HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I have come to the conclusion that fast servos aren't necessarily a good thing! I loved my old 985's... have had some difficulty adjusting to the fast servos!
100% agreed.... I don't like super fast servos either. It's makes the plane too twitchy for me. Though I don't really care for the 985s after going to the 7985s
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
+1, I found my best pop top plane was the old 70. couldn't get the same thing on the 71. Difference? 70 has 985's and 71 super fast ds610(savox). I slowed down the inputs and presto! I can do them(poorly) Joe style, slam sticks upper corners, then full down and left stick left corner. then a little throttle to keep it going(I think). My fingers don't usually move as fast as needed for this one.
Left stick left corner
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
super fast servos (excluding the new brushless) tend to use more juice than the slower ones. besides anything faster than .15 is faster than you can react anyways.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
Not exactly. When you move the stick from center to corner...you can DO that very fast.....for example a hard tumble. With fast servos, the plane reacts "crisp"....with slow servos, it feels like a slug. Just one example.

In my opinion...faster servos are ALWAYS better and worth the money, the planes just FEEL better. I don't want my planes to "mask" poor inputs or make my flying "smoother" just by slowly reacting...I expect them to move NOW when I give an input.

Ever since I overpowered the 104 ailerons with 3 7955's per wing...it felt SO good with full power and plenty of speed....then my 74 got fast servos....and so on...I'll never go back.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
I had sped up my 7985s on my 71 by upping the voltage to 7+ volts. They were to fast for me to keep the plane smooth on high rates. I backed them down to 6.3 volts and they are still very crisp but my plane feels smoother. I upped the power on the 7955s in the 89 and I am really liking it. That plane is smooth no matter what I do to it
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:09 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
.06 on the 9352's....
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivens View Post
not exactly. When you move the stick from center to corner...you can do that very fast.....for example a hard tumble. With fast servos, the plane reacts "crisp"....with slow servos, it feels like a slug. Just one example.

In my opinion...faster servos are always better and worth the money, the planes just feel better. I don't want my planes to "mask" poor inputs or make my flying "smoother" just by slowly reacting...i expect them to move now when i give an input.

Ever since i overpowered the 104 ailerons with 3 7955's per wing...it felt so good with full power and plenty of speed....then my 74 got fast servos....and so on...i'll never go back.

+1!!
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
Learning is worth the effort
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2009
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Not exactly. When you move the stick from center to corner...you can DO that very fast.....for example a hard tumble. With fast servos, the plane reacts "crisp"....with slow servos, it feels like a slug. Just one example.

In my opinion...faster servos are ALWAYS better and worth the money, the planes just FEEL better. I don't want my planes to "mask" poor inputs or make my flying "smoother" just by slowly reacting...I expect them to move NOW when I give an input.

Ever since I overpowered the 104 ailerons with 3 7955's per wing...it felt SO good with full power and plenty of speed....then my 74 got fast servos....and so on...I'll never go back.
Great advise!!
lbrinson is online now Find More Posts by lbrinson
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
I agree totally, I run 7955's and 54's on 7.4 and love them compared to slow servos, I also like having more torque than minimum recommended. that said, even though I DID notice a difference between my ultra fast servos compared to old slower ones, I don't think that many people will notice .04 seconds in transit since the average human reaction time is .25 seconds. That said I havent tried some of the ULTRA fast HV's from savox, futaba or JR yet even though I was eyeing the savox brushless .06 second servos for the ailerons!

Quote:

nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,054 Posts
Totally agree - faster is way better
You can really feel the difference
Expo softens the centers
Love the HS 7940 TG's on my 71 Slick and 72 Extra (0.06 sec speeds)

Joe
JK13 is offline Find More Posts by JK13
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:19 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,446 Posts
Quote:
I don't want my planes to "mask" poor inputs or make my flying "smoother" just by slowly reacting
+1

Slow servos make my flying look smoother, but they don't feel as connected. Fast servos perfom tumbles, pop tops, etc, much better IMO.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Reaction time may only be .25 seconds, but I like most of my flying to be planned out ahead of time by at least one maneuver. The idea is to not have to 'react' to the plane at all. It should only be doing what you planned on it doing. Under these circumstances reaction time doesn't even come into play and fast servos become very useful.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:48 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,293 Posts
Quote:

7955's aren't fast though... on 6.0 volt the spec says .15 sec/60 degrees.
I actually think 7955's are a good speed and like them. By fast I mean things that are in the .08 or quicker range. I ran some Align 610/Savox 1258's on my 70" Slick at 6.5 volts. They are rated .08 sec at 6 volt, so they were that or faster. It took some getting used to when I was used to 985's, which are rated at .13 sec/60 degrees. Timing on a few things was off and it was different.
On larger planes I would expect the faster the better. On 70" planes they react so much quicker than 50 or 100cc planes anyways that super fast servos will definitely be noticeable. Once I got used to them it was better, but still the plane showed every sloppy move I made. I don't have nearly the thumbs that you do Bivens! I think that for me servos in the .10-.12 range are probably my ideal.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Left stick left corner
left stick...left lower corner. Check out Joe's radio view videos.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:21 AM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
left stick...left lower corner. Check out Joe's radio view videos.
Where can I find the video ?
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc