SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:21 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
I've never posted in this thread because I'm not a fanatic, heck I'm not even an airplane nut, I'm here for the pucker. I've had the PLEASURE of flying with Ben and the crew! He's a first class guy! He's confident in what he builds and he will tell you to give something else a try. Well I confess I went to the dark side and put together an Extreme Flight 48" Edge. It is a nice aircraft, no doubt about it. I've tried PA too, there I said it. I've always said I'm loyal to me and what works for me!!! I keep coming back to 3DHS! I'll never buy another EF or PA. After the sun comes up I'm getting on the phone to Rob at ADC and ordering TWO 51" Slicks!
3DHS planes are fantastic. But I think EF makes awesome planes too. I happen not to have any EF planes at the moment but I do like them. I think Ben would say the same thing to be honest. I seem to prefer the 3DHS planes as they fit my flying style but you can't go wrong with an EF plane either.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:26 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Yeah have had both. Flown a lot of both and prefer the way 3dhs planes fly. Both are well built for sure but 3dhs gets more of my cash...
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:59 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Yeah have had both. Flown a lot of both and prefer the way 3dhs planes fly. Both are well built for sure but 3dhs gets more of my cash...
I've not found anything to beat the slick yet,but the MXS from Extreme Flight is a very very close 2nd.
Vyper is still king in the hybrid dept..I really miss mine bad.
EF Laser looks to be just plain awesome. Ive never really been an extra lover from either brand but the 103 I flew of Bonedoc's in Texas probly would have changed my mind if I could have flown it a little more and in winds under 30mph

3DHS Edge of Bivens' I flew in Tenn was soooo solid..It was as easy to huck as the 60 edge EXP from Extreme Flight.
I want to fly a 104 slick and a 120 slick one day. I did fly Extreme Flights 119 ish yak and it is my biggest plane flight to date.It was set up for pattern only so had no 3d throws programmed in but flew very true. I would like to put a 120 slick on deck in front of me in a hover.
I reckon what I'm sayin is to have both brand's planes in the hangar and lineup at the field makes for a well rounded happy hangar.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:03 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I have seen plenty of EF planes at the field... quality looks great, but I just like the 3DHS color schemes better for the most part.

I'm looking forward to seeing their bigger Laser. I had a pull on the 48" version and it sort of reminded me of my 70" Velox. Very fast and capable.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:34 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
I've got one EF plane, an old 45" Extra 300. Really sturdy construction, but yet still lightweight. I'm still waiting on a 60ish inch Laser, I'll have one when they come out.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:03 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
I have seen plenty of EF planes at the field... quality looks great, but I just like the 3DHS color schemes better for the most part.

I'm looking forward to seeing their bigger Laser. I had a pull on the 48" version and it sort of reminded me of my 70" Velox. Very fast and capable.
I also agree with this... the color schemes on the 3DHS planes are MUCH better in general. But I do like that red/black/white scheme on their 48" Extra.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:10 AM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
United States, NC, Maiden
Joined Jul 2011
418 Posts
I own both 3dhs and ef air frames. To me, the 3dhs seems to be "floatier", but the ef frames seem to be built a little bit stronger (but not by a substantial amount). I love both brands and really make up my mind based on three factors: looks, price and availability at the time I have the money. The Slicks are my primary plane from 3dhs and they're darn near hard to beat IMO. However, I've got a 60" Edge (waiting to be built) and a 64" MXS from ef that is a quick plane to grab as well.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion. Both are top notch products and are 85% of my airframes I have right now.
harddrive8 is offline Find More Posts by harddrive8
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosam View Post
welcome to the dark side, you will love it here...
I've always thought of us as the enlightened side.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:35 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,280 Posts
I own both. They are both a little better at what they're named for....3DHS for low and slow 3D and Extreme Flight for high energy extreme aerobatics.

That doesn't mean that 3DHS planes don't do high energy and that EF planes don't do low and slow. It just means one might fit your style more than the other. I only fly post stall for about 25-30% of my flights and the rest of the time i'm flying fast. I prefer EF. I see some guys that mainly like to do post stall 3D stuff and they prefer 3DHS.

As for color schemes that's just a personal thing. One is not better than the other.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Last edited by hone1er; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:21 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I've not found anything to beat the slick yet,but the MXS from Extreme Flight is a very very close 2nd.
Vyper is still king in the hybrid dept..I really miss mine bad.
EF Laser looks to be just plain awesome. Ive never really been an extra lover from either brand but the 103 I flew of Bonedoc's in Texas probly would have changed my mind if I could have flown it a little more and in winds under 30mph

3DHS Edge of Bivens' I flew in Tenn was soooo solid..It was as easy to huck as the 60 edge EXP from Extreme Flight.
I want to fly a 104 slick and a 120 slick one day. I did fly Extreme Flights 119 ish yak and it is my biggest plane flight to date.It was set up for pattern only so had no 3d throws programmed in but flew very true. I would like to put a 120 slick on deck in front of me in a hover.
I reckon what I'm sayin is to have both brand's planes in the hangar and lineup at the field makes for a well rounded happy hangar.
The 104 slick is the best plane l have flown to date. Its just simply amazing. It fly like a bigger slightly floatier 71 slick. Plus its very big for its wing span. I didn't realize how big it was until l had it inches off the ground hovering it about 2 ft infront of me.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:36 AM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
I've always thought of us as the enlightened side.
I like the idea of being "the dark side"...
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:41 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosam View Post
I like the idea of being "the dark side"...
I don't hold it against you
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:16 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I own both. They are both a little better at what they're named for....3DHS for low and slow 3D and Extreme Flight for high energy extreme aerobatics.

That doesn't mean that 3DHS planes don't do high energy and that EF planes don't do low and slow. It just means one might fit your style more than the other. I only fly post stall for about 25-30% of my flights and the rest of the time i'm flying fast. I prefer EF. I see some guys that mainly like to do post stall 3D stuff and they prefer 3DHS.

As for color schemes that's just a personal thing. One is not better than the other.
For the most part this is right on, however both companies make numerous models so I think we would have to compare extra to extra, edge to edge...

Personally I like some of one brand and some of the other. I like the floaty 60 ef edge but also love the violent 58. Some love the 87 extra but I think the 91 ef extra blows it away, however I'm still a slick lover and have yet to fly any ef plane other than the 64mxs that comes even close to the enjoyment i get from the slicks so 3dhs has received more of my money. From one of my pattern guys-he loves the Osiris and hates the vanquish. Each plane is a little bit different so comparing each brand with a general description could be misleading.

As for color schemes, I hate the 60 mxs schemes but love their 91 and 60 extra. I also love and hate some 3dhs schemes but with 2 options I've never not bought a plane because I hated the scheme. To pick one brand only would really be your loss because both have some superstars in their lineups. I'm really looking forward to bigfoot and a big laser! Keep an open mind and all will be good.  
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Last edited by DaaBears; Jan 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:37 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post

Yep. Well said and I couldn't agree more. I'm probably post stall 50-75% of my flights so I prefer 3DHS but I think when said that just because 3DHS excels at low and slow and EF excels and high energy doesn't mean that either brand can only do one or the other is right.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:41 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
just because 3DHS excels at low and slow and EF excels and high energy doesn't mean that either brand can only do one or the other is right.
My 87" Extra really has some great slow flight characteristics and I simply love it but I would not say the same for my 47" SHP. It wants to fall out of the sky slow if you are not careful. I just added a EF 60" Edge as I just love the way it looks with the T-style canopy. Have not flown it yet. Good to have at least one mixed in there.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR