Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
What do you grab onto?
The nut on the axle.... and the pliers I use are called long reach needle nose pliers

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
I got the wrench in the 87 kit but it's to small. I used scott's tip and didn't need one. 2 screws pull the pants off in a minute. no fuss.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I got the wrench in the 87 kit but it's to small. I used scott's tip and didn't need one. 2 screws pull the pants off in a minute. no fuss.
I missed the post, what is Scott's tip?
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
I missed the post, what is Scott's tip?
It may only work on the 50cc planes, the pants have 2 blind nuts in them and they screw on with hex screws. On the pant itself, you cut away some of the slot to allow the nut head to slip on, then only attach the pant with the 2 screws. The axle nut is not pinching the pant. Check out the 87 manual, it's up near the front.

Neat because if you pull up to a field and it's rough grass, 4 screws and 120 seconds and you can save your pants. Don't even have to tip the plane over.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
1,866 Posts
That's a great tip!

Did someone say garage sale???
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:29 AM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Quote:
It may only work on the 50cc planes, the pants have 2 blind nuts in them and they screw on with hex screws. On the pant itself, you cut away some of the slot to allow the nut head to slip on, then only attach the pant with the 2 screws. The axle nut is not pinching the pant. Check out the 87 manual, it's up near the front.

Neat because if you pull up to a field and it's rough grass, 4 screws and 120 seconds and you can save your pants. Don't even have to tip the plane over.
Thanks for posting the tip, that sounds great! I have seen that setup in 30cc size airplanes. It's worth a shot!
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:19 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Wonder how that would work with Joe Smiths method of using a wood bloc inside the wheel pant for the axle to fit into?
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:

yup, works on 50cc and up. I find that the width of the fatter dremel sanding drum is perfect to fit over the nuts... all it takes is firing up the dremel and pushing it into the slot. take it as far as the drum radium past the end of the slot, and it's job done.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:26 PM
Landing, HEY, I got it!!!!!
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
838 Posts
For all familiar with the saga of me learning how to fly(land), here is an update.

Been practicing Ben's landing instructions with my V1 47" Velox. After about 20 or so batteries I managed to get it down regularly with confidence. (this is a very good thing!!)

I'm stoked and have learned a great deal in the process, blenderfalls and waterchutes are a blast. Someday I'll learn to do them right but for now I love this hobby!!

Started flying my V2 SHP and I should have taken y'alls advice! That plane is Soooo forgiving and fun that I should have used it first. Didn't want to learn on a NEW plane but it would have been easier on me after all. Well, as Tina Turner said, " I don't do anything "easy""!!

Having Fun, Learning Quick.

Jeff
jcfab is offline Find More Posts by jcfab
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:29 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
838 Posts
Yes, I know.......

From here on it just get more (fun) expensive!

I'm hooked.

Jeff
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Hmm got a link to "Ben's landing instructions"?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Hmm got a link to "Ben's landing instructions"?
Why Yes, as a matter of fact!

lemme find it......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g#post18469604

That should do it I hope.

Jeff
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
838 Posts
Gotta Sleep......ZZzzzzzzzzzz

Jeff
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
yup, works on 50cc and up. I find that the width of the fatter dremel sanding drum is perfect to fit over the nuts... all it takes is firing up the dremel and pushing it into the slot. take it as far as the drum radium past the end of the slot, and it's job done.
hehe what I used.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
well, there's good news and bad news... good news is that there's some cool new accessories, bad news is your plane now doesn't have all the colour matching accessories that it possibly could... coloured ball links!

I just saw them roll through the new products list on AMain... seems they have 'em in Blue, Red, Green and Yellow in various sizes (4-40, 2-56, 2mm... so, 65" planes and up are good to go!)

...red ball link on the them sexy red throttle arms on a DA120 or DA60... nice
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM