my 42" slick this morning. The worst thing was, it did not even happen in the air! Didn't know how strong the wind was, but my slick got flipped over by the wind on the run way. Flew one pack, landed safely and decided to call it a day. On the way back to my SUV, the wind blowed the plane off my left hand, while my right hand was holding TX and battery bag. So, I tried to catch the plane with one hand, squeezed the frame and broke the ribs after the LG..
Back to the field this afternoon with my 59 slick and new batteries. Guess what? I forgot to put Velcro on theses new batteries.....
Seems that my fingers are not the only thing get rusty.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT