HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:02 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
....AJ, Joe, Wamsy, Bivens, Ben, Scott and company where are you? Arron has already given expert commentary.
I like both Extras and slicks. I've owned more extras. I love and miss my old 104...will build another. I think it's time to build an 89 when they come back into stock....never had one...need to try it for myself. I've had 47,48,57,87,103,119 extras...missing the 72. I've had the 59,70,104 slicks.

My favorites are the 103 and 104....I feel very comfy with both...and will gladly own and fly both as much as possible...without caring which is an extra or a slick.

Quote:
I like to see the best pilots in action live. Where is the field thirty minutes away where Wamsy flies? When I spoke with him at the 2012 TN Huckfest he mentioned that he was away at college.
See you at Cane Ridge Giant Scale this coming Saturday in Nashville? Wamsy should be able to work out the bugs on his new toy....
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,460 Posts
See ya at Cane Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I like both Extras and slicks. I've owned more extras. I love and miss my old 104...will build another. I think it's time to build an 89 when they come back into stock....never had one...need to try it for myself. I've had 47,48,57,87,103,119 extras...missing the 72. I've had the 59,70,104 slicks.

My favorites are the 103 and 104....I feel very comfy with both...and will gladly own and fly both as much as possible...without caring which is an extra or a slick.

See you at Cane Ridge Giant Scale this coming Saturday in Nashville? Wamsy should be able to work out the bugs on his new toy....
Mike,

Thanks for weighing in!

See you at Cane Ridge!

Did you sell the Vyper yet?
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:17 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,192 Posts
No...should I bring it for you?
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
No...should I bring it for you?
Well, I like the orange or yellow schemes.

Also, I'm looking at the 70" size planes and the 48" SV.
Last edited by Trill; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,460 Posts
Fly low!

Shipping notice says to expect delivery of the 48" SV by the end of the day on 19 Oct 2012!

Can anyone compare the flight envelope of the 48" Super Vyper (specifically the precision) to the other 3DHS 40" planes and the 57" Extra 330SC and the 59" Slick? I'm eager to get some precision and extreme aerobatics practice without having to load everything up and drive the average of thirty miles to one of the flying fields that has charging stations for electrics. Depending on what I can do with the 48" SV, the 65" Vyper is likely next on the list of acquisitions.

With cooler weather coming on its easy for me to take a park flyer sized plane to the
school field one mile from my house rather than drive all the way to one of the flying fields. But I've also enjoyed flying the 57" 330SC and the 59" Slick at the school field. After all, one of the reasons I chose to learn 3D was to fly low in tight spaces!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
2M Osiris.....

Give me sumthin
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,933 Posts
Quote:
Shipping notice says to expect delivery of the 48" SV by the end of the day on 19 Oct 2012!

Can anyone compare the flight envelope of the 48" Super Vyper (specifically the precision) to the other 3DHS 40" planes and the 57" Extra 330SC and the 59" Slick? I'm eager to get some precision and extreme aerobatics practice without having to load everything up and drive the average of thirty miles to one of the flying fields that has charging stations for electrics. Depending on what I can do with the 48" SV, the 65" Vyper is likely next on the list of acquisitions.

With cooler weather coming on its easy for me to take a park flyer sized plane to the
school field one mile from my house rather than drive all the way to one of the flying fields. But I've also enjoyed flying the 57" 330SC and the 59" Slick at the school field. After all, one of the reasons I chose to learn 3D was to fly low in tight spaces!
48" Vyper flies better precision than any other four foot 3D'able plane, period. 3D's pretty darn well too, but when speed it has no equal... and that said, the 65 Vyper is even more locked in on its trajectory...

But if you mostly care about precision, Osiris wont be beat for either size for pattern flying. pure pwnage.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Last edited by theKM; Oct 18, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,460 Posts
No perfect RC airplane-Oh, well,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
48" Vyper flies better precision than any other four foot 3D'able plane, period. 3D's pretty darn well too, but when speed it has no equal... and that said, the 65 Vyper is even more locked in on its trajectory.
Well, what I was looking for is a plane that does both 3D and precision at the 95%+ level. But after talking to my former pattern contest judge flying buddy, I believe no such plane exists. Or at least no such plane currently exists on planet earth. Keep in mind that flying saucers do spectacular 3D with great precision at high speed!

With the equipment we have available, what is the optimum 4S setup for 3D and precision practice with the 48" SV? I have a number of four foot plane components already on hand.

I plan to use a Torque 2814-820 with an Airboss 45 Amp ESC with the HS 85MG servo for the rudder mounted in the tail. With this setup what is the best 4S size battery? 4S 2200mAH? 4S 2500mAH? 30C and above batteries?

Perhaps an 11x7 prop will help for the pattern side and a 13x5 or 13x6 prop will help for the 3D side? I could install a 55 Amp or 60 Amp ESC. Light weight or custom made servo extensions would help reduce weight as would leaving off the wheel pants and spinner. All modifications and tips to improve the flight envelope for both 3D and precision are welcomed.

I have already been advised to make sure the elevator has at least 50 degrees of throw. What other advice can I impement to help the 48" SV fly at or above the 85% level for both 3D and pattern/precision mode? I believe an increase in 3D performance could decrease pattern/precision performance and vice versa.

Finally, fly low and high!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 18, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:54 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,933 Posts
Quote:
Well, what I was looking for is a plane that does both 3D and precision at the 95%+ level. But after talking to my former pattern contest judge flying buddy, I believe no such plane exists. Or at least no such plane currently exists on planet earth.
ArronSEFF01.wmv (7 min 24 sec)

3DHS 65 Vyper at Stacks On Akron (3 min 36 sec)

I don't think your pattern judge buddy has flown a 65 Vyper that's been set up for a precision preference

...I used to fly pattern competition, and has been a goal to get to another contest with a 65 Vyper, maybe I can get the chance in 2013. The plane sure carves a nicer line than any of the patternships I used to fly though. I'm actually thinking of selling my yet-to-be-flown Osiris as my Vyper gives me all the precision love I need and to use the funds for other projects...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,933 Posts
Quote:
With the equipment we have available, what is the optimum 4S setup for 3D and precision practice with the 48" SV? I have a number of four foot plane components already on hand.

I plan to use a Torque 2814-820 with an Airboss 45 Amp ESC with the HS 85MG servo for the rudder mounted in the tail. With this setup what is the best 4S size battery? 4S 2200mAH? 4S 2500mAH? 30C and above batteries?
we usually use 130g Omegas, 12x6 props on 4S... use whatever 4S prop goes with your motor, unsure about the prop for that motor off the top of my head. is about the right weight.

my preference would be 4S 2200's... but plane can take 4S 2600's pretty well, weight helps tracking, but you'll feel it when you slow it down for 3D.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:23 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,115 Posts
vyper rocks to the max.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
vyper rocks to the max.
Was that one yours that was stuck in a bush at Hodges?
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:42 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
Was that one yours that was stuck in a bush at Hodges?
hmmm my old 70 slick (what was left of it after I gave it to Powerlines was in a bush there)
What color was the vyper?MY 65 was not in a bush.my green 48 might have been tho lol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,460 Posts
48" Super Vyper videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujpMG3k6yI

https://vimeo.com/16824464

I don't think your pattern judge buddy has flown a 65 Vyper that's been set up for a precision preference

...I used to fly pattern competition, and has been a goal to get to another contest with a 65 Vyper, maybe I can get the chance in 2013. The plane sure carves a nicer line than any of the patternships I used to fly though. I'm actually thinking of selling my yet-to-be-flown Osiris as my Vyper gives me all the precision love I need and to use the funds for other projects...
Fine videos but I don't have a 65" Vyper yet!

My 48" Super Vyper is scheduled to arrive on 19 Oct 2012. Where are the videos of the 48" Super Vyper?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Dad, why isn't yours that big?
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,817 Posts
Did you watch the two videos on this page?
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot