HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:26 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,186 Posts
And i'm sure if you flew a bunch of 100cc planes that would be where it was at

I mean bigger flies better....if money, transportation, storage, and access to a flying site is not an issue i'd say go as big as you can.

For me money, storage, and transportation are an issue(i guess just money otherwise i could buy new transportation and more storage space ) but i found the biggest plane i can fit in my sedan and went with it.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:33 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,476 Posts
I would do 50cc, but transporting it would be a problem. I'd have to get a camper shell for my z71, which isn't too much, but I'd have to remove it to haul my bikes to the track.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:39 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
If I were you I would search high and low for a used 50cc plane. I scored my 87 for 1100 rtf. Just add batteries, it was electric, but I've seen several gas engine deals in the similar range. 1100-1300 should easily get you a ready to fly 50cc plane. Then you can decide how much you like it, and if not, sell it and not lose much. If you do like it, but want a different airframe then you can always strip the gear and sell the bare airframe of whatever you buy and stuff the gear into something else, and still be cheaper.

Took me a few months to find the deal on the 87, but eventually they turn up. And in the denver area it should be even easier I would think!
thanks, Ryan. And I appreciated your PM on the subject too. I'm looking around for a used 50cc.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:59 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
Jayhawk, I have a 50cc Fiber-Lite Edge RX/R that I would sell for $1100 in Lincoln, NE if you ever make it out this way. It is built up like a carden and fly's awesome, nothing harriers like it out there. here is a video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=890332
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:20 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
thanks, Ryan. And I appreciated your PM on the subject too. I'm looking around for a used 50cc.
Too bad yOu live so far from Ga. I could hook you up
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:30 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
Jayhawk, I have a 50cc Fiber-Lite Edge RX/R that I would sell for $1100 in Lincoln, NE if you ever make it out this way. It is built up like a carden and fly's awesome, nothing harriers like it out there. here is a video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=890332
thanks. I don't think i'll be in NE anytime soon. But if i am, i'll look you up!
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:02 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
If you are looking for a place to post about 3d hobby shop airplanes and get the latest information about.... 3DHS you need look no further.

The vision/thinking for this thread is for it to become a valuable repository of information for those setting up or interested in setting up 3dhs planes. The format for this should be Questions and Answers between users as well as posting experience with such.

There will always be the temptation for users to include off topic posts but we ask members to please keep this thread as clean from that type of post as possible. If you do decide to post what you had for dinner or how hot your wife is, or how cute your dog is etc. you may find other users politely redirecting you to other threads where those posts are welcomed and encouraged. That being said, I don't expect people to refrain from normal social graces such as "please" and "thank you."
Can someone from 3DHS or someone with an actual 104 slick cowl please tell me the width of the cowl?

Or if someone has a DA120 in their 104 slick cowl can you tell me how far the left plug cap(the closest one to the cowl) comes from the cowl? The DA120 is 11 7/8" wide and I can figure out the rest from there.

Thank you.

Frequently off topic thread
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:58 AM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
It seems DLE30's are getting a bad rap lately on this thread, so maybe the factory is having some QC issues. Maybe it was luck of the draw, but I have two 30cc DLE's and one 20cc DLE engine that perform flawlessly. I'm very happy with mine.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:27 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
There is a bit of difference with engine spool up between gas and electric, I run a throttle curve on my electrics to keep the feel closer to a gas plane. That way there is less of a problem when transitioning between the two.
I thought most do it the other way. at least I'm adding expo to the gasser to closer match the electrics since the gasser has all that low end. And I have a lot more electrics. I've got mine set but haven't flown it yet. It'll probably freak me out the first couple times. I remember when I first added expo to the surfaces!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:34 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
for those running 30cc gas, would you have done 50cc if price were not an issue? I sold my 74 electric Edge and am considering either a 30cc gas or a 50cc gas. Still trying to get a feel if it's worth the extra 1500 to 2000 bucks. Seems like the latest 30cc birds are getting really close to 50cc size.
I sold 2 planes to move to a 50cc, built a trailer from a HF trailer to haul it. I was going 50cc no matter what. Bigger does fly better IMO. Especially on days where the wind might be a factor on whether I fly or not. With the 87 it is not a big factor.

Eventually I'll be saying the same thing about 100cc. There are a couple guys at our club that always seem to be trading around 100cc planes in the the $1500-$2000 range RTF, barely flown. I'm gonna be there one day when a deal comes by. Hopefully my wife is not!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:22 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Feb 2010
179 Posts
Agree with bad rap part for DLE 30s. I've run one for over a 1000 flights now and it's been very good for me. I did the mods which took very little time and it's been great. Seeing several around here following suit and showing great success with DLE 30 also!
FlyingFrankie is offline Find More Posts by FlyingFrankie
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:46 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,700 Posts
Just fellow fliers giving their personal opinions. I know people who have decent running DLE"s and people who spent a lot of time trying to make their's run decent.

I've had 5 DLE's, 2 were good runners, the other 3 were pains.
Just personal experience.

I also know people who like to tinker with their engines. (They should buy DLE's)

But, If you prefer to spend your time flying, buy a DA or OS

And especially If you like to fly real low (but don't like fixing your plane all the time). buy a DA or OS.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:28 PM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
811 Posts
+1,000,000 ^^^^^
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:34 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Just fellow fliers giving their personal opinions. I know people who have decent running DLE"s and people who spent a lot of time trying to make their's run decent.

I've had 5 DLE's, 2 were good runners, the other 3 were pains.
Just personal experience.

I also know people who like to tinker with their engines. (They should buy DLE's)

But, If you prefer to spend your time flying, buy a DA or OS

And especially If you like to fly real low (but don't like fixing your plane all the time). buy a DA or OS.
thats not 100% true,sponsorship clouds your mind just alittle bit,i speak from experience,its just what you can afford or what your mind set is,if you have to have the latest and greatest,then have it,if you need what top pilots have then have it,just remember one thing just have fun with it.and spend your money wisely
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:50 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
thats not 100% true,sponsorship clouds your mind just alittle bit,i speak from experience,its just what you can afford or what your mind set is,if you have to have the latest and greatest,then have it,if you need what top pilots have then have it,just remember one thing just have fun with it.and spend your money wisely
I don't let a sponsorship cloud my helping people I call friends. Sorry
Bought everyone of the DLE's I've owned, at the same price everyone one else pays. The first 2 DA's I owned, I paid the same price for them as everyone else does. Was never happy with the DLE 30, picked up a OS GT33 and the thing ran perfect(once you figure out the running backwards issue). That's my personal experience opinion. Some people appreciate me sharing, some don't.

I do let Chocolate milk cloud my mind though.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285