SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke21m View Post
Ben told me a couple years ago at a Huckfest that after 300 or so flights to go over the joints with CA and you can get any plane to last a long time. 600+ flights on a good quality arf.
Sounds logical to me. A good design should be putting all the load into the wood and not the glue joints anyway.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:18 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
that is interesting, It must really be an advantage for giant scale planes then. As I have not had and of my small planes where out. Why do the larger wood planes where out, is it because of the vibration of the engine?
From what I've heard...I am not in this class of piloting, I'm just explaining the general reason why some prefer composite IMAC/Pattern planes.

There is a difference between simply an airframe lasting...and the airframe performing as "tightly" as it should.

Most professionals put 1000+ flights on an airframe in a season...and they count on the airframe performing the same on flight 1000 as it did on flight 50. (especially pattern guys)

This is not a concern to the recreational pilot who is just out to fly...it's more of a concern to the pilot who takes his flying to the highest level and counts on a more consistent performance over the years of his/her airframe. (read: professional competitors)

This is the general reasoning you'll hear from pilots that prefer composite airframes for particular reasons.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Quote:
that is interesting, It must really be an advantage for giant scale planes then. As I have not had and of my small planes where out. Why do the larger wood planes where out, is it because of the vibration of the engine?
Yes, and improperly balanced props....and if doing 3D....then also just general stress on the airframe will wear them out....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Funny thing that I heard yesterday... One of the guys at our field who is a very good flier was flying a CARF Extra (260 or 360, not sure which), and every time he would do any kind of higher speed maneuver that involved large aileron movement, we would hear a howl.... It seems that the wing at the ends of the ailerons (not the ailerons themselves), were open, and when the ailerons moved a large amount, it acted just like blowing over the mouth of a glass bottle...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 10, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
From what I've heard...I am not in this class of piloting, I'm just explaining the general reason why some prefer composite IMAC/Pattern planes.

There is a difference between simply an airframe lasting...and the airframe performing as "tightly" as it should.

Most professionals put 1000+ flights on an airframe in a season...and they count on the airframe performing the same on flight 1000 as it did on flight 50. (especially pattern guys)

This is not a concern to the recreational pilot who is just out to fly...it's more of a concern to the pilot who takes his flying to the highest level and counts on a more consistent performance over the years of his/her airframe. (read: professional competitors)

This is the general reasoning you'll hear from pilots that prefer composite airframes for particular reasons.
Are there any composite 3d planes? I've never seen one.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:03 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post

This is the general reasoning you'll hear from pilots that prefer composite air-frames for particular reasons.
OK, I think i get it. Wood being a natural material expands and contracts. Which could change how the plane flies slightly over time. Where as composite materials do not change and stay consistent.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:04 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
yes, COMP ARF, Krill, and even the new Hanger 9 100cc QQ yak.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:16 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Funny thing that I heard yesterday... One of the guys at our field who is a very good flier was flying a CARF Extra (260 or 360, not sure which), and every time he would do any kind of higher speed maneuver that involved large elevator movement, we would hear a howl.... It seems that the wing at the ends of the ailerons (not the ailerons themselves), were open, and when the ailerons moved a large amount, it acted just like blowing over the mouth of a glass bottle...

SteveT.
funny... the 89 that I had, which wasn't set up by me, made a crazy honking sort of sound when rolling at high speeds. I'm curious to see if it still does it when the present owner gets it in the air. of course it might not be audible over the roar of the dle 70 he put in it.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:58 PM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
funny... the 89 that I had, which wasn't set up by me, made a crazy honking sort of sound when rolling at high speeds. I'm curious to see if it still does it when the present owner gets it in the air. of course it might not be audible over the roar of the dle 70 he put in it.
lol cant wait to get it in the air dle 70 would be sweet but its a 60cc
jamesrini is offline Find More Posts by jamesrini
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:04 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Ah yes, the yellow 89... she made that noise when she was happy.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Funny thing that I heard yesterday... One of the guys at our field who is a very good flier was flying a CARF Extra (260 or 360, not sure which), and every time he would do any kind of higher speed maneuver that involved large elevator movement, we would hear a howl.... It seems that the wing at the ends of the ailerons (not the ailerons themselves), were open, and when the ailerons moved a large amount, it acted just like blowing over the mouth of a glass bottle...

SteveT.
Comp-arf's aileron's "chirp" at high speeds.......loud enough to be annoying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrini View Post
lol cant wait to get it in the air dle 70 would be sweet but its a 60cc
Cool... but 70 would be fun to watch on an 89 for sure..
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:38 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,818 Posts
Is there going to be a 14% off 3DHS sale this week?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:50 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I actually meant to say ailerons, but had another "senior moment" and said elevator....oh well... C'est la vie.....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:52 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Is there going to be a 14% off 3DHS sale this week?
I take it you mean a 14% off sale on Feb. 14th?? That would be a "sweetheart" of a deal....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Quote:
yes, COMP ARF, Krill, and even the new Hanger 9 100cc QQ yak.
It seems like most composite aircraft have scale type hinging, which I have been told by many people that would know (I have never flown a large composite aircraft), that scale hinging doesn't 3D well....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member