HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:54 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogel View Post
Anyone have a video of crimping the powerpoles with the supplied crimpers? I must be missing something -- my first attempt crimped beautifully but bent the connector *and* jammed in the crimper and was a royal pain to get out. My second attempt (on the assumption that I'd put the connector in the crimper upside down didn't crimp right. Fortunately I was just using practice wire.

Peter+
too bad your so far away....ive been schooled in PP crimping.....can you get a degree in that?
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:55 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,877 Posts
I can afford to lose it as well, but I'd rather not if given the choice. It's my second plane, something I bought to learn with (cooky, I know..) so I'm in no hurry to trash it.
Plus, with track season rolling in, I've got money to spend on the bikes.... Aprilia parts aren't cheap!!!
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,233 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have a video of crimping the powerpoles with the supplied crimpers? I must be missing something -- my first attempt crimped beautifully but bent the connector *and* jammed in the crimper and was a royal pain to get out. My second attempt (on the assumption that I'd put the connector in the crimper upside down didn't crimp right. Fortunately I was just using practice wire.

Peter+
Anderson Powerpole Connectors (6 min 31 sec)
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:38 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
I have one, I like it a lot. Hold off though because they just bought PlaneWrappers.com and so they'll soon be selling plane covers with edge-to-edge graphics capability with complex graphics.

Peter+
How "soon" is soon? It'll be 100+ here in May.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
From talking to them on FaceBook, March/April. They've been churning out some test covers that look pretty good. www.planewrappers.com and/or follow B&E Graphix on facebook.

Peter+
pvogel is online now Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:54 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Anyone know when they are getting the aurora 9 back in stock? I want to buy it from 3dhs so i can get points for it. I shot them a email but i know they are busy with the craziness that's going on over there.
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
too bad your so far away....ive been schooled in PP crimping.....can you get a degree in that?
I think I was doing it "right" the first time, I'm just used to crimpers that don't continue to apply pressure after they "release" so I just squeeze like mad -- looks like these crimpers give a release click but can be overpressured.

Peter+
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
I think I was doing it "right" the first time, I'm just used to crimpers that don't continue to apply pressure after they "release" so I just squeeze like mad -- looks like these crimpers give a release click but can be overpressured.

Peter+
these crimpers ratchet. so you don't have to do it all in one squeeze. in fact you can damage crimpers like this doing that. you just give the initial squeeze and keep releasing and squeezing until the jaws release. they are made to bite down to the same point every time before they release unless you hit the switch on the inside of the handle. its easier to do three or four little squeezes so you can better tell when that release point is. the damage comes after that point. I hope that makes sense. the reason they do this is so that you don't get a partial crimp. makes it idiot proof to get the proper pressure on the terminal every time.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:16 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
and the correct way to insert the terminals into these is to place it so that the contact side of the terminal points to the top of the jaws. on the 45A the open part of the terminal points up to make a U shape
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:56 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,877 Posts
Quick question for you guys; I'm looking to order some more Lipos, and I'm wondering if switching from the current 3S 2200 setup to a 4S would be of any advantage? There's negligible cost difference, and I assume flight time would go up a bit, along with weight. I've got a E-flite power 25 (870 kv), Airboss 40A esc. Switching to 4S would require a smaller prop size, per 3DHS' website (no big deal there, props are cheap) but I'd like to know the ins and outs before I make a battery order. Thanks again for your help and patience, fellas!
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,780 Posts
What plane, and what type of flying? If you're into 3D, you may benefit more from a bigger prop (more prop wash) than you would with 4S.

A rule of thumb I heard was that when you hit about 5x the voltage in amps, it's time to add a cell.

Edit: I see it's probably the 48" Edge
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quite simply, increasing voltage and keeping the same basic power means that you decrease amp draw. Since increasing current increases resistance decreasing current decreases resistance and so you wind up with a more efficient power system. Yes, it'll be heavier, but you'll also decrease your current draw by 25% or so -- sticking with 2200 mAh you'll extend your flight time by about 25%, you could also drop to a smaller pack (say, 1800mAh) and perhaps come in at nearly the same weight as the 3S 2200 pack resulting in the same or slightly longer flight times as you were getting with the 3S setup.

Peter+
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
Here's one of the shots they have on their FaceBook page as they learn the equipment:

Peter+
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:13 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Does anybody have any Spektrum a5040 servos? I need them for my 58 edge.

PM me if you have some.

Thanks.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:14 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
double post
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97