HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
For what the OP stated, I'd go 72. To me the 72 tracks a little better. In 3d the biggest difference "I" found between my 71 and 72/74 is the pitch and yaw. The 71 has better yaw, 72 better pitch. For the stuff I like to do now the pitch is more useful making things seem easier.

I liked it so much I got an 87 instead of a 89.

JMHO..
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
ahhhhhh.....robj sees the light
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
So, I've had a few 3DHS planes. I curently have a 48" Edge, a 59" Slick and an EF 60" Edge. I'm still learning how to do 3D but am getting better at it with all three. I'm looking to the future and figure a 30cc or 70-somethingish" range is the next logical move. I am planning on electric, if it matters. I have three immediate candidates in mind and am looking for advice or opinions on which to chose. I'd prefer specifics on the whys and hows around the differences, rather than just "I like X. It rocks!"

Anyway, I'm looking at the 71" Slick, 72" Extra or the 74" Edge.

Thanks.
You can't compare the 59 slick to the 71 as an fyi. I had one, now have the 71. The 71 slick is a good balance between floaty and precise. I like to do 3d and also blast around and do tumbles. Have not had the other 70-74 inch planes, but to me the slick 71 is perfect and feels very right. I have a 6s5000 and hacker a50-12L setup. It will do a low HAKE a foot off the ground down the runway forever. Locks in on hover and stable in harrier, rolling harrier circles, etcI had a 3hs 57 extra - was not as stable. Have a EF 64-in MXS which is comparable in feel to the slick, except quicker. I would think the edge would be the one for pure 3d. The extra looks more scale and I would do that as a gasser. my 2 cents.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:46 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
got tired of replacing tailwheel tiller wires. this will hopefully last a little longer.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Moving from 60" planes to 70" planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Nice video!

My vote still goes for the Slick! I think it's the best all around plane out there in this size! I think the extra is awesome in the hands of a great pilot, and does fantastic high energy stuff, but for those of us still learning, and especially the guys that like low and slow, the slick is the way to go. Losi said it the other day, the 71" slick is the best all around 25% 3d plane on the market! He's never steered me wrong, he told me to get an edge instead of an extra once and I had already ordered the extra. Flew it for two months, sold it, got the edge and had to write him a "you were right" pm! He's got over 1000 flights on a 71 slick, so I trust him! For an intermediate 3d guy still learning the moves he described I would say the Slick, Edge, then the Extra.
For me, I love all these planes, but since I am still learning and trying to master the things I do know, my slick makes me look better and it makes my learning easier because I am so comfortable with this airframe. And as mentioned above, 6s is a great setup on the slick, 8s can get pricey!
Disclaimer: this debate has no right or wrong answer! All 3 planes are insanely awesome!
+1 Based on wanting to do low and slow and precision, go with the 71" Slick. The Slick harriers and hovers easier than the Extra. The Edge harriers easily enough, but is not as precise as the Slick or Extra. For low and slow and precision the Slick beats both the Edge and the Extra. Consider that when you are low and slow, you have to have the utmost confidence in your plane and the Slick inspires confidence all around.

Others have already given excellent summaries of the planes you are interested in. I'll just add that there is a definite difference between the way a 59" Slick and the 71" Slick fly. Losifanatic described the flight envelope of the 59" Slick as like a "refined Extra." After flying my 59" Slick and 71" Slick, I agree.

The 60" planes are faster and quicker to react to your inputs. So, with the bigger planes you'll have to get used to things slowing down a bit. The upside is the 70" planes are smoother and even more stable than the 60" planes.

Summing up, you won't go wrong with an Edge, Extra, or Slick. Color scheme and your present skillset and future goals for your flying skills will determine the right 70" plane for you!

My opinion is the Slick beats the Extra on low and slow and is in a photo finish with the Extra for high speed/high G maneuvers. Keep in mind that your setup, i.e., speed and torque of servos, control surface throws and exponential, center of gravity, propeller diameter and pitch, etc. will all affect how each airframe performs. And don't forget latency as a factor in overall performance.

So, in a perfect world you would need to setup an Edge, Extra, and Slick identically using an identically configured transmitter to begin to determine which one is best and which one is best for you. Also, my Slicks make me look good with less effort on the sticks. With my Extras I have to work and stay on top of the inputs.

The AJ Slicks are smooth and stable when you want them to be but are capable of the most aggressive and violent maneuvers. Oh, and thanks to theKM, I can write that the Slick handles "turbulence" better than the Extra. Until theKM educated me I always thought of the plane's ability to handle wind or penetrate the wind. But how a plane handles turbulence is important when the wind is gusting and swirling at 15+ mph. Truly my Slicks sail on "Steady as she goes."

Hope this helps and happy landings!
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
the 72 is great at everything you mentioned. especially inverted harrier.

excellent inverted landing characteristics, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8Ee...=results_video
Enjoyed the video!

What's your setup on your 72?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,329 Posts
This is great feedback guys, just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Now, I just have to convince my wife that I really do need to spend that $1K for a new plane.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Quote:
got tired of replacing tailwheel tiller wires. this will hopefully last a little longer.
Great idea! Is that a thin carbon fiber tube?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Looks to me like a larger wire pushrod with a z bend.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Enjoyed the video!

What's your setup on your 72?
A5012L, xoar 20x10e, 6s, 7955tgs at 8v via BEC pro and 3s 1000 rxr pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Great idea! Is that a thin carbon fiber tube?
I wish...no it's a pushrod from a 48" EPP kit.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Quote:
A5012L, xoar 20x10e, 6s, 7955tgs at 8v via BEC pro and 3s 1000 rxr pack.

I wish...no it's a pushrod from a 48" EPP kit.
I think you will find that wire to be too soft....I changed the ones on my 72: Extra and 74" Edge to .047" music wire....no problems....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,359 Posts
Quote:
I'm confused. From your video I'd think the tailwheel is rarely used!

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
Looks to me like a larger wire pushrod with a z bend.
Right! Looking at the larger photo makes that clearer.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Can one 70 size plane really be easier to hover than another 70 sized plane?
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I think you will find that wire to be too soft....I changed the ones on my 72: Extra and 74" Edge to .047" music wire....no problems....

SteveT
perhaps. this wire is much thicker and stronger than the previous wire I had which was not stock. it's 2mm, or .0787402".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
I'm confused. From your video I'd think the tailwheel is rarely used!

Steve
ha!