SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
I think the planes are all his. The Short guy in the hanger photo is the Princes RC guy. He does all the building for the Prince. His name is Joseph, believe it or not. They have a big indoor facility that they fly in during the summer because its 125 outside. He also does Helis. Yep said they have 4 flights on it so far. Still tweaking it in he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Yeah, it used to be fun to think what I could do with limitless money. Now I've seen it.
True that!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
I think the planes are all his. The Short guy in the hanger photo is the Princes RC guy. He does all the building for the Prince. His name is Joseph, believe it or not. They have a big indoor facility that they fly in during the summer because its 125 outside. He also does Helis. Yep said they have 4 flights on it so far. Still tweaking it in he said.

Was the prince in the video of the first flight, the guy in civilian clothes or the guy at the end Abdullah?
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,197 Posts
Fried a servo on my 48" epp yak today. The elevator locked full down at the bottom of a blender, the plane hit the ground at the bottom of one of the resulting back flips before I figured out what was going on, much less what to do about it. At the field I guessed the problem was probably the servo extension got unplugged, but that wasn't it. In the shop at home, while I was fussing with it trying to see if something was loose the servo started smoking. This could be a clue.

But I don't know what it means. The servo is an HS-65MG. The plane has 186 flights on it now. Somewhere around 50 flights ago I redid the setup on all the servos to remove all subtrim and to get a little more travel. The elevator has no subtrim, 9 clicks of up trim. I have a KE mix rudder -> elevator which adds a little up elevator on left rudder, but no down elevator. The servo travel adjust for down elevator is at the upper limit - 150% (radio is a DX8). The elevator itself moves freely, the little gizmo on the servo arm that clamps the push rod rotates freely. I'm using the outside hole on both the control horn and the stock long servo arm. I thought all of that was an OK setup. But I'm suspicious that it fried locked full down and the down travel adjust is 150%. Could I have over driven the servo or something? Is 150% just a little too far?

Any suggestions on where I went wrong would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to fry another servo!

(Could have ended much worse - the only damage to the plane is the prop, the top of the rudder, and a little tear in the epp on the nose. Amazing. The funny part is I actually felt pretty good after I realized the elevator was locked - first time I've crashed a plane for a reason other than dumb thumbs!)
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:40 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,362 Posts
Depends, did you check to make sure the servo continues to move as long as you have stick to move?
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Depends, did you check to make sure the servo continues to move as long as you have stick to move?
I'm pretty sure I did. Obviously I was unable to check that after it locked up today though, and it's possible I wasn't careful enough about checking it when I set it up.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,671 Posts
Sounds like the amplifier fried.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,367 Posts
I just lost my 9th hs-65mg, just died on my 42 slick, luckily I caught it in a pre-flight. You should be careful not to push them electronically beyond their physical travel, but that being said, I have just accepted that they don't last forever, especially not in the elevator of an epp 3D plane.

send it back to hi-tec and they will fix/repair
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Sounds like the amplifier fried.
That would be the part that drives the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I just lost my 9th hs-65mg, just died on my 42 slick, luckily I caught it in a pre-flight. You should be careful not to push them electronically beyond their physical travel, but that being said, I have just accepted that they don't last forever, especially not in the elevator of an epp 3D plane.

send it back to hi-tec and they will fix/repair
Hadn't occurred to me hi-tec would fix it. Thanks!

So how did you catch it preflight? Was it not working at all then, or is there some subtler clue I should keep an eye out for?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
That would be the part that drives the motor?

Hadn't occurred to me hi-tec would fix it. Thanks!

So how did you catch it preflight? Was it not working at all then, or is there some subtler clue I should keep an eye out for?
fill in this form at htec and send it in, they have fixed/replace all nine of mine
http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/warr...ice/index.html

I look for the servo starting to jitter, sure sign it is about to go, but this one just stopped working between flights and I caught it during my pre-flight test
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
fill in this form at htec and send it in, they have fixed/replace all nine of mine
http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/warr...ice/index.html

I look for the servo starting to jitter, sure sign it is about to go, but this one just stopped working between flights and I caught it during my pre-flight test
OK, thanks! The servo was apparently working fine for the first few minutes of the flight. I didn't hear it jittering on the ground, but then I may not have checked well enough. For preflight each time all I do is make sure the surfaces are still moving in the right direction. Probably I should do more.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
OK, thanks! The servo was apparently working fine for the first few minutes of the flight. I didn't hear it jittering on the ground, but then I may not have checked well enough. For preflight each time all I do is make sure the surfaces are still moving in the right direction. Probably I should do more.
that is all I do
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
So whats the current favorite prop for you DA60 guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
Haven't used a Vess carbon on the 55 yet, but I LOVE my Stealth 28b on my DA120!
18.5x6W falcon on my GT33
24x9 falcon on the DA60
29x9 falcon on two 120's
30x12 falcon on 170

Every size falcon I've tried has outperformed anything I have had on any of those engines in the past, including several Vess wood, carbon, and Mej carbon props. I'm a falcon fan now for sure....high performance, similar cost, better balance from the factory, not too loud (well, not as quiet as mej, but quieter than vess..)...I really like em.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
18.5x6W falcon on my GT33
24x9 falcon on the DA60
29x9 falcon on two 120's
30x12 falcon on 170

Every size falcon I've tried has outperformed anything I have had on any of those engines in the past, including several Vess wood, carbon, and Mej carbon props. I'm a falcon fan now for sure....high performance, similar cost, better balance from the factory, not too loud (well, not as quiet as mej, but quieter than vess..)...I really like em.
I've got a Falcon 28x9 coming my way!!!
diggity2424 is online now Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:32 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Was the prince in the video of the first flight, the guy in civilian clothes or the guy at the end Abdullah?
The Prince.
You know the other guys.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:53 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
You know the prince and I are about the same age. Actually just checked, he's a little younger. He was born in the right family. What a lucky guy. Ha ha.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie