HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:42 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Next question... anyone know how to pick a spray paint that will match the pearl blue ultracote?

The ultracote color is: HANU845

I am going to try painting my new canopy if I can find the right color.
brathanke,

I've struggled with this problem in the past and the best I could do was head to Pep Boys and look at the automotive touch up paints. It was quite awhile ago so I can't remember which color it was but take the covering and the cowling to the store for matching to the can tops. I did find a color that was close but remember these colors should be clear coated after the color is applied and that will change the tone slightly. Also, if you find the right color spray the canopy with automotive light gray primer first. The base coat is important to the finish above.

Automotive paints are usually lacquers and they will run easily. Build up coats slowly and as soon as the paint finish looks shiney stop. Then repeat the process with clear.

These paints need to be applied outside where the smell isn't a problem and they don't like the cold either.

All that said, 3DHS is still listing that canopy as an available spare part. Unless you are dying to try the painting process as a good modeler then I would just buy one.

RCMC
RCMC is offline Find More Posts by RCMC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:57 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,087 Posts
Hey guys i was looking to get some hs-7955 servos and chief aircraft says, "Approved for use with High Voltage A123 6.6V & Li-Ion/Poly 7.4V batteries without Regulator" but i don't see that listed anywhere else and there are no specs listed for 7.4V usage. Is it OK to run these servos at 7.4V?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
657 Posts
Yes 7955's are just fine on un regulated lipo. Many people run them like that, although I dont think that they are "approved" by hitec for unregulated.
nebwake is online now Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
4,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Hey guys i was looking to get some hs-7955 servos and chief aircraft says, "Approved for use with High Voltage A123 6.6V & Li-Ion/Poly 7.4V batteries without Regulator" but i don't see that listed anywhere else and there are no specs listed for 7.4V usage. Is it OK to run these servos at 7.4V?
I would not trust a second party ad on the voltage spec when everyplace else says 4.8 and 6.0v including Hitecs web site. Call Hitec to be sure.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
499 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if this means they are "approved" for 7.4V but the servos are being used at that voltage.

"HS-20100520 HS-79XX Series Servo - Minimal Load Jitter

Applies to HS-7965/7985/7955/7954/7940/7950 servos

Customers have noticed that these high resolution servos have a tendency to jitter when using 7.4 volt power packs and a minimal load is applied. This is due to the high resolution circuit adjusting for slight position variances in the gear teeth. This usually only occurs with minimal loads, for example, when the plane is on the ground in a static position. Once airborne the servo experiences flying loads and the issue resolves itself and should not impact on the flying experience."

Link to the Hitec Service Bulletin page:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/serv...ins/index.html
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Quote:
FYI: Troybuildmodels.com has 7955's for $80, for there Black Friday sale. I think it ends this weekend.
diggity2424 is online now Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:27 AM
Team 3DHS
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
Yes 7955's are just fine on un regulated lipo. Many people run them like that, although I dont think that they are "approved" by hitec for unregulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
I would not trust a second party ad on the voltage spec when everyplace else says 4.8 and 6.0v including Hitecs web site. Call Hitec to be sure.
I love my Hitec 7955's on straight 2s lipo. Hundreds of flights, about 25 servos, no troubles. They work great on 2s lipo. My preferred servo for 30cc and up.......

(until I found the gold-plated Futaba BLS157's and 172's...now it'll be hard to rig another plane with 7955's....I can't wait for Hitec's brushless series....someday...)
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:52 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
4,860 Posts
So why does Hitec not list them for use at more than 6V? I guess I am just cautious.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,540 Posts
Quote:
Next question... anyone know how to pick a spray paint that will match the pearl blue ultracote?

It depends on how bad you want to do it. I went to a shop that paints cars and had them mix up some metallic paint for me and I sprayed it with my airbrush. It turned out pretty well but it probably cost me $60 or so. Can't remember the price. I took my cowl and they matched the paint. The pearl blue being metallic is hard to spray and depending on how picky you are, you will have to do several test pieces first. The way that the flakes stand up or lay down affect the final look. The flow rate and thickness per pass, pressures, etc. affect how the flakes lay down.

I think I still have the leftover paint if you want me to see what it was....
It was a 3 part mix with base, curing agent, and solvent that you have to mix together.

Craig
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,540 Posts
HS 7955's are not officially approved for HV use. They are not marketed that way either but several years ago Hitec reps on the net started confirming that they work just fine on unregulated 2S lipo voltages.

many people run them that way with no problems. I don't know why they haven't started marketing them as HV servos and jacked up the price
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
So why does Hitec not list them for use at more than 6V? I guess I am just cautious.
They have the same internals as their HV servos.

Shawn Spiker himself talks all about it with us on episode #195 of ATTF. (July 2011)

Skip to ~1:11:45 to hear specifically about the 7955 and HV servos:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/insideheli...ltiplexUSA.mp3
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
It depends on how bad you want to do it. I went to a shop that paints cars and had them mix up some metallic paint for me and I sprayed it with my airbrush. It turned out pretty well but it probably cost me $60 or so. Can't remember the price. I took my cowl and they matched the paint. The pearl blue being metallic is hard to spray and depending on how picky you are, you will have to do several test pieces first. The way that the flakes stand up or lay down affect the final look. The flow rate and thickness per pass, pressures, etc. affect how the flakes lay down.

I think I still have the leftover paint if you want me to see what it was....
It was a 3 part mix with base, curing agent, and solvent that you have to mix together.

Craig
The paint I used was PPG Concept DCC single stage paint and they tinted it.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,252 Posts
Quote:

If you are feeling very adventerous, you can cover the canopy. I did that on a plane that I re-schemed. Was having an impossible time trying to find a match for the apple green ultra cote, so I had a couple coats of paint on the canopy, but a very low temp on my iron and was able to get the covering to stick to the canopy.
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Yup, hs7955 are very happy on straight 2. All 3 king 50 planes and my XFC planes all had 7955 with straight 2s. No reason to worry about them, it's been a proven setup for quite a few years now.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:17 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMC View Post
brathanke,

I've struggled with this problem in the past and the best I could do was head to Pep Boys and look at the automotive touch up paints. It was quite awhile ago so I can't remember which color it was but take the covering and the cowling to the store for matching to the can tops. I did find a color that was close but remember these colors should be clear coated after the color is applied and that will change the tone slightly. Also, if you find the right color spray the canopy with automotive light gray primer first. The base coat is important to the finish above.

Automotive paints are usually lacquers and they will run easily. Build up coats slowly and as soon as the paint finish looks shiney stop. Then repeat the process with clear.

These paints need to be applied outside where the smell isn't a problem and they don't like the cold either.

All that said, 3DHS is still listing that canopy as an available spare part. Unless you are dying to try the painting process as a good modeler then I would just buy one.

RCMC
Thanks for the response... I did order a new canopy but they are out of the fantasy blue. In fact I'm pretty sure the one I just destroyed was the last one they had in stock when I bought it So I am trying to find a way to incorporate a red canopy into the FB scheme. I actually have little desire to paint it other than that I would like it to match the rest of the plane.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater