SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:18 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
Dle 30's are notorius for having problems. The bigger gas engines are much better. Don't let that dle 30 form an oppinion of all gassers out there. The 12 min back to back flight times of my big gas planes are great, and with some of the new engines out there, as reliable as electric when tuned correctly.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:33 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
Dle 30's are notorius for having problems. The bigger gas engines are much better. Don't let that dle 30 form an oppinion of all gassers out there. The 12 min back to back flight times of my big gas planes are great, and with some of the new engines out there, as reliable as electric when tuned correctly.
I've been very happy with my DA-60 so far, probably have almost 6 gallons through it. Almost as easy as electric, but way longer flight times.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:35 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
I know the headache of the DLE 30. And I also know that before it was crashed, it ran great. The OS 33 hasn't given me a problem yet. (It's brand new though.)
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:59 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Just wish gas had the same throttle feel as electric. That would sell me. It's a lot harder low and slow to keep it smooth with gas. Much easier with electric.
The dle 35 is a reliable motor. We have had issues with the dle 30. The dle 50, 55 have been rock solid also. Had 2 da60s break but da fixed it and they have ran great since.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:25 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
the os 33 was the closest to electric feel throttle wise out of any of the gassers I have flown. Really nice engine. Either that or Bivens really knows how to tune one
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:58 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Oh man I am going to have to fly one of those.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
There is a bit of difference with engine spool up between gas and electric, I run a throttle curve on my electrics to keep the feel closer to a gas plane. That way there is less of a problem when transitioning between the two.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:47 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,130 Posts
If there are so many issues with the DLE 30CC why does 3DHS recommend this motor to us?? I am just curious. If 3DHS said that the OSGT 33 was recommended then that would be the motor I would have on my Slick.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:01 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
If there are so many issues with the DLE 30CC why does 3DHS recommend this motor to us?? I am just curious. If 3DHS said that the OSGT 33 was recommended then that would be the motor I would have on my Slick.
DLE was the first to make a some what reliable engine in this size.
A side carb DLE30 was a good runner. But many people including me did not like the way the rear carb DLE30's ran or the constant tweeking of them.
Then OS came out with the GT33. And I have recommended it since day 1.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
The DA 35 should be great also
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,642 Posts
for those running 30cc gas, would you have done 50cc if price were not an issue? I sold my 74 electric Edge and am considering either a 30cc gas or a 50cc gas. Still trying to get a feel if it's worth the extra 1500 to 2000 bucks. Seems like the latest 30cc birds are getting really close to 50cc size.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Just wish gas had the same throttle feel as electric. That would sell me. It's a lot harder low and slow to keep it smooth with gas. Much easier with electric.
The dle 35 is a reliable motor. We have had issues with the dle 30. The dle 50, 55 have been rock solid also. Had 2 da60s break but da fixed it and they have ran great since.
i thought the same thing until i started playing with the throttle curve......now i would say my OS 33 is right there with response and fine control comparable to any electric motor i've flown.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:07 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
for those running 30cc gas, would you have done 50cc if price were not an issue? I sold my 74 electric Edge and am considering either a 30cc gas or a 50cc gas. Still trying to get a feel if it's worth the extra 1500 to 2000 bucks. Seems like the latest 30cc birds are getting really close to 50cc size.
If I were you I would search high and low for a used 50cc plane. I scored my 87 for 1100 rtf. Just add batteries, it was electric, but I've seen several gas engine deals in the similar range. 1100-1300 should easily get you a ready to fly 50cc plane. Then you can decide how much you like it, and if not, sell it and not lose much. If you do like it, but want a different airframe then you can always strip the gear and sell the bare airframe of whatever you buy and stuff the gear into something else, and still be cheaper.

Took me a few months to find the deal on the 87, but eventually they turn up. And in the denver area it should be even easier I would think!
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:13 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
I prefer the 30cc size over the 50cc's. Just easier to transport, assemble, easier on the pocket book too ! ...etc...

But I do get what you are saying.. seems the 30's are getting light, so they make em bigger...
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:22 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Flown a bunch of 30 and 50cc. 50cc is where its at to me. If l could afford a 50cc i would own one for sure. The price and convenience of 30cc is why lm there instead