HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:14 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogel View Post
Quite simply, increasing voltage and keeping the same basic power means that you decrease amp draw. Since increasing current increases resistance decreasing current decreases resistance and so you wind up with a more efficient power system. Yes, it'll be heavier, but you'll also decrease your current draw by 25% or so -- sticking with 2200 mAh you'll extend your flight time by about 25%, you could also drop to a smaller pack (say, 1800mAh) and perhaps come in at nearly the same weight as the 3S 2200 pack resulting in the same or slightly longer flight times as you were getting with the 3S setup.

Peter+
Resistance is constant in a DC circuit, no? I think I understand what you mean though. I'm kinda embarassed I don't know this stuff. (I'm an electrician, but we very rarely deal with batteries and their ratings.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
What plane, and what type of flying? If you're into 3D, you may benefit more from a bigger prop (more prop wash) than you would with 4S.

A rule of thumb I heard was that when you hit about 5x the voltage in amps, it's time to add a cell.

Edit: I see it's probably the 48" Edge
Yeah, it's a $1.5.

I plan to do 3D with it, and I do a bit already, if 15-20 second hovers and harriers count. The wind hasn't been cooperative for any flatspins or the like, so I haven't been doing too much in that category.

I see myself possibly getting something in the 60" range in the near future, thus my curiosity about the 4S swap. It would be nice to have everything running on the same pack.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:22 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Resistance is constant in a DC circuit, no? I think I understand what you mean though. I'm kinda embarassed I don't know this stuff. (I'm an electrician, but we very rarely deal with batteries and their ratings.)

Yeah, it's a $1.5.

I plan to do 3D with it, and I do a bit already, if 15-20 second hovers and harriers count. The wind hasn't been cooperative for any flatspins or the like, so I haven't been doing too much in that category.

I see myself possibly getting something in the 60" range in the near future, thus my curiosity about the 4S swap. It would be nice to have everything running on the same pack.
60" range is generally a 4s 3300mah at minimum... that would be pretty heavy packs for a 48" Edge. I guess you could run two smaller packs in parallel on the bigger bird. Too much trouble VS savings IMO.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,685 Posts
Yeah, I just looked at a 58 Edge, and the bottom is a 3700 mAh 4S. I thought it was a little lower than that. Guess I'd just as well go 70+ and run two 4S series....
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:46 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Now THAT is more like it! 74" Edge is one of the baddest ass looking planes ever... it was gonna be my next had I not scored an 87.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
Any of those connectors will work just fine. EC5 will be overkill in terms of size. Deans Ultra can be annoying to solder if you haven't used them before. Personally I use XT60 for that size, however that is because I had a lot of packs that came with those. If you don't want to solder, look into Anderson Powerpoles, I would go that route if I was starting out now. A lot of folks (including me) have had good luck with Gens Ace batteries from hobbypartz.com, you could also look into Haiyin batteries.
What kind and size of connectors will I need for the Hacker A30-12XL to ESC.
(thanks)
keninvic is offline Find More Posts by keninvic
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,685 Posts
Just swapped in an E-flite servo from my heli. Not the greatest, I'm sure, but it feels alot better already. The Hextronik servo felt like a ratchet when I moved it by hand....

Much Much Much smoother control, and I also made the arm a tad longer, so it will now throw a full 45 degrees. Waiting for the epoxy to dry, then I'll trim it up and hope for some decent weather tomorrow.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:23 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Yeah, I just looked at a 58 Edge, and the bottom is a 3700 mAh 4S. I thought it was a little lower than that. Guess I'd just as well go 70+ and run two 4S series....
or you can get more 3s 2200's and run two of them in series for the 58 like me and a few others do. its a great way to go. i have 12 of these packs to keep the 48, 57, and 58 in the air. 7X planes get 6s 5000 packs so one day i can double them up for an 50cc bird. i would avoid going up a cell and dropping the prop size unless you are running a 15" or 16" prop. my 48 loves the 14x7 on 3s. running a motrolfly though.
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:21 AM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,685 Posts
I run the 14 x 7 as well, and I guess my Edge loves it too, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I may end up going the series route when/if I go bigger.

Thanks again for the input guys.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
woooh... finally made a decision to migrate to power poles... (hate soldering, cant do anything about it! ) now im scratching my head, will 30A powerpoles be enough for 4000 25c 4s batteries? (for extra 57...) since i read that 30 and 45 uses just different housing... or i'd be better emailing them and swapping out to bigger powerpoles? and what about paraboard? is the only way to get 6 adapters?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:30 AM
♫ Learning to fly ♫
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
and what about paraboard? is the only way to get 6 adapters?
I set one of these up with powerpoles to use with a paraboard
dataylor57 is offline Find More Posts by dataylor57
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:55 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,124 Posts
Quote:
woooh... finally made a decision to migrate to power poles... (hate soldering, cant do anything about it! ) now im scratching my head, will 30A powerpoles be enough for 4000 25c 4s batteries? (for extra 57...) since i read that 30 and 45 uses just different housing... or i'd be better emailing them and swapping out to bigger powerpoles? and what about paraboard? is the only way to get 6 adapters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataylor57 View Post
I set one of these up with powerpoles to use with a paraboard
progressive rc has the six ended squid cables with the 45A PP's allready on them
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...rge-cable.html
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:59 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
progressive rc has the six ended squid cables with the 45A PP's allready on them
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...rge-cable.html
that cable looks nice.. but how about balancing?

oh, nvm, i watched video... but does it really makes no difference wich balancing plug goes into wich balance cable?? i was all the time thinking that has meaning...
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:19 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
45Amp power poles for everything. If the wire is too big to fit then go to 75Amp or direct solder (or remove some wire strands depending on application), if the wire is too small to get a good crimp double it back on itself.

That's what I do anyway
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:00 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
he...thanks! i already sent them email to add 10 45a powerpoles...
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:03 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,124 Posts
Quote:
that cable looks nice.. but how about balancing?

oh, nvm, i watched video... but does it really makes no difference wich balancing plug goes into wich balance cable?? i was all the time thinking that has meaning...
use the paraboard for balancing....the parallel balance cables that progressive has are junk....they will fall apart in your hand but the discharge balance harnesses are sweet....i use the PP squid then plug the balance leads into the paraboard
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph