HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I don't know how far you live from your UPS depot, but you can ask UPS to keep your package at the depot for pick up.

SteveT
That's an option, doable, but a 70 mile round trip. If I have to, I'll look into it. Maybe 3dhs would hold the shipment for a week, but that might require extra work for them if there order system is computerized.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
That's an option, doable, but a 70 mile round trip. If I have to, I'll look into it. Maybe 3dhs would hold the shipment for a week, but that might require extra work for them if there order system is computerized.
3DHS might do that....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:37 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,425 Posts
Looking for advise/opinions

So, I've had a few 3DHS planes. I curently have a 48" Edge, a 59" Slick and an EF 60" Edge. I'm still learning how to do 3D but am getting better at it with all three. I'm looking to the future and figure a 30cc or 70-somethingish" range is the next logical move. I am planning on electric, if it matters. I have three immediate candidates in mind and am looking for advice or opinions on which to chose. I'd prefer specifics on the whys and hows around the differences, rather than just "I like X. It rocks!"

Anyway, I'm looking at the 71" Slick, 72" Extra or the 74" Edge.

Thanks.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
So, I've had a few 3DHS planes. I curently have a 48" Edge, a 59" Slick and an EF 60" Edge. I'm still learning how to do 3D but am getting better at it with all three. I'm looking to the future and figure a 30cc or 70-somethingish" range is the next logical move. I am planning on electric, if it matters. I have three immediate candidates in mind and am looking for advice or opinions on which to chose. I'd prefer specifics on the whys and hows around the differences, rather than just "I like X. It rocks!"

Thanks.
I can't give you specifics....all I can say is I own and have flown all three...You can't go wrong with the Slick, the Extra is smoooth....and from what I can see of the Edge (just maidened mine), it is going to be a great flying plane....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
The 71" slick currently is my favorite plane to fly! I feel like it makes me look like a better pilot than I am! It does the extreme 3d very well, but also tracks very nicely. Easily a fan favorite, and has been for years! The extra is also an awesome plane, handles the high speed stuff a little better, and the best pilots can really ring out the extra! The edge is the floatiest of the bunch and would probably be one of the easier planes to do low slow 3d!

All in all, the 25% class at 3dhs is awesome, so you can't make a wrong decision. If you're still in a learning stage, I would go edge, if you are a 3d pilot looking to get better, go slick, if you are advanced go slick or extra!
Personally, I think the 71" Slick is a must have plane!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:27 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
What do you want the new one to do? What do you like in a plane? What is your normal flying style? Hardcore all out 3d, 3d mixed with precision flying, little bit of 3d mixed with lots of precision? Just learning 3d you said.
The way I learned how to do 3d was on a ~60" profile plane. I liked the large size of it, yet still being able to be quite maneuverable to help me get out of a bad situation as fast as possible. On the 7x" planes you will find that they are slower to react and you need more room to recover. They are way more fun to fly -for me at least. But you need to be aware of the ~10lb plane and fly a little more ahead of it than the smaller stuff. Given that, I really like the 70" Velox, and would have especially liked it while learning. It is more maneuverable than the other 3. Would have been easier for me when I was learning than the other 3 just because you can whip it around and manhandle the plane easier and better. Next I would get the Slick out of the other 7x" planes. It's a bit lighter than the Edge and Extra, and for electric that is nice. If you are going 8s it's not a problem, but on 6s setups the other two are getting to outer edge of where a 6s setup is viable just due to the extra weight and thus extra power required. I've owned, or own each of the planes you currently have, and also all the ones you are looking at. I would like to know more of what you are looking for out of the plane before I could recommend one to you though...
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:52 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogel View Post
True that. So, any news on the 2M Osiris? :-)

Peter+
I would love to know too......... It seems this plane has been top secret.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Dunno about that...it was at the FLI on June. And at a couple other fly ins. I got to touch it once.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Well, the principle designer is a busy guy. Progress is likely slow.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
What do you want the new one to do? What do you like in a plane? What is your normal flying style? Hardcore all out 3d, 3d mixed with precision flying, little bit of 3d mixed with lots of precision? Just learning 3d you said.
I've owned, or own each of the planes you currently have, and also all the ones you are looking at. I would like to know more of what you are looking for out of the plane before I could recommend one to you though...
I think it is likely a balance of 3D and precision. I love a nice, low/slow KE pass and I thnk a field length slow roll is one of the prettiest manuevers there is. I am working on improving both of those. I can do KE spins and am working on improving the transitions into and out of them, as well as inverted flat spins. I am working on harriers and hovers and beginning an introduction into rolling harriers as well as inverted harrier. I'd like to learn how to do pop tops, but that one is proving elusive for me at the moment.

Thanks guys, for the input so far.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
the 72 is great at everything you mentioned. especially inverted harrier.

excellent inverted landing characteristics, too:
IRG, INV. Harrier.. (1 min 56 sec)
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8Ee...=results_video
Lower
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8Ee...=results_video
You just need a wheel on that canopy then!
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:
I think it is likely a balance of 3D and precision. I love a nice, low/slow KE pass and I thnk a field length slow roll is one of the prettiest manuevers there is. I am working on improving both of those. I can do KE spins and am working on improving the transitions into and out of them, as well as inverted flat spins. I am working on harriers and hovers and beginning an introduction into rolling harriers as well as inverted harrier. I'd like to learn how to do pop tops, but that one is proving elusive for me at the moment.

Thanks guys, for the input so far.
I would agree with IRG, the 72 would suit you well. The Slick is not far behind either. Either of those sound like a perfect match to you. Pick the one you like the color scheme of better. I've owned both, and decided to sell one because they flew so similarly. In some moves the Extra had a slight nod, in others the Slick. But not by much. I had more flights on my Slick and was more comfortable with it, and so I chose to stick with that one personally. Plus it was lighter and had a bit better power/weight ratio. I was flying 6s setups and for that I liked the Slick. I still would, if I had 8s then I would choose whichever. But if you are planning on 6s I would probably go Slick. Or the 70" Velox (even lighter still), though it is more 3d oriented while the Slick is a good all around do everything plane.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Last edited by ryan_m; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:04 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Nice video!

My vote still goes for the Slick! I think it's the best all around plane out there in this size! I think the extra is awesome in the hands of a great pilot, and does fantastic high energy stuff, but for those of us still learning, and especially the guys that like low and slow, the slick is the way to go. Losi said it the other day, the 71" slick is the best all around 25% 3d plane on the market! He's never steered me wrong, he told me to get an edge instead of an extra once and I had already ordered the extra. Flew it for two months, sold it, got the edge and had to write him a "you were right" pm! He's got over 1000 flights on a 71 slick, so I trust him! For an intermediate 3d guy still learning the moves he described I would say the Slick, Edge, then the Extra.
For me, I love all these planes, but since I am still learning and trying to master the things I do know, my slick makes me look better and it makes my learning easier because I am so comfortable with this airframe. And as mentioned above, 6s is a great setup on the slick, 8s can get pricey!
Disclaimer: this debate has no right or wrong answer! All 3 planes are insanely awesome!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Last edited by DaaBears; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:15 PM.