SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,125 Posts
Ok I am out of options!!! Here is a video of my DLE 30CC With a Brand New Carb and with the Bowman Ring & Reeds done. Does anyone have any ideas or opions on what I should do at this point. Please let me know.( A quick briefing before watching video. My Motor shuts off only at low RPM)
DLE 30 CC motor die (1 min 15 sec)
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:17 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Ok I am out of options!!! Here is a video of my DLE 30CC With a Brand New Carb and with the Bowman Ring & Reeds done. Does anyone have any ideas or opions on what I should do at this point. Please let me know.( A quick briefing before watching video. My Motor shuts off only at low RPM)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fIsd-ZI5U

...does it do that in the air?... played with the low end needle?...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
set a high idle switch and rich the low end a touch.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,125 Posts
Yes it does do it in the air also. I do have a high idle but doing this does not sit well with me. I have played with my H/L for many hrs to try to get this problem corrected.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Have the asked the factory what they think is causing this?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
DLE dying.

mine did the exact same thing....was a helluva time tracking the problem down....seems the metering lever spring was too weak to hold against the fuel pressure when the plane was inverted and allowed the fuel chamber to overfill..... flip the plane rightside up and it would cut off (turns out it was flooding)

when its idling high its drawing the excess fuel from the chamber.

Is the engine hard to restart after it cuts off like that?

I finally replaced the metering lever spring with genuine walbro spring and now mine is all good..

I never could find a place to buy a new walbro metering lever spring but luckily one of the guys in our club had a bagfull of junk walbro carbs and one of them still had the spring which he gave me.

I know its aggrevating but hang in there... at least you can duplicate the problem on the ground!
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Dec 02, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
mine did the exact same thing....was a helluva time tracking the problem down....seems the metering lever spring was too weak to hold against the fuel pressure when the plane was inverted and allowed the fuel chamber to overfill..... flip the plane rightside up and it would cut off (turns out it was flooding)

when its idling high its drawing the excess fuel from the chamber.

Is the engine hard to restart after it cuts off like that?

I finally replaced the metering lever spring with genuine walbro spring and now mine is all good..

I never could find a place to buy a new walbro metering lever spring but luckily one of the guys in our club had a bagfull of junk walbro carbs and one of them still had the spring which he gave me.

I know its aggrevating but hang in there... at least you can duplicate the problem on the ground!
That sounds exactly like my PROBLEM! I am not really good with Engines. This is my first one. My engine is hard to start after it dies because of this!! Is the Lever spring in the Carb? The reason I ask is because I just replaced my carb and it is still doing it. I really appreciate everyones time on trying to help me with this. With this being my first Engine it is very frusterating and makes me wish I would have went electric.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:31 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
You still have the old carb off the motor right?

How about taking it to a mower repair place and asking if the mechanic could replace the spring?

I bet they have seen a few walbro's in their time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metering-lev...-/380184459459
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,125 Posts
So the Ebay post that you put on here for me. Is that the spring that I wold need??? Thanks for all hour help! It is worth a shot.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
So the Ebay post that you put on here for me. Is that the spring that I wold need??? Thanks for all hour help! It is worth a shot.
What model of carb and where are the L/H needles set right now?
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:07 AM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
What model of carb and where are the L/H needles set right now?

I'd be super suprised if it's and adjustment with the needles, myself and a guy with a lot of years of expierience at our flying field have tried tuning the engine for Kieth and it does the same thing every time.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:00 AM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Jan 2009
108 Posts
Sorry to change the subject for a second, and it is great to see all the help with the DLE, but

BIGFOOT? Have not heard a word on this plane for quite some time.

The 3DHS site does not have Got ETA anymore, what happened? Is is like squatching? Some believe but the evidence is just not all that good...
420flier is offline Find More Posts by 420flier
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,256 Posts
Noll mentions it in the podcast:

The 3DHS Podcast #1 - A New 50cc Prototype

Direct Download:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/3dhobbysho..._Prototype.mp3

You can also find and subscribe to the show via itunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...st/id578740936

...or you can subscribe directly via the RSS feed:
http://3dhobbyshop.libsyn.com/rss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420flier View Post
Sorry to change the subject for a second, and it is great to see all the help with the DLE, but

BIGFOOT? Have not heard a word on this plane for quite some time.

The 3DHS site does not have Got ETA anymore, what happened? Is is like squatching? Some believe but the evidence is just not all that good...
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Jan 2009
108 Posts
Thanks for the links!!!
420flier is offline Find More Posts by 420flier
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:20 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
If it did the same thing with two different carbs then it's not the spring.

(Although I will say that the metering side of the carb was the first thing I thought of when I watched the video.)

I would check the throttle servo and linkage, beleive it or not. Make sure it has zero slop, is not binding, and is not trying to drive the throttle butterfly to far. Make sure there are not any goofy settings in your radio programing (not likely, but worth checking).

What RPM are you idling at when it dies? A good idle on the DLE30 is in the neighborhood of 1700-2000 rpm IMHO. If your trying idle lower than that your might just be asking for trouble.

Your brave to hold the plane like that when it's running! I guess desperate times call for desperate measures huh.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie