HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:02 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Another servo question...If you can run hs 7955TGs on 7.4v would that give it about the same specs as the 7954SH?

Is there a reason to choose one over the other? I'm probably going to go with hs 7955s but was just wondering, is the only difference titanium gears vs steel gears?
What are you grabbing 7955's for? I just grabbed 4 for $80 each on Black Friday for my 89" slick that i don't have! seems the crowd loves them on the big birds,'with a 5665 on throttle...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:23 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
Yep that is a perfect set up. There are much better servos out there but for the money, the Hitecs are great, reliable, strong and fast. The titanium gears last much longer than the steel gears which will save you money in the long run. I have replaced the gears in all my 7954's after about 2 years. At $30 a pop, its rather spendy.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:22 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
What are you grabbing 7955's for? I just grabbed 4 for $80 each on Black Friday for my 89" slick that i don't have! seems the crowd loves them on the big birds,'with a 5665 on throttle...
you'll need 5, fyi.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
you'll need 5, fyi.
What!?!?!

Lol- they only had 4 left at the $80 price!

Good catch though, that would have been a bad day if I found out I needed 5 at the time of the build!

But, when I was budgeting I did completely forget about the throttle servo. All this electric flying!! It's weird, when I started, electric wasn't around, so I knew all about gas tanks and clunks and carbs, but knew nothing about an esc, brushless, what C meant, and deans connectors.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:25 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,168 Posts
no - the throttle will be a 6th servo. You have two elevator servos in the 50cc class. So two elevator, two ailerons, one rudder, one throttle, and if you desire, another for a choke servo.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
I think he gets it.

chief and troy built both sell the 7955s for about $85 if you buy four, iirc.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
I think he gets it.

chief and troy built both sell the 7955s for about $85 if you buy four, iirc.
Thank you- tb was sold out, but looks like chief has some for 90... Only need 1!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:43 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
7954 has a coreless motor. Does the 7955? If it does then I have to wonder why the 7954 even exists as the prices are near identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
So it's pretty much titanium or steel than.
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
7954 has a coreless motor. Does the 7955? If it does then I have to wonder why the 7954 even exists as the prices are near identical.
Yeah they're both coreless...
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
My 70" slick is really nose heavy. I am at the point of needing to add weight to the tail I think. I was thinking about adding a second elevator servo. Will 2 oz in the tail of a 10.5 pound plane change things very much?
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:36 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
yes it will, rcbirk dropped the physics somewhere but I don't know it off the top of my head.

you might try a dubro tailwheel with aluminum hub. a small amount weight that far from cg can help quite a bit
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:49 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Quote:
yes it will, rcbirk dropped the physics somewhere but I don't know it off the top of my head.

you might try a dubro tailwheel with aluminum hub. a small amount weight that far from cg can help quite a bit
Thanks! My nose-heaviness is pretty bad... I think I'll try the servo... I have one on-hand that I can try. I'll probably start out just taping it on the outside for a test flight to see how it changes things. At least another servo will be adding redundancy in case one of the servos fails.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
not sure if this actually backs up my statement, but since I took the excruciating six minutes to find it on my phone:

cg physics
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Quote:
not sure if this actually backs up my statement, but since I took the excruciating six minutes to find it on my phone:

cg physics
It makes pretty good sense to me I like it when I can see how to evaluate the effects based on math. It makes everything make a lot more sense... even if the numbers are estimates Hope that makes your excruciating search worthwhile
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:10 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
My 70" slick is really nose heavy. I am at the point of needing to add weight to the tail I think. I was thinking about adding a second elevator servo. Will 2 oz in the tail of a 10.5 pound plane change things very much?
Gas or electric? My 70 had the rudder servo in the tail and balanced nicely with the DLE30.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer