HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Insane is exactly how to describe the sale, but you have to be computer savy to have any chance of winning....imho. Heck, last sale was so crazy folks were saying I'll take # x before it was listed, just hoping they would like it if they happened to win it. That said, I'll be there in spirit, having a blast watching all the addicts foaming at the mouth Who knows maybe we will get lucky!
Being computer savy is good but having two computers to work with can help.

One to follow the thread, one to have "I'll take # X" ready to post.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:23 PM
Jolly Green
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Sep 2011
16 Posts
Wow! you guys really are serious about this! Two computers?? does it happen during working hours during the week? weekend? or just totally random?
jjohns51 is offline Find More Posts by jjohns51
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:27 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,869 Posts
Usually a weeknight.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
Jolly Green
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Sep 2011
16 Posts
Thank you racer.
jjohns51 is offline Find More Posts by jjohns51
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:51 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Gorilla Glue

Response to Question I asked GG about the White Glue

Gorilla Glue Dries White gains strength faster and is ultimately the same strength when fully cured as the original Gorilla Glue (brown). When we developed the dries white formula, we did a lot of testing to ensure that we maintained the strength properties of the glue - it is just a bit faster when it cures. With both formula’s, there is no strength in the foam that squeezes out. The white foam is softer than the original squeeze out. There is no strength in this foam for either glue. Gorilla Glue is meant to be used between two tight fitting pieces; so tight that the glue expands into the pores of the substrates and the glue line is basically invisible. This is what makes the bond so strong. It cannot be used as a filler or a sealer. It will fill any gaps or voids but it only does this cosmetically and not structurally since there is no strength in the foam.Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Glue Dries White formulas will work on non-porous surfaces, such as metals or glass, but we do recommend lightly scratching up the non-porous surfaces first with some sand paper where the glue will be. This will give a texture to the surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:08 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Response to Question I asked GG about the White Glue

Gorilla Glue Dries White gains strength faster and is ultimately the same strength when fully cured as the original Gorilla Glue (brown). When we developed the dries white formula, we did a lot of testing to ensure that we maintained the strength properties of the glue - it is just a bit faster when it cures. With both formula’s, there is no strength in the foam that squeezes out. The white foam is softer than the original squeeze out. There is no strength in this foam for either glue. Gorilla Glue is meant to be used between two tight fitting pieces; so tight that the glue expands into the pores of the substrates and the glue line is basically invisible. This is what makes the bond so strong. It cannot be used as a filler or a sealer. It will fill any gaps or voids but it only does this cosmetically and not structurally since there is no strength in the foam.Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Glue Dries White formulas will work on non-porous surfaces, such as metals or glass, but we do recommend lightly scratching up the non-porous surfaces first with some sand paper where the glue will be. This will give a texture to the surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to.
Interesting. From my experience with Robart hinges as well as the flat ones, I haven't ever had "tight" fit between the hinge and balsa. Seems like Gorilla Glue may not be a good choice since the foam has no structural strength.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:10 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
Interesting. From my experience with Robart hinges as well as the flat ones, I haven't ever had "tight" fit between the hinge and balsa. Seems like Gorilla Glue may not be a good choice since the foam has no structural strength.
Gorilla Glue Dries White gains strength faster and is ultimately the same strength when fully cured as the original Gorilla Glue (brown). When we developed the dries white formula, we did a lot of testing to ensure that we maintained the strength properties of the glue - it is just a bit faster when it cures.

With both formula’s, there is no strength in the foam that squeezes out. The white foam is softer than the original squeeze out. There is no strength in this foam for either glue. Gorilla Glue is meant to be used between two tight fitting pieces; so tight that the glue expands into the pores of the substrates and the glue line is basically invisible. This is what makes the bond so strong. It cannot be used as a filler or a sealer. It will fill any gaps or voids but it only does this cosmetically and not structurally since there is no strength in the foam.

Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Glue Dries White formulas will work on non-porous surfaces, such as metals or glass, but we do recommend lightly scratching up the non-porous surfaces first with some sand paper where the glue will be. This will give a texture to the surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to.

Yeah, not so sure after speaking with them after they responded to me email, basicly said if it's filling any kind of voic or space there is no strength to it.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:19 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Gorilla Glue Dries White gains strength faster and is ultimately the same strength when fully cured as the original Gorilla Glue (brown). When we developed the dries white formula, we did a lot of testing to ensure that we maintained the strength properties of the glue - it is just a bit faster when it cures.

With both formula’s, there is no strength in the foam that squeezes out. The white foam is softer than the original squeeze out. There is no strength in this foam for either glue. Gorilla Glue is meant to be used between two tight fitting pieces; so tight that the glue expands into the pores of the substrates and the glue line is basically invisible. This is what makes the bond so strong. It cannot be used as a filler or a sealer. It will fill any gaps or voids but it only does this cosmetically and not structurally since there is no strength in the foam.

Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Glue Dries White formulas will work on non-porous surfaces, such as metals or glass, but we do recommend lightly scratching up the non-porous surfaces first with some sand paper where the glue will be. This will give a texture to the surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to.

Yeah, not so sure after speaking with them after they responded to me email, basicly said if it's filling any kind of voic or space there is no strength to it.
If there's space, there's foam, if there is foam, there is no strength...t'is why I have always stuck (pun intended) with epoxy...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
If there's space, there's foam, if there is foam, there is no strength...t'is why I have always stuck (pun intended) with epoxy...

SteveT.
But no failure for me in several years(since getting into RC). I have popped a couple loose when I touched the rudder a bit hard. In that case almost better to yank it out instead of half the rudder balsa.

But that said....I may go back to epoxy because it less messy. And on one recent plane I had the foam push out the horn a bit. Not fun. and I use no extra moisture, that only creates more foam. I am near the coast so humidity is usually pretty high anyway.
robj is online now Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:57 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,464 Posts
Quote:

SteveT.
Well no strength is clearly an overstatement. There is obviously some strength, just not nearly as much as with no foam. The only question is is it strong enough?
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:53 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrieri View Post
LOL.... and the debates rage on....

Radio wars, Servo wars (and whether HS-7955TG servos are HV), glue wars, SFGs VS. no SFGs...wheel pants VS. no wheel pants...mixes VS. no mixes..etc, etc, etc......

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:

Radio wars, Servo wars (and whether HS-7955TG servos are HV), glue wars, SFGs VS. no SFGs...wheel pants VS. no wheel pants...mixes VS. no mixes..etc, etc, etc......

SteveT
you mean people actually have an opinion about which radios, servos, glue, etc are the best?
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:09 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:

SteveT
Hah
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:18 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
"Silly boys and their toys" and my wife says... As she watches the stupid housewife shows about catty women arguing about nothing... Men and women are so very different
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake