HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Easy to hover

Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
Can one 70 size plane really be easier to hover than another 70 sized plane?
Hmmm! For theKM, Joe Smith, AJ, Daniel Holman, and those types probably not! They could hover any decently setup plane just like you and I breathe. But I need all the help I can get from the airframe.

We should ask the people in the list above.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
I believe one 7x" plane can definitely be easier to hover. I used to always need more rudder in my hovers. I learned on a profile plane and they have so much overall tail authority, both rudder and elevator that you could be quite sloppy in hovers and still bring the nose back up. When I first started flying 3dhs planes I found I was always late in getting the nose back to vertical. Never had enough tail authority. I always found the Slick to also be easier because it had more rudder authority. I find the Velox the easiest of all of them because it seems to have more elevator and rudder authority than all 3. The Edge was pretty easy too. I've gotten better at hovering now and learned to catch the nose quicker when it falls off vertical. But definitely for the Velox was easiest, Slick next, and the Extra was very close behind the Slick.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I believe one 7x" plane can definitely be easier to hover. I used to always need more rudder in my hovers. I learned on a profile plane and they have so much overall tail authority, both rudder and elevator that you could be quite sloppy in hovers and still bring the nose back up. When I first started flying 3dhs planes I found I was always late in getting the nose back to vertical. Never had enough tail authority. I always found the Slick to also be easier because it had more rudder authority. I find the Velox the easiest of all of them because it seems to have more elevator and rudder authority than all 3. The Edge was pretty easy too. I've gotten better at hovering now and learned to catch the nose quicker when it falls off vertical. But definitely for the Velox was easiest, Slick next, and the Extra was very close behind the Slick.
Do you fly the velox on gas or electric?
GNFSolutions - Gyro is offline Find More Posts by GNFSolutions - Gyro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
Can one 70 size plane really be easier to hover than another 70 sized plane?
Yeah....for sure..

Wamsy has 70's that hover better than mine....

Joe does too...

Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Electric on my Velox, everything I have is electric currently. My 72 was, 70/71 Slicks have both been, my 74 Edge was.
I may get a gas plane someday again, if I do it might be the EF 78" MXS when it finally comes out. Don't really wanna do 10s electric like the recommended setup.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,342 Posts
You fanatics that are flying DA Engines do you leave on the PowerPoll connectors on the ignition or switch them out? I just replaced my ignition and when I first set it up I switch them for the servo connector to match my SYSSA IBEC. Not knowing if I needed to return the ignition I left the PowerPolls on and soldered the lead to the IBEC wire.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
I cut off the power-poles on my DA ignitions and wire in a standard servo plug.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
Redwing FTW
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
You fanatics that are flying DA Engines do you leave on the PowerPoll connectors on the ignition or switch them out? I just replaced my ignition and when I first set it up I switch them for the servo connector to match my SYSSA IBEC. Not knowing if I needed to return the ignition I left the PowerPolls on and soldered the lead to the IBEC wire.
I've always left the power poles on mine, no issues with them to date. The reason I left them on was in case I was somewhere and my ignition crapped out, I could easily change it out.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Same.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Apr 2008
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I switched mine to deans..........no other reason than cuz I have lots of them and I know they are reliable and will carry the current well.
reelcoolfish is offline Find More Posts by reelcoolfish
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
I have kept my powerpoles on my DA with no problems, but I did gorilla tape them together so they do not come apart
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Ignition current is not very high. It varies with RPM...not always linear. Put a watt-meter in line and you'll see SMALL current on the ignition circuit....it's interesting to see how it changes with RPM...hard to explain, but some RPM's take more current than others. Try it and see what you think.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,234 Posts
Spread My Pants

I recently made the modification to my wheel pants by adding the wood bloc with a hole drilled in it for my axle to fit in. I have a hard time spreading my wheel pants a bit for the axle to fit in the hole, I know I can shorten the axle a tad but prefet not to. Is there a tool that can help me spread the pants a touch, something I can squeeze a handle and have the pants spread.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
A clamp or your fingers
bullittjeff is offline Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
+1 Based on wanting to do low and slow and precision, go with the 71" Slick. The Slick harriers and hovers easier than the Extra. The Edge harriers easily enough, but is not as precise as the Slick or Extra. For low and slow and precision the Slick beats both the Edge and the Extra. Consider that when you are low and slow, you have to have the utmost confidence in your plane and the Slick inspires confidence all around.

Others have already given excellent summaries of the planes you are interested in. I'll just add that there is a definite difference between the way a 59" Slick and the 71" Slick fly. Losifanatic described the flight envelope of the 59" Slick as like a "refined Extra." After flying my 59" Slick and 71" Slick, I agree.

The 60" planes are faster and quicker to react to your inputs. So, with the bigger planes you'll have to get used to things slowing down a bit. The upside is the 70" planes are smoother and even more stable than the 60" planes.

Summing up, you won't go wrong with an Edge, Extra, or Slick. Color scheme and your present skillset and future goals for your flying skills will determine the right 70" plane for you!

My opinion is the Slick beats the Extra on low and slow and is in a photo finish with the Extra for high speed/high G maneuvers. Keep in mind that your setup, i.e., speed and torque of servos, control surface throws and exponential, center of gravity, propeller diameter and pitch, etc. will all affect how each airframe performs. And don't forget latency as a factor in overall performance.

So, in a perfect world you would need to setup an Edge, Extra, and Slick identically using an identically configured transmitter to begin to determine which one is best and which one is best for you. Also, my Slicks make me look good with less effort on the sticks. With my Extras I have to work and stay on top of the inputs.

The AJ Slicks are smooth and stable when you want them to be but are capable of the most aggressive and violent maneuvers. Oh, and thanks to theKM, I can write that the Slick handles "turbulence" better than the Extra. Until theKM educated me I always thought of the plane's ability to handle wind or penetrate the wind. But how a plane handles turbulence is important when the wind is gusting and swirling at 15+ mph. Truly my Slicks sail on "Steady as she goes."

Hope this helps and happy landings!
good write-up! You are right, the slick 71 does inspire confidence in down low. I had a 68-in velox and liked it a lot. But I'm more tuned into the slick. Am getting better at torque rolls and belly-facing hover. Another big plus for the slick - IMO - is no SFG's. They are a pain in the butt - I hate any field assy at all, and big ones can get dinged on TO and landing too. (Yak 46 RIP) I have noticed the slick is good in gusty wind also. Fast servos have made a big diff on the confidence too. I went from 985mg to savox 1258 and gained better control in rolling harriers. I can make them go straight or either direction (after hours of practice!) Went to a full digital Futaba receiver from analog, and that helped with the 50% decrease in latency on the 8FG. All those equipment improvements might not be felt on a crappy plane. I can also feel the difference when I fly with 6s4000's vs the 5000's. Just a few oz makes it feel way different to me.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast