HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
If it did the same thing with two different carbs then it's not the spring.

(Although I will say that the metering side of the carb was the first thing I thought of when I watched the video.)

I would check the throttle servo and linkage, beleive it or not. Make sure it has zero slop, is not binding, and is not trying to drive the throttle butterfly to far. Make sure there are not any goofy settings in your radio programing (not likely, but worth checking).

What RPM are you idling at when it dies? A good idle on the DLE30 is in the neighborhood of 1700-2000 rpm IMHO. If your trying idle lower than that your might just be asking for trouble.

Your brave to hold the plane like that when it's running! I guess desperate times call for desperate measures huh.

Could be a batch of bad or weak springs installed in the carbs, I would not rule it out based on being new.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:23 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Ok I am out of options!!! Here is a video of my DLE 30CC With a Brand New Carb and with the Bowman Ring & Reeds done. Does anyone have any ideas or opions on what I should do at this point. Please let me know.( A quick briefing before watching video. My Motor shuts off only at low RPM)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fIsd-ZI5U
I chased a phantom problem around on two DLE 30's. I eventually have up and bought a GT33. The way it dies after you hold it inverted for a while leads me to believe your clunk isn't swinging freely, thus when inverted, the fuel sloshes to the bottom, but the clunk stays at the top. But, I don't know much about airplane engines. Quads' and dirtbikes' engines don't have to run inverted..... (well, mine have on occasion....)

EDIT: If you can't find a local parts supplier for it, check out your local Stihl dealer. They run Walbro carbs, and my local dealer had a whole box full of parts for them.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:27 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
I don't think it's a clunk problem... that would have a delayed effect because of all the fuel in the line. You are out of the fuel every time you do a downline and you have seen how long those sometimes last without a deadstick...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:34 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
4,001 Posts
Good point. But in a downline, the prop has air rushing over it to help keep the engine spinning until it starts picking up fuel again. Im just throwing possibilities out there, be they right or wrong.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:35 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
well keep them coming... meanwhile I want to hear about any new updates
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Could be a batch of bad or weak springs installed in the carbs, I would not rule it out based on being new.

Agreed.....I dont think DLE has very good quailty control on these little metering lever springs.... I bet a trip to a small engine repair shop could put you in touch with the right spring (doesnt matter if its used as long as its walbro)

the spring on the ebay ad looks kind of big.... the one you need is very small and definitely not painted.

if you like i can check and see if my friend has another spring.... i would be happy to get it and send it to you to try.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
[QUOTE=quadracer;23433834]I chased a phantom problem around on two DLE 30's. I eventually have up and bought a GT33. QUOTE]

LOL i already had a new GT33 on the way when i changed the metering lever spring out and the DLE started running correctly (murphy's law)....... I'm still running that DLE on my beater slick and its still running great! ( albeit not as strong as the OS but still running dependably.)
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
721 Posts
I just smashed my 48 SV and I need a new airframe. I'm running on 4s 2200s, 770kv, and a 14x7 prop. I have two HS65s and two HS 82s for servos. I'm looking to do 3D exclusively and I'm pretty new at it. What should I get?
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
48" edge
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,173 Posts
And get rid of those darn HS-82's they have NO bearings, and will get really sloppy due to the shaft wearing on the case, which is used as the bearing....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,606 Posts
For 3d I would get new servos. 85mg's are much better for 48" 3d birds. 65's are ok on the 41-42...
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:22 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
For 3d I would get new servos. 85mg's are much better for 48" 3d birds. 65's are ok on the 41-42...
No, hs-85 is way to heavy for a 48'' plane. Use savox SH-0255mg digital for $32 and run 6.0 volts to them. same size and weight as the hs 65 with 54 ounces/inch of torque.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
721 Posts
These servos were working fine in the vyper and I'm going to put them in whatever I end up buying. I'll replace the 82s when they get sloppy. Any other air frame suggestions? I was looking at the EF edge too but they are out of stock.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:15 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
No, hs-85 is way to heavy for a 48'' plane. Use savox SH-0255mg digital for $32 and run 6.0 volts to them. same size and weight as the hs 65 with 54 ounces/inch of torque.
That does sound better... It's been a while since i've flown the 48's... I think I may have only had an 85 in the tail..
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
721 Posts
Just ordered the 3dhs 48 edge in blue. This is my third 3dhs plane in a couple months. I think I have a problem.