Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:17 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Reading about the DLE30 makes me sad...

I've been there....well, without the dying...but mine would lag on hard G pulls...never died...but I never figured it out....It hurt my feelings paying $420 for the OS...but I really like the way it runs...from flight one. I wish I could help diagnose it, but I thing the guys on the metering spring topic may be heading the right way.....

And I also saw something about using hitec85's in 48" planes. Properly setup and on 6+ volts...hitec 65mg's are great on 48's.
85's was me... I was mistaken.. Had some in a tail and thought they were throughout! My bad, haven't flown 48's in a hot minute!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,091 Posts
meee Toooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Reading about the DLE30 makes me sad...

I've been there....well, without the dying...but mine would lag on hard G pulls...never died...but I never figured it out....It hurt my feelings paying $420 for the OS...but I really like the way it runs...from flight one. I wish I could help diagnose it, but I thing the guys on the metering spring topic may be heading the right way.....

And I also saw something about using hitec85's in 48" planes. Properly setup and on 6+ volts...hitec 65mg's are great on 48's.
I am yet to figure it out. I pulled the metering spring out and stretched it. Put it back in and it is still doing the same thing. Sooo for now the 71 Slick is sitting in the rafters! I am just so frusterated with it I decided to put it away for a bit. The only other thing that I can try is to eliminate the kill switch to see what happens.
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:03 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,177 Posts
Any Fanatics looking for a deal on a Omega 130g motor? This was all bought the end of Sept and only has 128 flights on it. The motor never was crashed and in fact never had a broken prop with it. I am moving up in size.

Omega 130g motor, Extreme Flight Airboss 45A ESC, and 4 Falcon props (2 used and 2 new in the packaging 2 ea. 13x6.5 and 14x7)

New $205 will sell shipped in the conus $110
Goes to the first
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:43 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
My DLE-30 isn't perfect, but I still have a LOT of fun with it. I recently modified the metering diaphram vent to see if it will affect the bogging down in high g's. Have not flown it yet. Link to pictures on FG:

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...postcount=5792

Since I can't afford a OS motor I just work with what I got. And like I said, I'm having tons of fun with it. Everyone at the local field always asks what motor I have in the 72 after seeing it fly. The power is impressive.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:14 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Knock on wood, I've got two great running DLE30's.

I have a question for you guys, I have a DLE20 mounted on one of my airplanes and it runs good, but I'm having problems with the choke rod moving when it gets in the air (prop wash?) and it then bogs the motor down to no power, where I have to land it immediately. I've repeated it on the ground by moving the choke to on while it was running. The DLE30's seem to have a click when it goes from off choke to on, but the DLE20 is smooth. I've got some tension on the rod out the front of the cowling using tie straps but it still moves very easily. Any ideas on how to mount the rod where I can secure it when the choke is off to keep it from moving backwards? The arm is peened on from the factory so I can't remove it and reverse it like you can with the throttle arm. DG
gregory.da is online now Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:55 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Knock on wood, I've got two great running DLE30's.

I have a question for you guys, I have a DLE20 mounted on one of my airplanes and it runs good, but I'm having problems with the choke rod moving when it gets in the air (prop wash?) and it then bogs the motor down to no power, where I have to land it immediately. I've repeated it on the ground by moving the choke to on while it was running. The DLE30's seem to have a click when it goes from off choke to on, but the DLE20 is smooth. I've got some tension on the rod out the front of the cowling using tie straps but it still moves very easily. Any ideas on how to mount the rod where I can secure it when the choke is off to keep it from moving backwards? The arm is peened on from the factory so I can't remove it and reverse it like you can with the throttle arm. DG
Could you rig up a spring on it to hold it open? The trick there would be getting the tension just right, where it wouldn't close itself, but still not blow back. Or find a way to mount a ball link on the choke rod, and mount the ball where you could snap it together after you turn the choke off.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:00 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,959 Posts
maybe put a servo on it gregory.da... program it to on or off on a switch. Sux to add a servo just for that though.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:16 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Good ideas, I would hate to have to add another servo, but will it I can't find another solution. Maybe a 9g micro servo would be enough torque to move it to keep the weight down. The problem with mounting something inside the cowling is that the muffler is along side the beam mount, and I would not be able to reach inside far enough. Unless I can do something on the front of the cowling it probably won't work. I'll have to think about the spring option or maybe a bellcrank and bring the rod backward somewhere where it can be held in place.
gregory.da is online now Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
I have a Gens ace 4000 4S that has always been great and balances perfect but yesterday I had it out in my 59" slick and it would bog down after about 30 secs on WOT. I landed and reproduced it on the ground. my 3 other packs were fine so it wasnt the ESC or anything. I checked the cell voltage and it was still charged to 4.15v/cell after the short flight. Any ideas?
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:23 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,959 Posts
What kind of connectors are you using? Could you possibly have a bad solder joint that is acting up? The only other thing I have seen is one cell has gone bad. Sometimes they will hold a good voltage until you put a load on it.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
I'm using deans. It seems to have full voltage and is sagging under load, but only after about 20 secs of WOT. What is weird is that all the cells came down the same voltage , I have seen this issue on those nanotecs but one cell would be off voltage by quite a bit.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:44 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,959 Posts
Try re-soldering your deans connector.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
Ok ill try that, thanks
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
I have a Gens ace 4000 4S that has always been great and balances perfect but yesterday I had it out in my 59" slick and it would bog down after about 30 secs on WOT. I landed and reproduced it on the ground. my 3 other packs were fine so it wasnt the ESC or anything. I checked the cell voltage and it was still charged to 4.15v/cell after the short flight. Any ideas?
welcome to the club...that's a gens ace going bye-bye. Everything looks good but if you can test the IR, it'll show the bad cell. All of mine have gone this way. And i treat them nice!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,453 Posts
Hmmmmm...seems that I'm seeing more an more comments of this nature about Gens Ace packs. I know all four of my 1800mAH packs puffed, and one of them was a replacement for one that had dropped a cell. I don't have any larger ones, but I don't think I'm going to buy any either.... I wonder how the new Glacier packs are going to hold up over time??

Just as a matter of mentioning...Aero-Model (the Hacker folks) now have packs that they are selling under their own brand name. They aren't as cheap as Gens Ace, etc. but also not as expensive as Thunder Power.... And though I don't know it for sure, I kind of think they might be made by Thunder Power as they sure seem to have the same sizes.

Aero Model Silver series 30C

Aero Model Gold series 65C

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...