SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:24 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
I REALLY want a 3DHS 104" slick. That's basically all I own. Thus why I've pushed so hard to hear from someone that represents the company. I realize the motor I'm using is very close to fitting which is another reason I haven't walked away sooner. They've got great flying planes. You can't go wrong there.

Here's a DA120(or should I say an engine that is 11 7/8" wide) fit into a 104" slick I believe. As you can see there appears to still be a little room left on the left jug. How much? Well, that's the hundred thousand dollar question. ( I think I just dated myself). If the engine I wanted to use was 12.25 inches. you would divide that by 2 which is 4mm or so. Is there 4 mm left there?
No, if you want to date yourself....you say the $64,000 question, which predated the $100,000 question...

And that certainly appears to be a DA120....at least says Desert Aircraft on it....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:26 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
oh ok i thought you were asking about the DA 120. i didnt realize you were wanting to use a different motor.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
My first giant scale planes were Comp-ARF and that was more than a decade ago. Great planes. When I started flying 3DHS though, I just felt like I was a better pilot. Hear that before? Ya, everyone says that. Cause it's true. They're awsome. Maybe it was because I was practicing more or maybe it was the plane. Maybe it was both. I'll never know. In this instance though, it looks like have no other choice but to consider other airframes that have a cowl that is large enough like the EF Yak, AW Edge, Comp-Arf Edge or Yak. I think they'll all fit 12.25.
Unfortunately, the 88" EF Yak is no longer available...there is however (from what I understand) a 91" coming out.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:33 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Unfortunately, the 88" EF Yak is no longer available...there is however (from what I understand) a 91" coming out.

SteveT
88 is 50-60cc yak.... 100(or was it 110) is 100-120 cc (i think he is talking about 120cc engine?)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
I think at this time, there has just been a whole lot of confusion here, so, in the interest of letting dead dogs lie, and not beating any more dead horses. Why don't we all step back a ways, and if there is still a question to be asked that we (somebody) can answer, then let it be asked, and possibly answered...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 06, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:35 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
how many scoops of ovaltine should go in the glass of milk? or is it pre made already? (never had any)
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:36 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
size of stand-off needed for the a60-xs on a 74" edge?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
88 is 50-60cc yak.... 100(or was it 110) is 100-120 cc (i think he is talking about 120cc engine?)
That is true!! D'OH!! Another darn "senior moment"....but then I must admit to being a bit distracted, as I have a Microsoft technician repairing my computer via remote access, so I am watching that too....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:44 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
That is true!! D'OH!! Another darn "senior moment"....but then I must admit to being a bit distracted, as I have a Microsoft technician repairing my computer via remote access, so I am watching that too....

SteveT
altough it might be quite fun to put 120cc in 88" plane...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
Team 3DHS
djmoose's Avatar
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
size of stand-off needed for the a60-xs on a 74" edge?
I am using 1/4 nylon spacers and 3 washers on each standoff and it is pretty much perfect.

(that quote from Steve T)

Some people just used 1/2" spacers and have a bit of a gap.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:40 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
I am using 1/4 nylon spacers and 3 washers on each standoff and it is pretty much perfect.

(that quote from Steve T)

Some people just used 1/2" spacers and have a bit of a gap.
those nylon spacers are cool. For the gap perfectionist, you can sand em down a little to adjust the gap. Ziz wheel with some sand paper on it will knock it right down.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:20 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
I am using 1/4 nylon spacers and 3 washers on each standoff and it is pretty much perfect.

(that quote from Steve T)

Some people just used 1/2" spacers and have a bit of a gap.
It is??? I have an A60-5S (8S, different size motor) with no spacers at all in mine....and gives a .109375" gap.....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 06, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:21 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
I only got involved because you called out Arron because he had not replied to your PM. Arron has been extremely helpful as many of you know, and I just found it rude to call him out since it was the holiday season and I am sure Arron was busy
"busy" would be a word for it. I did drop the ball on mark's PM though... it was day after Chrissy and I didn't have time to measure the 104 at the time, and after reading it removes the "you have X messages waiting" deal at the top of RCG. And apologies that RCG hasn't had my attention... the client that supported my day job (which isn't 3DHS) lost funding, so I've been rather preoccupied with refilling that particular void... haven't even flown in weeks, it's rather depressing. 2013 has been rather sporty for me so far...

...anyways, didn't mean to interrupt, I'll let ya get back to the horse floggings...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:37 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
God bless Arron and best wishes on finding work.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:44 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Yeah good luck on that Arron!!

And personally I think enough floggings (people, horses or camels) have happened today...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Unofficial NQD Tear Into Jet Boat Mod Thread Energy Racing Boats - Electric 13897 Today 03:39 AM
Discussion Banana Hobby Customer Support Request/Q and A Thread! banana hobby Banana Hobby 1128 Dec 11, 2014 02:32 PM
Discussion The Official AirWare Q&A Thread AndyKunz Radios 95 Feb 14, 2013 09:36 AM
Discussion THE FIRST UNOFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi mods thread!!!! bluemeane Micro Ready-to-Fly 27 Aug 18, 2009 12:23 AM
Megatech H2O unofficial thread and first rewiew. grk65 Racing Boats - Electric 7 Mar 05, 2007 01:09 AM